Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    While I understood Jefferson's thinking at the time (since GA wanted him as some type of token for the JL), it still annoyed me that DC didn't bring him in.
    Writer Gerry Conway was getting ready to bring in his own creation (Firestorm) to the League. Plus, Black Lightning's refusal to leave the regular people who needed help to go off and fight the nasty villains was planting the seeds for Green Arrow's departure a few months later.

But can you imagine how powerful the League would've been with both Black Lightning and Firestorm on the team?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Writer Gerry Conway was getting ready to bring in his own creation (Firestorm) to the League. Plus, Black Lightning's refusal to leave the regular people who needed help to go off and fight the nasty villains was planting the seeds for Green Arrow's departure a few months later.

But can you imagine how powerful the League would've been with both Black Lightning and Firestorm on the team?
    Powerful and that much more entertaining to read, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member

Well we got that pairing in 2007. It was just a different Firestorm with BL. Too bad fans were more concerned with the skin color of 4 of the members than the actual story.

Heck Batman said Firestorm was too powerful to be left alone.

Amazing Member

Identity Crisis was such an absolute piece of ****.

It failed as an action comic, it failed as a mystery, it failed as a drama, it just failed.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well we got that pairing in 2007. It was just a different Firestorm with BL. Too bad fans were more concerned with the skin color of 4 of the members than the actual story.

Heck Batman said Firestorm was too powerful to be left alone.
    That entire run was the best example of editorial preventing what could’ve gone down as a truly iconic run if only they’d get out the writers way.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    That entire run was the best example of editorial preventing what could’ve gone down as a truly iconic run if only they’d get out the writers way.
    McDuffie was unhappy.

Had that book planned out to issue 50.

The roster was not his choice.

Stuff got cut out especially a certain question Brown Bomber asked Vixen.

And despite fans and editorial that run still sold.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PUGSSSS001 View Post
    Identity Crisis was such an absolute piece of ****.

It failed as an action comic, it failed as a mystery, it failed as a drama, it just failed.
    I remember being so excited about Identity Crisis - a mystery from the Satellite Era of the Justice League. I couldn't wait.

And then this HUGE pile of manure came falling out of the sky and landed on everyone. It was pathetic.

Extraordinary Member

At least Black Lightning wouldn't imo really bring any noticeable power to a team with Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and the Falsh. At least not with the powers he had back than (not sure if had how they powered him up later).

Fantastic Member

I do wonder if Tony Isabella has suggested BL for the JLA and got turned down and that's why he wrote that comic or if he just wanted to do a "BL is too good for the JLA" story. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    I do wonder if Tony Isabella has suggested BL for the JLA and got turned down and that's why he wrote that comic or if he just wanted to do a "BL is too good for the JLA" story. Anyone know?
    Well, while I don't know the answer to your question, one thing to think about is that Black Lightning was a street-level hero, and it's hard to be street-level when you're hanging out in a satellite or taking on menaces away from your neighborhood.

Also, don't know how easy it would have been to balance his daytime teaching job with membership in the Justice League.

Extraordinary Member

What about "Eclipso, the Darkness Within".

Was that a successful event? I didn't read it because I was never a fan of Eclipso. But they sure advertised it to death.