Default Conan The Barbarian vs Tarzan

Original novel/pulp fiction versions

1) In the Arena
    2) In a Jungle
    3) In a mysterious temple setting where there are random Lovecraftian horror cultists who want to kill any intruders
    4) In a modern city complete with people
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Original novel/pulp fiction versions

1) In the Arena
    2) In a Jungle
    3) In a mysterious temple setting where there are random Lovecraftian horror cultists who want to kill any intruders
    4) In a modern city complete with people
    Probably Tarzan in a jungle. In fairness, I suppose there should also be a desert setting.

Other than that, I don't know. But I am realizing that none of us have to work today and we're bored.
    Power with Girl is better.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

I haven't read Conan... Did he pack ranged weaponry? Because in the first book, Tarzan's go-to weapon was a bow with extremely poisonous arrows.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I haven't read Conan... Did he pack ranged weaponry? Because in the first book, Tarzan's go-to weapon was a bow with extremely poisonous arrows.
    Conan really doesn't, and outside of the arena I feel isn't even going to get a chance to dodge. Tarzan is pretty sneaky.

Inside the arena, I'm sure he has feats for dodging/catching/parrying arrows, but I'm unsure he ever pulled that kind of thing off against an archer of Tarzan's ability.

Now, he may have feats for RESISTING poison, and probably does...but I'm willing to bet that it at the least debilitates him.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Conan really doesn't, and outside of the arena I feel isn't even going to get a chance to dodge. Tarzan is pretty sneaky.

Inside the arena, I'm sure he has feats for dodging/catching/parrying arrows, but I'm unsure he ever pulled that kind of thing off against an archer of Tarzan's ability.

Now, he may have feats for RESISTING poison, and probably does...but I'm willing to bet that it at the least debilitates him.
    How powerful is Tarzan's bow?

Contrary to popular belief, Conan does tend to wear armor when apropriate. Would the arrow be able to punch through it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Conan's pretty good for avoiding attacks from ambush. In Tower of the Elephant, his "savage instinct" alerts him to an attack by a lion that comes from behind and "made no sound." In Beyond the Black River, he avoids arrows from ambushing Picts when he hears a bow being drawn. In Iron Shadows in the Moon, he dodges (while rescuing a girl) a boulder hurled by an ape from out of sight. All of these are attacks from creatures or people called out as being pretty stealthy. I'm not sure Tarzan could reliably avoid alerting Conan.

I'm not sure that Conan ever really gets poisoned.

Ignoring the bow, I feel like they should be pretty closely matched in hand-to-hand. Tarzan's fight with Kerchak and Conan's fight with the man-ape in Iron Shadows in the Moon are both described extremely similarly, for example, so it's hard for me to say that one would have the edge if they were armed the same.