View Poll Results: How would you bring back the marriage?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • They remarry.without finding out.

5 11.90%
  • They remarry and find out.

17 40.48%
  • They wake up and it was all a Nightmare.

6 14.29%
  • Reality was altered.

13 30.95%
  • They are clones.

0 0%
  • They are Skrulls.

1 2.38%
  • Kill them off and bring in new versions.

0 0%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That’s horrible idea. It basically means that nothing matters.
    Nothing matters now. They literally reset everything every single time a new run starts.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Nothing matters now. They literally reset everything every single time a new run starts.
    Exactly. We've basically gotten 16 years of filler material.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    What option is "Peter defeats Mephisto and we learn Peter/MJ weren't acting themselves since OMD due to Mephisto's influence?" It's the best way to restore things without retconning the post-OMD runs the fans that like it. (The only exceptions are OMD, OMIT and the Wells run. Those have to be retconned.)

I do think they can get away with retconning BND/Slott. But I don't think it's entirely fair to pull a reverse-OMD. It's not like most of those stories will have long-term consequences once Peter and MJ are remarried, anyway.

I think the 2000-2007 era is too important to be retconned. This pitch would essentially be saying that the Peter of the JMS era who fought Morlun and became a teacher, who had "The Conversation" with Aunt May, who went through all the Paul Jenkins stories and Marvel Knights Spider-Man, who unmasked and turned against Tony in Civil War, and who went through To Have and To Hold wasn't the "real" Peter.

That would be like when the Clone Saga tried to argue that the Peter of the 1980's (who fought Venom, seduced Black Cat, went through Secret Wars, Kraven's Last Hunt, etc.) wasn't the real one either.
    The post-OMD Peter Parker has been in some good stories as well. He went through the Gauntlet, swapped bodies with Dr Octopus, tried to save everybody, encountered Miles Morales in a world where he was a martyr and got Gog as a pet.

The post-OMD Spider-Man comics are well-represented in Best Of lists.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I think the cleanest way possible is to reveal that Mephisto’s lingering influence has made Peter and MJ unconsciously make decisions that so far have prevented them from being together permanently.
    The traumatic events of the current run would end up making them realise their true desires and they would choose to marry again. The moment Peter or MJ proposes, May would suddenly feel very ill. While they’d try to save May and figure out what happened, their memories of the marriage and the deal would slowly start coming back to them.
    Confronting Mephisto one last time, Peter would learn that he had already been under his influence when he decided to make the deal and that May’s original injury had been orchestrated by Mephisto. The reveal of the ruse behind the deal would end up negating its power. Mephisto would then be defeated (never to be used in Spider-Man stories again), all memories of the marriage would be fully restored, May would recover and Peter and MJ would finally renew their vows and celebrate their union.

I think this would be the best way in order to not fully negate big portions of Spider-Man history while also fixing the terrible decisions behind OMD.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The post-OMD Peter Parker has been in some good stories as well. He went through the Gauntlet, swapped bodies with Dr Octopus, tried to save everybody, encountered Miles Morales in a world where he was a martyr and got Gog as a pet.

The post-OMD Spider-Man comics are well-represented in Best Of lists.
    Post-OMD is nowhere near as embraced or well-received as the 1980-1993 era or the 2000-2007 era. Not even the stories you mentioned.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 07-06-2023 at 07:24 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    Exactly. We've basically gotten 16 years of filler material.
    In order to have filler, you need to have an end goal. Spider-Man never had one so nothing in his books can be considered filler.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    In order to have filler, you need to have an end goal. Spider-Man never had one so nothing in his books can be considered filler.
    Then maybe a better way to express is that this feels like an extended What If? Or the DC New 52. Finally over in DC the stories and characters are getting back to where they were Pre-Flashpoint and the entire universe is taking a step forward without throwing stuff in the trash.

It would be nice for Spidey to get back to that Pre-OMD status quo and start moving again. Even at a snails pace, just the storytelling real estate freed up from not having to fuck around with the will they/won't they nonsense will allow for something fresh
    Last edited by Coop; 07-06-2023 at 10:24 AM.

BANNED

Fuck it, lets kill of Peter and MJ. Then revive them with their mermories uptil OMD and make them younger as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    Fuck it, lets kill of Peter and MJ. Then revive them with their mermories uptil OMD and make them younger as a result.
    Well, we gotta replace them with Ultimate Peter and Mary Jane first, kill off the current versions and then bring back the Pre-OMD Peter and Mary Jane (w/Mayday and the true Ben Reilly in tow) for a mega crossover where they take their rightful place on Earth-616. New 52 style.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

Astonishing Member

I’m ok with step 1. Not convinced about step 2 onwards.

Still catching up with The Flash…

But how Wally West got his marriage restored to continuity and the journey he went through to make it happen is basically proof Marvel could do the same.

Seriously, it’s so frustrating watching another hero make it look so good and conclude with the characters and readers happy while Spider-Man flounders.

BANNED

I think it's interesting how, no matter how hard Marvel keeps trying to kill interest in the relationship we are still talking about how and when they'll get married again. It's never really left for most fans, so many are just waiting for it to come back at this point.

Before this current run, I was honestly all good having long given up on Peter x MJ getting married. But this run has reawakened my love for their marriage and the need for it to return. It's only emboldened my support.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    I think it's interesting how, no matter how hard Marvel keeps trying to kill interest in the relationship we are still talking about how and when they'll get married again. It's never really left for most fans, so many are just waiting for it to come back at this point.

Before this current run, I was honestly all good having long given up on Peter x MJ getting married. But this run has reawakened my love for their marriage and the need for it to return. It's only emboldened my support.
    I have been reading ASM# 300's for the first time and man the marriage is great. It was great in Last Hunt which IS most likely the best Spider-Man story ever written.

I have been reading ASM# 300's for the first time and man the marriage is great. It was great in Last Hunt which IS most likely the best Spider-Man story ever written.
    Have you checked out Lost Hunt? It’s recent, but it goes with a marriage-continuity flashback story.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Have you checked out Lost Hunt? It’s recent, but it goes with a marriage-continuity flashback story.
    Lost Hunt is peak marriage era Peter/MJ: