View Poll Results: Is the Wells run the worst run in the history of ASM?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is the worst run

31 36.47%
  • It's one of the worst runs

35 41.18%
  • It's a poor run, but there are far worse runs

11 12.94%
  • It's an average run, more positive than not

4 4.71%
  • It's a good run

4 4.71%
  • It's one of the best runs

0 0%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Is the Zeb Wells run on Amazing Spider-Man the worst run in the history of ASM?

Every run of Amazing Spider-Man is treated as the worst run in the history of Amazing Spider-Man, but is the Wells run actually the worst run in the history of the title? I ask as the situation seems to have hit a crescendo. Is this the bottom of the barrel when it comes to Spider-Man? Or is this just because this is the current run?

didnt we already do this thread?

edit: its basically this

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...d-this-ASM-run
    Last edited by Jman27; 07-04-2023 at 12:50 PM.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

At this point? Yes. 100%.

The Byrne/Mackie run + Sins Past + OMD/OMIT + BND + Avengers 200 = The Zeb Wells ASM Run

So yeah, it's the worst Spider-Man run. By far.

It’s one of the worse. The run (whether you blame JMS or Quesda, I don’t care) featuring OMD and Sins Past take top spot, but this run is not far behind.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Fantastic Member

https://www.reddit.com/r/Spiderman/c...for_zeb_wells/

just leaving this here since it seemed more appropriate than in the editorial thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt14teg View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Spiderman/c...for_zeb_wells/

just leaving this here since it seemed more appropriate than in the editorial thread.
    At the end of the day it's still Wells' name on this comic.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

They dragged Ben Reilly and Mary Jane Watson-Parker through the mud for cheap laughs and then killed Ms. Marvel off for maximum schlock value. Yeah...I would say this ranks as the worst run of all time.

"The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

BANNED

Yes. Next question?

Okay real talk. This run has stressed me out in ways no piece of media ever has. I was bummed out by things like the end of Gurren Lagann and Samurai Jack season 5 but nothing on this level of just feeling awful. I still get upset just thinking about issues 24-26. It's the first ever story to affect my mental health and it's for that alone it's the worst.

This is affecting me seeing other stuff as well. I don't want to see The Marvels or Deadpool 3 knowing Wells involvement. I was pretty excited about Deadpool 3. I like Ni DaCosta's direction so I was hopeful for Marvels. But now I have zero interest. I've never had a comic impact if I'm gonna see a move or not.

I can only speak my honest opinion.

I don't believe anyone at Marvel editorial hates Spider-Man. I don't think anyone is out to make a bad story.

And the run isn't over. A "fall and rise" story is typical in comics, so it's possible that after the "fall" we get a "rise".

But... I'm done until then. In over 35 years of reading Spider-man (which is a lot of ups and downs), this is the longest duration of time I've gone just outright disliking a run. I went from confused to angry to sad to just... apathetic. I don't care.

I don't care about Spider-Man in the comics anymore. One of my favorite heroes, who was there for me as a kid during some very rough times in my life, and I feel nothing now. I'm too tired and miserable to care anymore.

I've picked up other books. I'm having so much fun reading Adam's Flash run, and Taylor's Nightwing, and Mackay's Moon Knight.

But the current run did what I never thought was possible: it completely killed my joy for Spider-Man.

Maybe the book will recover, but someone will have to let me know when that happens. Life's too short and money's too tight to spend it on something that causes me heartache.

Thumbs up

I don't know if I'd rate it as the worst, yet. It is only (supposedly) half over, so there is plenty of rope left for it still to hang itself with to be grim. It is certainly one of the worse runs, without a doubt, IMHO.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-04-2023 at 08:28 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Yes. Yes. Yes.
    Worse than Byrne.
    Worse than Mackie.
    Worse than JMS Sins Past/One More Day.
    Worse than Slott (Vol. 3) and (Vol. 4).

No, and I'm suspicious of people trying to make this argument.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Ohhh great... another thread on the same topic where no one says anything new...

Is this the worst run? I don't know... probably.
    But I'm sick of seeing these boards and reddit and everywhere else just the same People saying the same thing week after week.
    It may be the worst run, but I don't want to log onto these Forums every other day to see a new topic on it.

There's plenty of good Spider-Man books out there. If you aren't enjoying it, the loudest thing you can say is to vote with your wallet.

It's actually not surprising to see how little People know about the production of a comic and just look at things on a surface level.
    No wonder why Marvel doesn't want to look at what you want.

Look, I've been in the mess of dedicating time and effort to something I didn't like very much. It doesn't add anything of value to your life, you just fall further down into a Pit of Spite that's actually pretty easy to get out of, but you still find it hard because you're comfortable there.

Just let ASM go for a while, for your own mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    No, and I'm suspicious of people trying to make this argument.
    The conclusion to the year+ long mystery box was the death of a superhero so disconnected from the events of the story that plenty of people were shocked she was even a part of this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    There's plenty of good Spider-Man books out there. If you aren't enjoying it, the loudest thing you can say is to vote with your wallet.

It's actually not surprising to see how little People know about the production of a comic and just look at things on a surface level.
    No wonder why Marvel doesn't want to look at what you want.

Look, I've been in the mess of dedicating time and effort to something I didn't like very much. It doesn't add anything of value to your life, you just fall further down into a Pit of Spite that's actually pretty easy to get out of, but you still find it hard because you're comfortable there.

Just let ASM go for a while, for your own mental health.
    I agree. Try and let it go.

But many ARE voting with their wallets, but I’ve continued to say Spider-Man is “failure-proof”, and with all the variant covers, Speculator purchases, run completionists, general public Spidey hype from new movies and games, and stunt deaths, the book is still a top-seller. The very worst Spider-Man issue is going to outsell the very best Hawkeye, Moon Knight, and Daredevil issue. The book will sell if it’s good or bad, if it stars Peter or not, so long as “Spider-Man” is on the cover.

It’s just disappointing and frustrating that as recently as last month, Marvel editorial was still telling fans they’re wrong for asking for certain fixes, promising things were going to get worse for the character, pulling “Women in Refrigerators” tropes out in 2023, claiming “we get more positive letters about One More Day than negative ones”, bragging about being warned not to go to cons due to controversy, etc.

They antagonize readers like no other editorial team I see out there. It’s tiresome.