Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I'm also content with regular DVDs or BluRays. I don't know the difference between 4K or any of that ****, and I've no use for 3D.
    I'm big on physical media and this is my view. Blurays I once thought were just a scam to get me to buy everything all over again on Blu, but Blus are strong products and the some picture quality improvement and sound quality is very legit. The old 60s UK show The Prisoner is marketedly improved on Blu vs DVD, for one example. So I buy some blus for some things.

That being said, I'm definitely not doing the 4K for now, and still do see that as racketeering, as: just a scam to get me to buy everything all over again. As I always tell some people, I don't need to see the pimples on everyone's face in high def. Bluray is fine enough for me.

I'm not some technology nerd like some in the physical media world (in fact, I'm a bit of a Luddite), not that that there's anything wrong with being a tech nerd, but I personally am not too hung up on that focus, instead I know just enough about certain specs to know what to buy/appreciate and what not to buy/appreciate.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-10-2023 at 10:32 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

The ONLY Physical Blu/4K that I want is Dogma...I have the DVD but don't ever expect to get the Blu/4K version...Not that it makes it better, but just want it...I tend to do only Digital now but have a few discs I get if they are cheaper and come with Digital...

All-New Member

I only upgrade movies that deserve upgrading or previously had terrible transfers. The problem with dvds though, especially the older ones they suffer from disc rot which was either caused by poor manufacturing of the discs or keeping them in an uncontrolled environment. They also made a lot of dvds that are Non anamorphic widescreen or not enhanced for widescreen tvs. Those dvds need to be thrown in the trash. If it doesn't show anamorphic widescreen or enhanced for 16:9 then it's time to upgrade for sure.

As for 4k discs, they are less compressed, and give more detail that was lost previously on other formats and gives you the look of what it was originally intended. It only mostly benefits movies that were made on 35mm film rather digital, more room to work with as they scan these films. You do got to be careful cause some of these studios like to enhance them by removing film grain and make it all shiny and those transfers are rubbish. Read reviews before purchasing.
    Two example of some great 4k experiences are 2001, and apocalypse Now look absolutely stunning, The Shinning looks phenomenal as well in 4k. These are great viewing experiences. There are so many more great transfers but I have a rule that they must include the bluray as well and if I have the bluray already then it has to be a movie I really love, otherwise I will think twice on purchasing or I'll wait till its really cheap.
    I don't blame you though for not wanting to get 4ks right now, I don't have many myself. You do have to invest in all new equipment and with the discs being so sensitive it may not be worth it to many which is why 4ks aren't doing nearly as good as previous formats right now. But I do advise you to go back and look at all your dvds, see if they are enhanced or Anamorphic and check for the disc rot cause I found a couple dozen of mine that suffered, but in my case I think it's from poor manufacturing. I use to be against blurays as well but they are totally worth the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    The ONLY Physical Blu/4K that I want is Dogma...I have the DVD but don't ever expect to get the Blu/4K version...Not that it makes it better, but just want it...I tend to do only Digital now but have a few discs I get if they are cheaper and come with Digital...
    Anyone else old enough to remember when “Digital” meant CDs? Guess it’s just a marketing term for whatever we’re being sold today haha

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyfan1984 View Post
    If it doesn't show anamorphic widescreen or enhanced for 16:9 then it's time to upgrade for sure. . .
    But I do advise you to go back and look at all your dvds, see if they are enhanced or Anamorphic and check for the disc rot cause I found a couple dozen of mine that suffered, but in my case I think it's from poor manufacturing. I use to be against blurays as well but they are totally worth the upgrade.
    I agree. Disc rot can happen (though not sure it has ever happened to me yet, but overall, scratches and other defects affect DVDs more than Blus, DVDs are far more vulnerable).
    And anamorphic widescreen (or enhanced for 16x9 televisions) is a big deal, so you definitely want to have that if you love a film. God forbid you have any pan-and-scan versions (letterboxing isn't so hot either). Blurays absolutely have my stamp of approval, and I too was once strongly against them.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-11-2023 at 12:25 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I'm a big physical media guy. I remember as a kid when certain MST3K episodes would disappear from circulation and finding out that was because the rights to that movie had expired. From that moment on I recorded every episode! I learned that stuff can go away.

Anyway, my collection has focused on the things I really love; kaiju movies (plus general tokusatsu), horror films (emphasis on classic Universal and Hammer), favorite directors, general classic Hollywood stuff, every MST3K DVD that's ever been released, Criterion and Arrow Video are my favorite labels.

Let me tell ya; the thing I've been really getting into these past two years is classic Hong Kong martial arts flicks. I've always been interested in the genre, but spotty availability and my lack of knowledge about the genre's history hampered me. Well, starting a few years ago a licensing bonanza began and all the cool boutique labels have started releasing tons of classic HK action flicks loaded with special features to fill in the gaps of my knowledge. It seems like there's a big release every month, often a box set! As a result, I've got a pile of 'em unwatched on my shelf staring at me. Better put my tablet away and watch one...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Also, dvds are not "forever". I found that out the hard way when my early years (flipper case) beetlejuice, goonies and gremlins 2 died of disk rot with not a single scratch on them!
    Nothing lasts forever. It is my understanding that a primary reason for disc rot is bad manufacturing and odds are that if you're careful with the discs they should last a good long while. Even so, they will eventually wear out (or the players will be discontinued, etc.). The only way a movie or show will stay around is if the IP rights holders keep making new copies. Still, within reason, with a disc, you own that copy and it will still work even if the material is discontinued or in the vault, or whatever.

