Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Rey Palpatine vs Xena

Rey is armed with an ordinary steel sword. Otherwise a standard arena match.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Barring her using the Force to win, somehow, Rey gets murdered as she has no training/experience with ordinary steel swords.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Barring her using the Force to win, somehow, Rey gets murdered as she has no training/experience with ordinary steel swords.
    She didn't have any training or experience with a lightsaber yet that didn't slow her down....

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    She didn't have any training or experience with a lightsaber yet that didn't slow her down....
    For Rumbles purposes, that doesn't mean she can do it with a sword. Completely different weapon, and she has no feats for using it.

...Unless we say that Rey's natural talent for using lightsabers carries over to natural talent with using swords or any other melee weapon. Which doesn't seem particularly kosher for Rumbles.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Rey would fry Xena with Force Lightning or otherwise ragdoll her with Force. So, if Rey is allowed the use of the Force and she gets angry enough to temporarily lose control (as she did at least twice in canon), she'd likely seriously injure if not kill Xena by accident. So, this is a no-contest Rey wins, IMHO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

For Rumbles purposes, that doesn't mean she can do it with a sword. Completely different weapon, and she has no feats for using it.

...Unless we say that Rey's natural talent for using lightsabers carries over to natural talent with using swords or any other melee weapon. Which doesn't seem particularly kosher for Rumbles.
    I don't know I would just assume if she can master a future light sword with no explanation she can probably at least adapt to a regular steel sowd I mean wouldn't that be like saying one piece zero would lose a fight if he had to use a lightsaber because he never used one before? Or Han wouldn't be able to use a AK47? The only big difference seems to be weight.
    Last edited by choptop; 07-02-2023 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Rey would fry Xena with Force Lightning or otherwise ragdoll her with Force. So, if Rey is allowed the use of the Force and she gets angry enough to temporarily lose control (as she did at least twice in canon), she'd likely seriously injure if not kill Xena by accident. So, this is a no-contest Rey wins, IMHO.
    Now there we go. Good reasons, those. ^_^

I don't know I would just assume if she can master a future light sword with no explanation she can probably at least adapt to a regular steel sowd I mean wouldn't that be like saying one piece zero would lose a fight if he had to use a lightsaber because he never used one before? Or Han wouldn't be able to use a AK47? The only big difference seems to be weight.
    That’s a false equivalency (as a note, no, I would not expect Han Solo to be able to use an AK-47 as well as he would a blaster, not without feats).

There is a big weight difference between the two, and an even more vast difference in weight distribution/balance. The lightsaber handles enormously different than a sword.

And in use, it's actually often used more like a stick than a sword, or as a chopping tool rather than a cutter.

Might as well say 'she knows how to use a lightsabre, why not a battle axe?'

The two weapons are not at all the same in handling or use; therefore by Rumbles Rules, she doesn't get handwaved ability to use the sword.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 07-03-2023 at 04:42 AM.
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

She didn't master a lightsaber without training, though?

In the first movie she only stood a chance against a heavily wounded Kylo Ren who was having a massive emotional breakdown, and by the time she fought in the second movie she had about as much training as Luke did (only with probably a lot more general combat experience from her time living alone with a staff for protection) when he fought Vader, and by the third movie it was shown that even with additional training from Leia, Kylo Ren was still notably her superior in direct combat when his mind was actually in the game.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 07-04-2023 at 10:01 PM. Reason: formatting and spelling

Astonishing Member

It's all the force usage or they fall in love. Without being able to block the discus with the Force, Rey loses her head in this fight.

Now there we go. Good reasons, those. ^_^

That’s a false equivalency (as a note, no, I would not expect Han Solo to be able to use an AK-47 as well as he would a blaster, not without feats).

There is a big weight difference between the two, and an even more vast difference in weight distribution/balance. The lightsaber handles enormously different than a sword.

And in use, it's actually often used more like a stick than a sword, or as a chopping tool rather than a cutter.

