Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post MCU and the Synergy Impact in the Comics

Ever since the influence of the MCU aside original characters from the MCU make their debut in comic mainstream (Phil Coulson, Daisy Lewis etc). Many changes have make to fit the MCU styles. And here are most of the changes so far that happen in the comics once the MCU adapts.

DC Memes-02-01-01.jpg

While some haven't changed despite being different from the MCU.

Hank and Janet are old in the present MCU timeline
    compare to comics Janet is still the same.
    Aunt May being younger in the MCU does not affect much for the comic version.

Your thoughts on whether the MCU synergy is neither good nor bad and what would happen for the upcoming changes make by the MCU and whether it would change or remain the same.
    Last edited by LAWtoyoto 432; 07-10-2023 at 01:48 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I get the need for the changes in the MCU as the actors and actresses actually age, move on or pass away...but 616 and MCU should be their own things.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Well... Agatha is a powerful witch.
    She could make herself young, or she could've been transformed into an old lady by a spell misfire or an enemy.
    I'm okay with her.

I like MCU Starlord. I also liked DnA's Guardians, but Starlord in it didn't resonate with me. The Han Solo impersonation works for me.
    Although, I couldn't stand watching the cartoon because of the voice they used for him, which sounded like a teenage Peter Parker.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    She could make herself young, or she could've been transformed into an old lady by a spell misfire or an enemy.
    I'm okay with her.

I like MCU Starlord. I also liked DnA's Guardians, but Starlord in it didn't resonate with me. The Han Solo impersonation works for me.
    Although, I couldn't stand watching the cartoon because of the voice they used for him, which sounded like a teenage Peter Parker.
    Agatha Harkness (Earth-616)

Not a fan of it. Instead of Ultimate Comics they should just do a line that is strictly for the MCU, it can borrow plots from the 616 stories but the heros and stuff should be designed specifically with the mcu in mind. it creates a easy jump on point for casual movie fans and doesn't disrupt the main line.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Other things that changed due to the MCU:
    • Sam Wilson became Captain America again because he took over the mantle in the MCU.
    • Monica Rambeau's codename switched from Spectrum to one of her previous ones, Photon, because that's the name she'll use in The Marvels.
    • Nadia Van Dyne's existence is a rather botched synergy with Hope from the Ant-Man movies. Due to Janet and Hank's differences between the comics and films, Nadia's backstory and age are different to Hope, so the comic and MCU characters have very little in common.
    • The introduction of Nick Fury Jr in the comics was because of the MCU, though the movie version was based on Ultimate Nick who was always black.
    • Peggy Carter was reintroduced in the comics, and is now brunette like her actress Hayley Atwell. She used to be blonde like her niece Sharon.

Other things that didn't change:
    • Aunt May was much younger and was killed off in the MCU, in the comics she's old but still alive.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I generally only mind if there's no legitimate in-universe reason for the synergistic changes. Let's be real, nobody reads comics. The audience watching MCU movies and TV shows dwarfs the comic-reading population exponentially so I'm not even sure why they bother. I have never heard anyone I know who enjoys the MCU say it encouraged them to pick up a comic book, and comic book geeks are going to watch the movies + read the comics regardless. None of us were clamoring for young hot Agatha Harkness.

Seeing that chart makes me wonder about the futures of Simon, Kamala and Kang. As far as MCU synergy goes I can't complain about it too much. The only reason one of my favorite characters, Cassie Lang, is back alive and getting merchandise is because of those Ant-Man movies. Otherwise she'd be rotting in a ditch somewhere with Jolt's dead body. It's sad it's come to this but some characters thrive on MCU synergy to even keep their heads above limbo, and even then it's still not the ideal situation to be in.

On the other hand that chart shows what has changed and not for the better in cases like Wanda/Pietro losing a crucial part of their history that made them so fascinating. The Agatha one just comes off as lazy. There's also Nick Fury junior and killing off Brunnhilde. There's also subtle changes like Iron Man being way more quippy then he was in more classic books. It's always weird seeing these old characters act like millennials when I know they've been around since the 60s, but that's not really synergy fault.

Janet shares her niche Wasp title for no other reason but synergy but in this case it barely synergized with what is in the MCU, and just makes it come off as "what was even the point?" and I doubt Hank Pym will ever be Yellowjacket again because of Darren Cross synergy. They can also change a lesser known character completely to fit the MCU personality because they were not a big name before that so the majority outside the fans they had before will know the difference. Examples I guess are Starlord and Shuri according to the charts. So even if you get your lesser known characters exposure it might not even be the version you want or followed. It's a mixed bag. I don't like it at times especially when it clashes with what was previously established, but I can't deny the benefits it can bring as well.
    Last edited by ComicNoobie; 07-08-2023 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I'm okay with her.

Well, he was voiced by Terry McGinnis .

I honestly couldn't care less. It's doesn't matter to me if Star-Lord is now Chris Pratt if that version is still able to entertain me. For me those things have nothing to do with each other.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Seeing that chart makes me wonder about the futures of Simon, Kamala and Kang. As far as MCU synergy goes I can't complain about it too much. The only reason one of my favorite characters, Cassie Lang, is back alive and getting merchandise is because of those Ant-Man movies. Otherwise she'd be rotting in a ditch somewhere with Jolt's dead body. It's sad it's come to this but some characters thrive on MCU synergy to even keep their heads above limbo, and even then it's still not the ideal situation to be in.
    Jolt isn't dead. She's just been in limbo since the end of Zub's first Thunderbolts series (the one with the classic team, Winter Soldier and Kobik).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Marvel editorial keeps trying to glom onto MCU success with forced attempts at synergy. It never seems to work, possibly because many filmgoers simply don't know/care about the comics.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Its not the MCU but lets not forget how the X-men were all suddenly in black leather in the comics after teh movies and how Mystique was suddenly a member when in reality the X-men should have a kill on sight order when it comes to her.

The X-Men have always accepted "reformed" villains into their ranks.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I get the need for the changes in the MCU as the actors and actresses actually age, move on or pass away...but 616 and MCU should be their own things.
    Not when you are trying to sell products-mainly TRADES.

Teen Shuri sells better than her comic book counterpart.

Eternal while the cast has changed-it has not hurt interest in their older runs as those sold very well on Amazon.
    It boils down to Non Comic fans do NOT care. They seem to understand there are many versions of these characters and it's okay to read about all of them if you want.

It's comic fans who have been all levels of toxic about.

It's whose fault Monica sat in limbo for years?
    Whose fault Sam Wilson has more solo issues as Cap America than as Falcon.
    Because when Marvel tried stuff with these guys WHO as the first to take issue with them even making an effort?