Also, kids dvds are a nightmare to buy at thrifts stores as many times they are scratched up like hockey pucks and don't work!
    I sometimes get used DVD and BluRays from those kinds of stores. I've personally had more problems with discs missing than ones being scratched up. That said, the way I see it is that, since they're usually only a few bucks, I just take it as a given that I'm making a low-stakes gamble that it will be a good copy.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    That being said, I'm definitely not doing the 4K for now, and still do see that as racketeering, as: just a scam to get me to buy everything all over again. As I always tell some people, I don't need to see the pimples on everyone's face in high def. Bluray is fine enough for me.
    Think there are some YouTube channels where people will analyze 4K releases and offer an opinion on if it's worth the upgrade (recall that classic animated Disney movies were consistently noted to look about the same in 4k and normal BluRay). I don't have a 4K player, although I have gotten a few 4K/BluRay sets, usually due to them being on sale or clearance, a special edition, or something, since I can use the BluRay now. Guess I assumed that I'd upgrade to 4K when I next get a new TV and player (they might even be cheaper then too) and there is something to looking ahead when buying. I think there are a few movies (and shows) that I like enough that I'd upgrade without question when needed (or media takes another leap forward), but, as long as players are backwards compatible with DVDs and regular BluRays, I don't see it as an urgent need.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

All-New Member

I think 4k is just misunderstood, lack of knowledge of the technical side of things. Again I don't blame anyone for not buying them, the technology isn't user friendly and the discs are super sensitive (more than dvds). One scratch or fingerprint could affect playback due to the amount of data that is on the disc. I only go after the ones that I truly love and would be a more accurate presentation of that film. Blurays are really an amazing upgrade though from dvds, but they're some really bad transfers out there with the overuse of DNR or the the color grading is off and other things and those I upgrade to 4k if they are done right of course which not all are, but I'll keep the bluray anyway just to have the extra copy of the film. But those issues may not bother some people but they do kind of get me annoyed if films are done half assed when you're paying the money for these at least in my opinion anyway.

The biggest upside of 4K discs compared to regular blu-rays isn't the higher resolution but the high dynamic range and color depth. Thereby 4K blu-rays have much better contrasts and color grading. The better and bigger one's TV display is the more one will notice the difference.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I always seem to miss Best Buy steelbox exclusives...I'm gonna make it a point to get the Halloween Ends steelbox even if I have to travel out of town.

But yeah, blu-ray if I can, DVD if I must. I try not to double dip ie I know someone who buys every version of the Phantasm movies he can, but...I might if a decent version of Ridley Scott's Legend pops up on blu-ray (I have the two disc DVD version).

Arrow Video did a 2-disc blu-ray restoration of Legend last year. They say it's likely the best version of the film you can get, since they're unable to do a 4K release due to a few complications.....It has both the US & European versions of the movie. There was a limited box set, too, but that one runs for around $60. The basic version is around $24.

Legend.jpg

Blu-ray and 4k does look better to me as well. As for removing your stuff i have over 600 movies on vudu thanks to dvd digital copies and $2 disk to digital program and have not had a single movie removed in years i have been using them. Still have true lies, the abyss and the original english dub of case closed on there. Still have superman and the mole man on vudu.

Also, dvds are not "forever". I found that out the hard way when my early years (flipper case) beetlejuice, goonies and gremlins 2 died of disk rot with not a single scratch on them! Also, kids dvds are a nightmare to buy at thrifts stores as many times they are scratched up like hockey pucks and don't work!

On the plus side blu-rays like spirited away look great on blu-ray but my family does not care and is fine with dvd or digital picture. I'm the only one in my family who still collects dvd or blu-ray or 4k. My sister used to but went all digital copies this year and sold most of hers at a yard sale!

I've never had disc rot occur, and some of my DVDs go back 25 years.....Were the DVDs you had that happen to used-purchases, or did you buy them brand new? I don't even think I've had that happen with my CD collection, but I haven't looked at my CDs in a long time. They're away in storage.....Do you think anything in particular caused this (how you store them, perhaps?), or does it seem random? And have you had this happen with blu-rays or 4Ks? I doubt it has happened with 4Ks since it's a newer format, so there has been less time for them to possibly degrade.

I only buy movies brand new, I resort to buying used if they're out of print and hard to get.....And I will say I never used binders nor any of that. I always keep my films in their original cases. I've always kept them that way, but I have heard stories over the years of people's DVDs becoming corrupted due to keeping them in binders. Something to do with the surface area of the readable portion of the DVDs being rubbed against when sliding them out of the binder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Arrow Video did a 2-disc blu-ray restoration of Legend last year. They say it's likely the best version of the film you can get, since they're unable to do a 4K release due to a few complications.....It has both the US & European versions of the movie. There was a limited box set, too, but that one runs for around $60. The basic version is around $24.

Legend.jpg
    Yeah Arrow keeps the regular version in stock, but...that limited edition though...

Ebay to the rescue I guess.

I was kinda shocked to learn, as I got older, I wasn't alone in my love of this movie.

've never had disc rot occur, and some of my DVDs go back 25 years.....Were the DVDs you had that happen to used-purchases, or did you buy them brand new?
    New. However, they were in the dreaded snapper cases and were "first year" releases! My wizard of oz was also. They were pretty much right at the start of dvds. Didn't even have a dvd player yet but planned to and got them.

They stopped working and no not a scratch on them and were well taken care of. They were they only ones i got that did that however.

New. However, they were in the dreaded snapper cases and were "first year" releases! My wizard of oz was also. They were pretty much right at the start of dvds. Didn't even have a dvd player yet but planned to and got them.

They stopped working and no not a scratch on them and were well taken care of. They were they only ones i got that did that however.
    Maybe it was just bad manufacturing? I've gathered that bad temperatures (like keeping them in a car year round) is the main reason discs go bad if they're made right.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Honestly didn't know disc rot was a thing for anything other than CD-Rs. Are people displaying them in a bookshelf that has direct sunlight (facing a window)?