Might as well say 'she knows how to use a lightsabre, why not a battle axe?'

The two weapons are not at all the same in handling or use; therefore by Rumbles Rules, she doesn't get handwaved ability to use the sword.
    I guess you're right but about a AK47 it's actually one of the easiest guns to use child soldiers master it with little to no trouble Han can probably figure it out.

I guess you're right but about a AK47 it's actually one of the easiest guns to use child soldiers master it with little to no trouble Han can probably figure it out.
    Sure, he could figure it out. But it doesn't shoot the same as a blaster. I wouldn't hand Han an AK-47 for a thread and suggest he could no-look shoot people with it the same as he does with his blaster pistol.

Give him time to train, would there be some good carry-over? Probably. Would he become a good shot with it? Probably.

Picking it up, never having touched it before, would I figure Han could shoot it as well and accurately as he shoots his blaster pistol, the blaster pistol he has used hundreds of times through his life, the blaster pistol with which he has practiced, etc? Not a chance.
    Why are we here?

Sure, he could figure it out. But it doesn't shoot the same as a blaster. I wouldn't hand Han an AK-47 for a thread and suggest he could no-look shoot people with it the same as he does with his blaster pistol.

Give him time to train, would there be some good carry-over? Probably. Would he become a good shot with it? Probably.

Picking it up, never having touched it before, would I figure Han could shoot it as well and accurately as he shoots his blaster pistol, the blaster pistol he has used hundreds of times through his life, the blaster pistol with which he has practiced, etc? Not a chance.

I agree but then again a AK47 isn't made for target shooting it just kinda sprays out as many bullets at a time as possible.
    I still think she can probably use a sword alright she's not going to be a master with it but I don't see her cutting her own arms off ether.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

if we spot rey force powers, do we spot all the other bullshit xena has mastered when she was alive and dead?

if not and its just them with swords and no powers, xena wins. she's is a ridiculesly skilled warrior, having thrown down with hercules a few times, thrown hands with aries and kicked the crap out of the persian army in a barn to the degree that ran from her because she said greece was full of women like her.

I agree but then again a AK47 isn't made for target shooting it just kinda sprays out as many bullets at a time as possible.
    It still needs to be accurately fired, and people require training to do so. Han would not have that training. Ergo, there's no way he's shooting an AK-47 as well as he shoots a blaster.

I mean, we could go with something like '9mm pistol' and point out that Han isn't going to be as good with a 9mm pistol as he is with a blaster, either. Will he be terrible? Probably not. Will he be as good as he would be with his blaster? Again, no. Blaster is not a 9mm pistol. It handles differently (before someone says 'you have no proof a blaster handles differently than a 9mm pistol', I invite people to find a way to argue that something firing a package of ionized gas is going to handle identically to a 9mm slugthrower).

I still think she can probably use a sword alright she's not going to be a master with it but I don't see her cutting her own arms off ether.
    You might think that, but there's nothing to back it up for Rumbles' purposes. Unless you have some feats of which I am unaware.

Also, I have never once said Rey is going to cut her own arms off or anything of the sort - getting into a bit of a strawman with that argument.

I'm saying that the fighter with no training or experience with swords and no actual feats for using swords is going to get absolutely murdered in a sword-fight by the fighter who has umpteen seasons worth of killing her way through small armies of people with a sword without taking so much as a wound.

I mean, we can talk about force powers and 'Rey wins because of TK or Force Lightning or that stuff', sure, but she's not winning sword-verus-sword.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 07-03-2023 at 05:46 PM.
    Why are we here?

I agree with Sharp here. She’s unlikely to be completely inept, but lightsaber and sword aren’t remotely comparable, and proficiency with the former means next to nothing with the latter. There’s no direct correlation beyond ‘Has a grip’.

Unless she has demonstrable sword feats (Hint: she doesn’t), we can’t just handwave her swordsmanship competence.
    Chief Curmudgeon