Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post Do Mutants develops 'Secondary Mutation'?

Although most of the mutants have gained their powers through the changing X-genes in their bodies. I wonder if any mutants may release another mutation thus call 'Secondary Mutation'.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Secondary Mutations were a thing for a hot second when Grant Morrison was writing New X-Men and Emma's diamond form became instantly iconic.

But I don't think Morrison himself ever intended for it to become widespread and give mutants a second random power - case in point, it never really took off as a concept and you can probably count all the cases on the finger of Nightcrawler's hand. Only Chuck Austen's Archangel and his healing blood comes to mind as another official Secondary Mutation.

That said, I quite like what Warren Ellis did with Secondary Mutations and the "David Haller Syndrome" in the X-Men Anime a few years later, I thought that was a fun take.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Although most of the mutants have gained their powers through the changing X-genes in their bodies. I wonder if any mutants may release another mutation thus call 'Secondary Mutation'.
    At one time some developed a secondary mutation. It was quite a thing. It meant Beast kept on developing new looks (from the original Beast look to a more lion like look and then the gorilla like look), Emma and the Cuckoos suddenly had their diamond form mutation added. Some seemed to have been triggered (Emma by Cassandra, Beast by injecting stuff in himself, I believe).

Regarding the Cuckoos, besides the diamond form they also were able to fly, this was seen in Phoenix Warsong mini series (recommended to read). However, that was rarely seen. However, that was rarely seen afterwards and seems to be forgotten, now they just float sometimes, like all telepaths.

Others who got secondary mutations were;
    Iceman - Organic Ice Form, so could reform after being shattered
    Elixer - Gold skin
    Black Tom - Was now able to take Plant form as well
    Masque as well I believe, just forgot what it was.

After Morrison left, the secondary mutations were kind of forgotten by the rest of the writers. The ones that were shown stayed (well except the flying Cuckoos), but no new secondary mutations ever appeared as far as my memory goes.
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 07-04-2023 at 12:31 AM.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    At one time some developed a secondary mutation. It was quite a thing. It meant Beast kept on developing new looks (from the original Beast look to a more lion like look and then the gorilla like look), Emma and the Cuckoos suddenly had their diamond form mutation added. Some seemed to have been triggered (Emma by Cassandra, Beast by injecting stuff in himself, I believe).

Regarding the Cuckoos, besides the diamond form they also were able to fly, this was seen in Phoenix Warsong mini series (recommended to read). However, that was rarely seen. However, that was rarely seen afterwards and seems to be forgotten, now they just float sometimes, like all telepaths.

Others who got secondary mutations were;
    Iceman - Organic Ice Form, so could reform after being shattered
    Elixer - Gold skin
    Black Tom - Was now able to take Plant form as well
    Masque as well I believe, just forgot what it was.

After Morrison left, the secondary mutations were kind of forgotten by the rest of the writers. The ones that were shown stayed (well except the flying Cuckoos), but no new secondary mutations ever appeared as far as my memory goes.
    Wolfsbane was given the ability to turn into a pack of wolves from secondary mutation Santa. I hardly see anyone say they like the ability though.

I believe that time Wolverine had claws that heat up was also a secondary mutation but I'm really not sure.
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.

All-New Member

Polaris was able to absorb negative emotional energy to increase size, stamina and strength.

Quote Originally Posted by French X-man View Post
    Polaris was able to absorb negative emotional energy to increase size, stamina and strength.
    that wasn't really the same thing, that was just her powers changing because reasons, and not a secondary mutation.

however... lots of changes to powers... despite not being labeled as such, could be categorized as secondary mutations.

I think there's a distinction to be made between a character's power evolving and allowing for different feats and the development of a completely unrelated power.

I'd argue Iceman being able to turn into organic ice is more of an evolution of his existing power set, while the Beast's mutation (which might have been referred to as secondary at the time) feels more like a continued effect of his own experimenting on himself, as described during Bendis' run.

Black Tom turning into a plant sounds more like a genuine secondary mutation. Gambit developing precognitive powers was also a thing I forgot about, along with most creators.

That said... what about Wolverine having enhanced senses AND bone claws? Nightcrawler having blue fur, enhanced agility AND teleportation? Have the mutants been rocking secondary mutations since 1975, even though they weren't defined as such?

Amazing Member

Xavier gaining telekinesis is either an extension of his current telepathy or a secondary mutation...but why he has telekinesis at all is not really my cup of tea

Quote Originally Posted by vbeacon View Post
    Xavier gaining telekinesis is either an extension of his current telepathy or a secondary mutation...but why he has telekinesis at all is not really my cup of tea
    He always had TK it just wasn't very strong before his resurrection power-up.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Wasn't Jeans returning TK in NXM referred to as a secondary mutation?

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Wasn't Jeans returning TK in NXM referred to as a secondary mutation?
    It was more like dancing around a story that was never told without actually explaining anything, leaving readers to fill the gaps.

Sometime prior to the "Revolution" arc by Chris Claremont, Psylocke had trapped the Shadow King into her mind, (mostly) sacrificing her telepathic powers to keep him contained. At some point, Phoenix offered to help and ventured into Betsy's mind to fight off Farouk, but the end result was a power swap between the two: Betsy got Jean's telekinesis and Jean added Betsy's telepathy to her own.

Fast-forward some time, Psylocke joined Storm's X-Treme X-Men and was killed by Vargas. Upon her death, her telekinesis went back to Phoenix as per Morrison's New X-Men.

All make sense? Except the Psylocke/Phoenix power swap never happened on the page, it was only hinted at in the comics and then recounted by Claremont via interviews. So it's really up to you whether you consider that canon or not; an alternative explanation is that upon becoming a host for the Phoenix Force, Jean got her telekinetic powers back, which she had lost some time prior for... reasons.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by wlfking View Post
    Wolfsbane was given the ability to turn into a pack of wolves from secondary mutation Santa. I hardly see anyone say they like the ability though.

I believe that time Wolverine had claws that heat up was also a secondary mutation but I'm really not sure.
    Wolfsbane's new powers came from mother vine, IIRC. Like how Toad got a flaming tongue for a bit.

Dunno why it didn't go away when she was resurrected, mind.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Wolfsbane's new powers came from mother vine, IIRC. Like how Toad got a flaming tongue for a bit.

I thought I heard something about it having to do with Mothervine but when I went to look it up, it said Mother-vine was from the ultimate universe so I stopped reading. Had I kept reading I would have seen it did show up in prime earth. Thanks for the correction!
    ~*Earthbound.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post

That said... what about Wolverine having enhanced senses AND bone claws? Nightcrawler having blue fur, enhanced agility AND teleportation? Have the mutants been rocking secondary mutations since 1975, even though they weren't defined as such?
    I've been wondering about that, but have been unsure how to even word it. Why do some mutants get one power while others seem to get a set?
    ~*Earthbound.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

Mothervine was described as inducing secondary mutations.

Quote Originally Posted by wlfking View Post
    I thought I heard something about it having to do with Mothervine but when I went to look it up, it said Mother-vine was from the ultimate universe so I stopped reading. Had I kept reading I would have seen it did show up in prime earth. Thanks for the correction!
    Unfortunately, you're correct. Mothervine was an Ultimate Universe thing but it got carried over into 616 during Cullen Bunn's X-Men Blue. Don't worry about it, it's not worth pondering.