Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ilargi View Post
    I hope we all get amnesia
    XD XD I’m just here to see whatever Ilargi has to say. living for this burning hatred rn. hahahaaaa.

I like Gambit and Rouge stories when they are togather. But, I don't have a problem reading comics when the two of them are having relationship problems or are taking a break from each other. A marriage between two fictional characters that is always perfect with no trouble between them would be boring to read.

The problem that I have with this story is the hoops it has to jump through to make the relationship drama work. Gambit has to be written like a dumb drunk. Gambit has to endanger the life of an innocent barkeeper to cover for his escape the way that a low grade villain would. Gambit has to be made to look stupid by setting of small marble sized bombs. Forge was the idiot who left the little mini bombs laying around, but it the blame has to be put on Gambit.

All of this has to be done to give Rogue an in story reason to take the side of Mystique and Destiny, two of the least trustworthy villains that the X-Men have, instead of siding with Gambit. And Rogue still looks stupid for doing it.

The revelations about Manifold that happened in another comic don't change my mind about all of the stupidity that has happened in this comic so far.

The last issue is going to really have to do something great to make me think that it wasn't an incompetently executed story.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I like Gambit and Rouge stories when they are togather. But, I don't have a problem reading comics when the two of them are having relationship problems or are taking a break from each other. A marriage between two fictional characters that is always perfect with no trouble between them would be boring to read.

The problem that I have with this story is the hoops it has to jump through to make the relationship drama work. Gambit has to be written like a dumb drunk. Gambit has to endanger the life of an innocent barkeeper to cover for his escape the way that a low grade villain would. Gambit has to be made to look stupid by setting of small marble sized bombs. Forge was the idiot who left the little mini bombs laying around, but it the blame has to be put on Gambit.

All of this has to be done to give Rogue an in story reason to take the side of Mystique and Destiny, two of the least trustworthy villains that the X-Men have, instead of siding with Gambit. And Rogue still looks stupid for doing it.

The revelations about Manifold that happened in another comic don't change my mind about all of the stupidity that has happened in this comic so far.

The last issue is going to really have to do something great to make me think that it wasn't an incompetently executed story.
    Gambit's behavior while unpalatable has been excusable, because he is dealing either with PTSD from dying or possibly something else bugging him as a result of his unusual death and revival. Remember he died because of the Death tarot card and he was revived through the Siege Perilous. I have a whole conspiracy theory about what's really going on with Gambit, and that they don't necessary break up but decide it's in everybody's best interests that Gambit doesn't come back to Krakoa until they figure out what's going on with him. But that's based on the idea that the writers actually having a long term plan for Gambit which I don't feel like has been the case for a while now. Rogue though has been coming off awful and hopefully she can redeem herself by the end and doesn't make any horrible decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    The problem that I have with this story is the hoops it has to jump through to make the relationship drama work. Gambit has to be written like a dumb drunk. Gambit has to endanger the life of an innocent barkeeper to cover for his escape the way that a low grade villain would. Gambit has to be made to look stupid by setting off small marble sized bombs. Forge was the idiot who left the little mini bombs laying around, but it the blame has to be put on Gambit.

Yep.

Wild, how that could have been accomplished in a more organic manner for all of these characters, just by letting Rogue interact with (or be acknowledged by) either of her mothers before this mini for more than two pages during current editorial’s 5+ years of tenure.

But, hey, why waste any opportunities to sideline these two while using them to fill space in event posters or sell variant covers for other characters’ books (when they’re not gleefully dumping on Gambit, both in comics and during fan panels) - not because they’re spending time on the hundreds of other neglected characters who’ve been resurrected or put in a better spot for storytelling purposes for the first time in decades… but still spotlighting (and/or making over) the same handful of characters who’ve been shoved front and center all era?

The sidelining is one thing. (And groupthink on whose stories (or fans) “matter” is bound to happen, especially in an office as homogenous as that one, fucking yikes.) It’s also the sheer pettiness, in both lack of initial promo for this series (don’t forget, they didn’t post previews until after the #1 cut-off ended, unlike X23 and Captain Britain, which were promoted early) and the characterization itself, that make me take pause. I would love to know the impetus for it.

Petulance due to being forced to commission this mini by Marvel execs? Trying to stick it to former X-writers that editorial has personal beef with who are huge fans of these two? Scoring cool points with the “Great Feats Beautiful Feats!!” crowd (who aren’t even buying books and only pirating scans of their ~kweens to repost on Twitter and Tumblr in the first place) in hopes of one day securing that youth vote?

Simple laziness, lack of thought, or care?

(I’m betting on a mix of all of the above, with a large helping of the latter.)

Kelly Thompson did it better.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    XD XD I’m just here to see whatever Ilargi has to say. living for this burning hatred rn. hahahaaaa.
    I am about to become Dark Phoenix.

The hair on both characters look much better on that first page.

Quote Originally Posted by Sisterhood Of Mutants View Post
    Beautiful art, at least, even if this whole thing still ends as an editorially mandated split.

(The contents of that first page tell me that maybe SP finally read KT’s run after all the reviews unfavorably comparing the quality of this current series to that one. It’s giving watered down retread of MMX. Someone there is reading reviews, at least, because they finally fixed the whole “mon cherie” debacle lmao.)
    Girl, you and me must be sharing a brain right now because this was my same reaction.

I'm just ready for this series to be over. What a disappointment.

i rarely say this but this was a true hot mess. I never even opened issue 4.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

From issue 1 I have felt that issue 5 will be the best one. Let’s hope it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    From issue 1 I have felt that issue 5 will be the best one. Let’s hope it is.
    If nothing else it will have finally arrived at its point and we can start dealing with the fallout of whatever that is. I feel more apprehension than anticipation though and is that actually what you want from readers?

Sincerely dissapointed that it hasn't been a pleasant journey as that's generally the point of something you read for pleasure, especially when it's an action/romance genre you are trying to sell.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I think Powerbroker works for Orchis as well. As Orchis wants to take out all yeleporters, especially Manifold. Last issue Vanisher was killed and Manifold is under influance of Powerbroker already.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

I don't believe that issue #5 will end with something as drastic as a break-up. If the x-office ever splits Rogue and Gambit, it will probably be in a more popular book where they can keep the two on the same team and really milk it for drama and attention. This mini will end just as insignificantly as it began.
    Last edited by Dipter; 07-10-2023 at 06:50 PM.