Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Default Re:action #775

The question was if Superman is better off in the morally grey and black areas as a means of change in the never ending battle. So he creates an elaborate play to show people that it's not really what they want from him and in general it isn't a benevolent, idealistic approach. His condition for failure, in the story and in our world, would be if viewers came away with regret that he didn't actually kill or dismember them. As for obliging the duel, well, Superman historically has a thing with duels and it was a teaching moment that he didn't have to contrive.

Really one of only five stories, no matter how long, is gonna be a very bare minimum look at a specific facet or two. Getting a good point across also won't necessarily align with favorites imo. For examples I think Action Comics #775 should have to BOGO with Superman #247 to round out the interpretation of an answer to a particular kind of question. And I love some of the golden age but I'm not gonna hand a comic from the time of Japanese internment to a guy who just turned 30 yesterday. Finally, I sincerely don't like Up in the Sky but I can admit it's an attractive cliff note for pretty much anyone today.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    The original S&S stories. Nothing better than the foundation of the character. Sadly, I don't think they're going that route.

The Case of Earth's Super-Idiot.

When I was reading the Newspaper Strip, one story that had stood out to me was Earth's Super-Idiot. More specifically, the first few pages. Clark had to deal with a volcano in Hawaii, then a tsunami, Earthquake. We later see Superman showing off his strength and powers to some strange alien visitors. In those few pages, it was packed with action, humor, and pure fun that could've only been delivered through a Jerry Siegel script with art by Curt Swan.

Carey Bates, nothing specific. He impressed me with his stories. I think what he did with Superman is a good middle grown for the character.
    I can't even pick one Bates story myself because I just love his work. Maybe that Elseworlds from like 2010 or so because it's self contained and doesn't enforce on treaded grounds.

And if I had a million dollars, I'd throw a chunk at DC to reprint the newspaper version of Super Idiot with remastered art, because it's too much fun. One of my gold standard stories.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    . And I love some of the golden age but I'm not gonna hand a comic from the time of Japanese internment to a guy who just turned 30 yesterday.
    I think goldenage is far entertaining than most stuff with superman.It's not about the age.It's about if it can pull you in or not.i do believe max fliescher cartoons>>>my adventures with superman for instance with it quick paced storytelling and action,animation,even artstyle..etc.i mean,90s and 80s isn't exactly "current". People still watch charlie chaplin or hear micheal jackson or read Tolstoy or something...sooo,if the guy likes it fine.if he doesn't that's fine too.but i can certainly suggest something from 1500 ot when the buddha was born
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-09-2023 at 10:04 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Anyone can enjoy anything and they're also free to not enjoy what one would hope they do enjoy. But, I was talking about likelihood. Chances are someone who would enjoy that stuff wouldn't just be introduced to it by me right now, and it's a pretty safe bet to say that because much of that material doesn't seemed pored over even by those who generally dig it.

I'm glad you strongly prefer that sort of stuff over pretty much anything else, but I wouldn't assume that's the common disposition and would only feed into it with the hint that someone was interested.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think my favorite Carey Bates might be Superman 249, the Terra Man origin, and I would like James Gunns version of that on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    A lot, far as I'm concerned. And this isn't the thread for it and plenty of folks like the issue so I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade or change minds, this is just my opinion, but just real quick and only hitting the biggest issues with a broad stroke?

Clark never wins a debate against Black. Not once. He can't defend his own stance and all the evidence Black brings to the argument, Clark ignores. He has no answer or rebuttal, ever.

Clark's greatest problem with the Elite is them killing villains. Not the tons of innocent civilians who die in their wild attacks or the property that's destroyed. That bothers him yes, but it's killing the bad guys that Clark takes the greatest issue with.

When Clark fails to win any of the debates or prove his argument, he allows himself to be prodded into a fight (the very situation he's warned against the whole story) and just beats up the Elite and then stands around preening, as if he'd won some great moral victory. Then he goes on to pontificate about immaterial nothings like 'hope' as if that in and of itself is the solution.

Basically, the entire issue argues, from Black's perspective, that radicalized murderers are a threat to society and Clark's response is "Yeah but thoughts and prayers!"
    Strange cause that issue might come in handy if the Authority is going to be part of this movie.

Also you guys think David will read comics like Cavill did to get ready?

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

The question was if Superman is better off in the morally grey and black areas as a means of change in the never ending battle. So he creates an elaborate play to show people that it's not really what they want from him and in general it isn't a benevolent, idealistic approach. His condition for failure, in the story and in our world, would be if viewers came away with regret that he didn't actually kill or dismember them. As for obliging the duel, well, Superman historically has a thing with duels and it was a teaching moment that he didn't have to contrive.

Really one of only five stories, no matter how long, is gonna be a very bare minimum look at a specific facet or two. Getting a good point across also won't necessarily align with favorites imo. For examples I think Action Comics #775 should have to BOGO with Superman #247 to round out the interpretation of an answer to a particular kind of question. And I love some of the golden age but I'm not gonna hand a comic from the time of Japanese internment to a guy who just turned 30 yesterday. Finally, I sincerely don't like Up in the Sky but I can admit it's an attractive cliff note for pretty much anyone today.

I can't even pick one Bates story myself because I just love his work. Maybe that Elseworlds from like 2010 or so because it's self contained and doesn't enforce on treaded grounds.

And if I had a million dollars, I'd throw a chunk at DC to reprint the newspaper version of Super Idiot with remastered art, because it's too much fun. One of my gold standard stories.
    Cuddles! I loved those panels seeing Superman wrestle his pet dinosaur because he was wanted to calm his nerves. I forgot what issue I started with, but I just kept on reading Bates's stories. I really enjoyed Krypton Dies Again!

Fooor suuuure. Krypton Dies Again was a neat, longer story with Brainiac so I like it, and Marv's #514 a bit later also had my second favorite DC hero. But just before that was what I think is a pretty memorable Luthor arc and a short while before that was the Return of Jon Kent. I think RoJK was the only Action story from the era to actually get reprinted for what that's worth.

Speaking of Luthor and Brainiac however... their team up from around then is also one of my very favorite comics ever: DC Special Series #5, the Second Coming of Superman. If there are some 10/10 stories that have come up recently in threads for me, they are Earth's Super Idiot, the Second Coming of Superman, Adventures of Superman Annual 2, and Secret Origin #1 from 1986

My favorite thing about Super Idiot is Raj Boz. What a butthole! The idea that Superman's foes and aliens in general are huge jerks is really an idea that I think about endlessly. This story is also a beautiful example of how effectively Siegel and Swan, the most Superman duo possible, managed to take the comic ideas and run with them perfectly in the other format.

The question was if Superman is better off in the morally grey and black areas as a means of change in the never ending battle.
    I know what the issue is trying to say. I just think it does a terrible job of it. We all have those stories we dislike that are popular with other people. This is mine. /shrug.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.