Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Monet St. Croix Appreciation Thread 2023

I was looking to post in a Monet Appreciation thread and saw there wasn't one. So, here's one.

Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Who do you think is a better match to Monet? Of Synch or Strong Guy? I'm not going to count Sabretooth.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I have loved Monet since she first appeared in that car, silent, staring at the rain outside, beautifully drawn by a very young Joe Madureira.

I'm extremely excited about her Uncanny Avengers membership and hope she finds a home elsewhere once that concludes, she's way too good a character not to be used regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I have loved Monet since she first appeared in that car, silent, staring at the rain outside, beautifully drawn by a very young Joe Madureira.

I'm extremely excited about her Uncanny Avengers membership and hope she finds a home elsewhere once that concludes, she's way too good a character not to be used regularly.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I was instantly in love with her from the scene you posted, and everything about her in Phalanx Covenant.

I'm very curious about her dynamic with the other Uncanny Avengers and I've so far enjoyed how Duggan has written her.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Who do you think is a better match to Monet? Of Synch or Strong Guy? I'm not going to count Sabretooth.

Monet and Everett were crushing on each other before, during, and after he was nearly killed in an explosion.

While Everett and Laura were crushing on each other during and after their stint in the vault so, I'm torn between these two ships...

As far as I'm concerned, Guido and Victor can have each other
    Last edited by Micabe; 07-02-2023 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Pic(s) added.

First time I ever saw this character was a trading card I got as a kid in the 90s. (Still have it!) Always thought she looked really freakn cool. still wouldn't read anything with her in it until last year when I found myself wanting to read every book Rahne Sinclair was in. So Peter David's 06 X-Factor. I also read all of Generation X soon after. She's really cool and I hope she gets a good role in her upcoming book.
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I actually am going to go with Sabretooth. It's definitely not healthy, but it's the most interesting one to read about. The two compliment each other's flaws and personalities to at least make them entertaining. But I view this as more of a Batman/Catwoman kind of thing. I don't expect them to actually end up with each other, nor should they.

Synch/Monet is just a teenage romance that has run it's course now that the two characters are adults. Synch is better off now with the Old Laura/Talon who he spent time with in the Vault any way in my opinion.

Monet/Strong Guy was all right for the story being told at the time, but like Monet/Synch I personally feel that it's time has come and gone.

Just my opinions.
    Last edited by Thievery; 07-03-2023 at 04:51 AM.

Stole this from a pairing thread on here but Monet and Sunspot might work.
    I didn't get the impression Stronguy and Monet was really going to work but I can't think of a actual reason to object. Love me some Guido!
    ~*Earthbound.

Quote Originally Posted by wlfking View Post
    Stole this from a pairing thread on here but Monet and Sunspot might work.
    I didn't get the impression Stronguy and Monet was really going to work but I can't think of a actual reason to object. Love me some Guido!
    I was going to post that, myself. Monet and Roberto would be an interesting power couple. Or they'd kill each other. Either way -- fun!

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I actually am going to go with Sabretooth. It's definitely not healthy, but it's the most interesting one to read about. The two compliment each other's flaws and personalities to at least make them entertaining. But I view this as more of a Batman/Catwoman kind of thing. I don't expect them to actually end up with each other, nor should they.

Synch/Monet is just a teenage romance that has run it's course now that the two characters are adults. Synch is better off now with the Old Laura/Talon who he spent time with in the Vault any way in my opinion.

Monet/Strong Guy was all right for the story being told at the time, but like Monet/Synch I personally feel that it's time has come and gone.

Just my opinions.
    I agree with mostly this. I still like Monet & Synch, but it appears their time as lovers has come to an end and the teenage passion they now had is a thing of the past.

I hated her with Strong Guy and Darwin. Because it seems they both were just thirsty for her, while calling it love. Especially with Strong Guy carrying around a topless picture of her.

Loved her & Creed as Bunn was writing it. Pak too all the interest out of it & wrote none of the characters in a satisfying way, imo with lots of contradictions. But like her & Synch, their time has passed, and it may not even by canon anymore.

lol

But 616 Victor is a truly awful person. I realize it was during the inversion, but still. Assuming said inversion would last in universe and becoming romantically involved is if so very foolish.

Um, no. I still want M and Synch back together. It's criminal no one has even had them have a conversation together since his resurrection. I know the end of Generation X was a long time ago, but it needs to be at least touched upon. Acting like Hickman's cliff notes on hundreds of years of a 'relationship' told in an issue or two was more of a solid foundation than an entire 75 issue run is ridiculous.

I mean, even in PAD's X-Factor[which I thought was actually a downgrade for Monet overall], he acknowledged her suicidal thoughts, which I felt was a response to her losing Synch(and all of GenX imploding in the wake of his death. Y'all forget Emma started drinking heavy after that, and all the GenX kids were afraid of her and basically hugged Sean on their way out, running away from her) and of course all the trauma from her own family(Marius/Penance/the twins). If anything, I felt like Ev actually got Monet to let her guard down and be a human for a hot second. Then he died, and she armored up again. I feel like them just talking for a whole issue could be an incredible story.

Sabretooth, Darwin, and Guido are a hard pass for me.

Although I dooooo LOVE the idea of a Synch/M/Sunspot love triangle or even some sort of polycule/threesome! Roberto and Monet are actually very similar in a lot of ways, it's surprising no one has tried that(@Al Ewing, please, PLEASE! bring Monet onto the Red squad, I also want more Storm/M moments too!!!) yet.

I will say, though, that although Hickman was far from perfect, and left a huge story point unexplored(M getting the Penance form back again, willfully??), when he wrote M in that Storm story, it was as if Monet had actually returned straight from the pages of Generation X. That was great to witness.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 07-04-2023 at 10:50 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Especially with Strong Guy carrying around a topless picture of her.
    I don't remember that. Geez!

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    I was going to post that, myself. Monet and Roberto would be an interesting power couple. Or they'd kill each other. Either way -- fun!
    Yep! I didn't think of it myself though. Total theft! Which I assume wont get me kicked off this board if I admit it while doing it.

Did anyone have trouble understanding Monet's her origin story? As it was coming out or for those that read it later? Do you feel it makes sense and that they did a good job with it? Happy with the fate of Penance?
    ~*Earthbound.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Um, no. I still want M and Synch back together. It's criminal no one has even had them have a conversation together since his resurrection. I know the end of Generation X was a long time ago, but it needs to be at least touched upon. Acting like Hickman's cliff notes on hundreds of years of a 'relationship' told in an issue or two was more of a solid foundation than an entire 75 issue run is ridiculous.

I mean, even in PAD's X-Factor[which I thought was actually a downgrade for Monet overall], he acknowledged her suicidal thoughts, which I felt was a response to her losing Synch(and all of GenX imploding in the wake of his death. Y'all forget Emma started drinking heavy after that, and all the GenX kids were afraid of her and basically hugged Sean on their way out, running away from her) and of course all the trauma from her own family(Marius/Penance/the twins). If anything, I felt like Ev actually got Monet to let her guard down and be a human for a hot second. Then he died, and she armored up again. I feel like them just talking for a whole issue could be an incredible story.

Sabretooth, Darwin, and Guido are a hard pass for me.

Although I dooooo LOVE the idea of a Synch/M/Sunspot love triangle or even some sort of polycule/threesome! Roberto and Monet are actually very similar in a lot of ways, it's surprising no one has tried that(@Al Ewing, please, PLEASE! bring Monet onto the Red squad, I also want more Storm/M moments too!!!) yet.

I will say, though, that although Hickman was far from perfect, and left a huge story point unexplored(M getting the Penance form back again, willfully??), when he wrote M in that Storm story, it was as if Monet had actually returned straight from the pages of Generation X. That was great to witness.
    Synch does meet Monet again but it's in Unlimited Infinity Comic #41 which is exclusive to the Marvel Unlimited app.(I swear I've been mixing all these damn unlimited and infinity words up and I'm apologizing for that now. lol) It's a really short read and I think one Gen X member doesn't even make it which is a really weird thing to do to a group that seems to never get much in the way of reunions.
    Last edited by wlfking; 07-04-2023 at 11:10 AM.
    ~*Earthbound.

I found Monet almost completely unrecognizable as a character in her Sabretooth flirting era, so I could never vote for that.

Honestly, her and Warren have a vibe going. I wouldn't be mad.

I have a feeling Monet might get together with Quicksilver in Uncanny Avengers, actually.