Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Someone pointed out that Marvel has absolutely not had Mary Jane involved in any of the compelling, real-world actress drama that we were experiencing with the #MeToo movement, the Weinstein abuse controversies, the blacklisting drama, sexist trolls and targeted harassment campaigns, the gender wage-gap strikes, or countless other very timely, relevant, and meaningful things women were experiencing in the entertainment industry.

It's an incredibly obvious missed opportunity to have Mary Jane be apart of these kind of events, speaking out, being an advocate, and fighting back against an industry that was exposed as incredibly hostile and toxic to women.

It's RIGHT THERE. That's HER career of choice. They barely touched upon it.
    An extremely valid point, especially given older comics occasionally had her engaged in activism as well.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

So embarrassing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    That's what this run was supposed to be, lol. They even brought back a BND writer.
    They split Peter and MJ up with more magic. Pulled another OMIT by explaining the circumstances after the fact. And made the big villains of year one Rabin and Wayep and tied that to a new version of Jackpot.

While another back to basics run would be great (pretty much early Spencer before he went knee deep into the Kindred subplot) the last thing we need is more BND lol
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 07-06-2023 at 03:32 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Someone pointed out that Marvel has absolutely not had Mary Jane involved in any of the compelling, real-world actress drama that we were experiencing with the #MeToo movement, the Weinstein abuse controversies, the blacklisting drama, sexist trolls and targeted harassment campaigns, the gender wage-gap strikes, or countless other very timely, relevant, and meaningful things women were experiencing in the entertainment industry.

It's an incredibly obvious missed opportunity to have Mary Jane be apart of these kind of events, speaking out, being an advocate, and fighting back against an industry that was exposed as incredibly hostile and toxic to women.

It's RIGHT THERE. That's HER career of choice. They barely touched upon it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    An extremely valid point, especially given older comics occasionally had her engaged in activism as well.
    And does anyone see MJ putting up with some creeper producer trying to get something out of her?
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yep.

I miss this. This was the kind of stuff that proved Mary Jane could be a hero and advocate in her own way without a costume or superpowers, in a way that you and I can be.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    And does anyone see MJ putting up with some creeper producer trying to get something out of her?
    Hells, no. Also, Jonathon Caesar, as a rich bastard who felt himself entitled to whomever and whatever he wanted, stalking and harassing MJ, then going out of his way to ruin her career prospects when she got him sent to prison for kidnapping her . . . well, aside from the outright kidnapping, that is unfortunately extremely true to life.

Yep.

I miss this. This was the kind of stuff that proved Mary Jane could be a hero and advocate in her own way without a costume or superpowers, in a way that you and I can be.
    Oh, yes. Yes, indeed.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I hate saying this because I see MJ as a very competent and capable woman but at this point I'd love to see her just crash and burn as a Superhero because of how dumb her motivations are going to seem and how inconsistent her powers are.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hate saying this because I see MJ as a very competent and capable woman but at this point I'd love to see her just crash and burn as a Superhero because of how dumb her motivations are going to seem and how inconsistent her powers are.
    True but this is just a temporary thing but big thing is who is writing it and can they actually do the character justice

They could always do another Spider-MJ thanks to Spider-Verse if they wanted to play around with the concept. I still think that would be a fun AU. The fact that we've never had a dedicated Spider-MJ universe where she was the uncontested protagonist (as opposed to a supporting character or shared the protagonist spotlight with her family) is weird to me.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel bad for the creative team though. What an awful motivation to have dumped in your lap

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    It's a huge problem. Like MJ should be mad she wasted the last five years of her life, sure. But they were never real people. So any grief over losing them past a certain point is ....forced? I dunno it doesn't feel significant enough.
    That's not how grief works. This isn't something someone would get over quickly or easily.

They could always do another Spider-MJ thanks to Spider-Verse if they wanted to play around with the concept. I still think that would be a fun AU. The fact that we've never had a dedicated Spider-MJ universe where she was the uncontested protagonist (as opposed to a supporting character or shared the protagonist spotlight with her family) is weird to me.
    I will say in the interest of fairness that randomized luck powers is a little more unique than just making her another woman with spider-powers.

An Elseworld where it's just her with the powers would be interesting, though I can at least understand why they're leaning into a different gimmick for 616.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    That's not how grief works. This isn't something someone would get over quickly or easily.
    I think the problem is just the execution or premise of that grief.

Honestly having Aunt Anna get killed off by a Supervillain or something would probably be more believable than making this about the Rabin kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    I feel bad for the creative team though. What an awful motivation to have dumped in your lap
    It’s not great.

I always keep an open mind though. Wally West was at his absolute lowest during “Heroes in Crisis”, but they were able to write him out of it and build him back up.

I HOPE they can do that with MJ. She deserves a redemption run.

The interview and promotion with the writer is going to be very important for this book.

Mighty Member

Perhaps they've avoided this in previous Spider-verse events because they feel it would encroach too much on Ghost Spider and Spinneret territory.

I think MJ as a hero could be a fun au spin-off if they leaned into the camp: Working model/actress by day and Spider-woman (or Jackpot) by night.

What they're doing with this version of Jackpot does not seem to be that type of book though. They're already starting with a really heavy premise with two children dead.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 07-06-2023 at 04:12 PM.