Mighty Member

Default streaming wars state of the union

So, this past year feels like a roller coaster...mergers content being deleted for tax write-offs cancellations and now a writer's strike.

So, as of now, which streamer is in the best shape? Or none of them?

Ultimate Member

Netflix (despite folks saying wokeness has killed them) seems to be in best shape. Interestingly, the password restrictions that Netflix brought in boosted subs.

The rest of them just seem to be "getting by". Disney+ still doesn't have much programming, HBO Max are rebranding again, Amazon Prime is just an add on for many folks and Paramount + seems to be dying slowly.

Extraordinary Member

I would say Netflix but aren't they billions in debt? Amazon is probably the most healthy. And the others are just bleeding out...

Astonishing Member

I personally think Apple and Amazon are sort of set up the best because they have live sports and that's a huge draw. Disney sort of has that with ESPN plus but its an add on. I think long-term if you are going to be a player you need live sports and other things. Even music ect.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I would say Netflix but aren't they billions in debt? Amazon is probably the most healthy. And the others are just bleeding out...
    Nevermind.

10 char
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-03-2023 at 08:53 PM.

Apple, Amazon, & Disney (Plus and Hulu) have the best long-term prospects because both Apple and Amazon make literally a billion dollars a day in sales while Disney makes 80 million a on their parks alone daily. For those 3 streaming services is just their side hustle. The same can be said to an extent for Comcast with Peacock their difference is their main service cable is losing money every year with more and more people cutting the cord, but they still have Internet and Phone to fall back on.

Paramount+ isn't in the best place because they don't have a ton of things to draw people to their service and say this as a huge Trek Fan. Now they have National Amusements behind them, but I don't think they have the finances to keep funding P+ if it doesn't pick up within the next 2 or 3 years.

Max with WB, HBO, TCM, DC, Looney Tunes, Discovery, & etc. have arguably the best library for a streaming service but poor marketing, branding, and selling off of side library is hurting them. They also don't have any other corporate daddy to fall back on unlike Peacock or P+ and no other massive source of revenue outside of entertainment unlike Apple, Amazon or Disney. Sadly, they probably had a brighter future under AT&T since HBOMax wasn't their main revenue of money and they were invested in growing it.

Lastly the main juggernaut in the streaming wars is Netflix the biggest at the moment but much like Max there are some long-term issues. Unlike Warner Bros Discovery they are invested in making Netflix work which is a catch 22. While WB Discovery might not have any other massive avenues of sales outside of film, they don't rely on streaming alone they have networks and more importantly WB Studios itself. Netflix is just Netflix a company that is a bit of a fugazi they have more debt than equity and not a lot of physical assets when compared to debt. They're definitely a project success and everyone will believe it company. & no pun intended but I can't help but think when will their House of Cards fall.

Prime--an add on to prime shipping, kindle, music, comics and others so its in great shape. Plus has peoples digital and vod films.

Max--not great. Dumped most of it's animation stuff at a studio with a huge animation history and gutted it's hubs.

Boomerang--abandoned and forgot by wb. Has not been updated in almost two years just like the channel!

Crunchyroll--was in great shape. Greedy sony of course killed the free the ads and i bet that hurt them and anime in america. Know alot of people that watched it free with ads and can't now. Thanks sony.

Disney plus--hurting but also still has the family crowd. Moana is still one of the highest viewed movies on streaming for over 5 years now!

Hulu--has live channels but is also stuck in the disney / universal war with ownership.

Crackle/ pluto tv / tubi--these free with ad sites are doing really well from reports.

Netflix--owns money but at the same time had a big boost from ending password sharing and bigger boost buying the other streamers stuff. They now have disney, wb and others on there!

Peacock/ paramount plus--who? Yeah they are doing awful. Shame as paramount has a big nickelodeon page.

Apple--it's apple. They will be fine even if they are not doing as well plus like prime has peoples digital and vod films.

Plex--well its free with ads are doing well but most people use it for their own films.

Vudu--they say they are doing well with the free with ads and have peacock there now but most just use it for digital and vod films.

A side not. NBC, which had the Tour de France on it's Sports Channel, now is exclusive to Peacock, which no longer has a free with ads option. So, I guess they will get a small uptick in subscriptions for one month. Not enough to make a difference. While generating a lot of ill will among US fans of cycling. Good job all around.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Isn't MAX kind of ahead of the curve though? Regarding animation, they signed a deal with Amazon for DC stuff that won't be part of the DC Gunnverse or whatever it's going to be called. Aren't they also setting up a FAST service?(not really familiar with that btw, but have heard the name) and what is it supposed to do? House the content they took off the platform like Westworld? Plus I've heard they're supposed to be more profitable next year.

Netflix
    Amazon
    MAX
    Disney
    The Rest...

Astonishing Member

I found enough interesting stuff to kill time on Tubi. Now, I do Crunchy but I'm not renewing Netflix or going to Disney or Paramount for a show or two.

Yeah honestly, I watch Tubi more than any other streaming service and it's the free one.

I have Netflix for when I want to binge a show like Stranger Things or Wednesday.
    I have Max just for the DC stuff, like watching Harley Quinn or Young Justice on the animated side, and Doom Patrol or Peacemaker on the live action side.
    I have Disney for the occasional MCU thing that catches my interest (really need to check out Werewolf by Night already) or Disney originals that catch my eye (loved Hocus Pocus 2, looking forward to Haunted Mansion, need to watch Cruella already).
    I have Tubi because, honestly, they've got a better selection of older and weirder horror films than the other three and that stuff's my jam.

Think those will do good long term.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

I'm pausing netflix and Disney currently to catch up on Star Trek content on Paramout+. While the service feels... unfinished (subtitles and dubbed versions not nearly on a Netflix level), I was pleasantly surprised with the selection of old movies from the Paramount library. I think they could still expand that massively with more movies from the 30s to 90s to appeal to the movie buffs.

I have a few streaming service for my dad. But he watches mostly Tubi and Youtube on his Roku. I have Disney+/Hulu, Paramount, and Peacock. I cancelled my Netflix. I watch Disney plus for the animated Marvel shows and have it on in the background as I write or am falling alseep. To be honest if it were not for my dad I would cancel pretty much all of my streaming as I dont watch tv enough to justify the cost.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.