Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Not a fan of it. Instead of Ultimate Comics they should just do a line that is strictly for the MCU, it can borrow plots from the 616 stories but the heros and stuff should be designed specifically with the mcu in mind. it creates a easy jump on point for casual movie fans and doesn't disrupt the main line.
    Surface level, this makes logical sense and could potentially please all parties.

That said, not sure it can/will be sustainable as an ongoing universe as Marvel would probably rather tell such stories (616-borrowed plots) in movies, and not in a month by month comic format.

Of course, an "easy-fix" here would be to adopt DC's strategy re. Black Label or Earth One books.

Create an MCU-comic universe and keep it as periodic miniseries/ graphic novels.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Surface level, this makes logical sense and could potentially please all parties.

That said, not sure it can/will be sustainable as an ongoing universe as Marvel would probably rather tell such stories (616-borrowed plots) in movies, and not in a month by month comic format.

Of course, an "easy-fix" here would be to adopt DC's strategy re. Black Label or Earth One books.

Create an MCU-comic universe and keep it as periodic miniseries/ graphic novels.
    Well there is another way to fix that as Star Trek and Dr Who have done.

The comics are what happens in-between the movies or shows.
    Marvel, DC and IDW's Star Trek series all did this.
    They told whatever stories that they wanted but when it was movie time-toys got put back.

It's how Spock got his own ship and Kirk commanded the Excelsior-of course the DC era ignore Star Trek 3. Spock and his crew contracted a disease that killed everyone but him and Kirk saved him.

IDW Star Trek expanded on others we saw in the movie with one major note. One of the crew members that we saw in the last two movies-first appeared in the comics. His origin was explained-he was the humanoid version of the Enterprise. I want to say volume 2 explained why Alice Eve was not there for Star Trek Beyond, building of new Enterprise and introduced Cap Terrell and the borg.

Dr Who depending on the book had different companions for the Dr. Except for the 13th.

Dynamite's Gargoyles is set in the tv universe. I want to say Bob's Burgers and The Simpsons were too. The comics actually aged a character before the show did.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    spoilers:
    Que the 90s X-Men theme.
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well there is another way to fix that as Star Trek and Dr Who have done.

The comics are what happens in-between the movies or shows.
    Marvel, DC and IDW's Star Trek series all did this.
    They told whatever stories that they wanted but when it was movie time-toys got put back.

It's how Spock got his own ship and Kirk commanded the Excelsior-of course the DC era ignore Star Trek 3. Spock and his crew contracted a disease that killed everyone but him and Kirk saved him.

IDW Star Trek expanded on others we saw in the movie with one major note. One of the crew members that we saw in the last two movies-first appeared in the comics. His origin was explained-he was the humanoid version of the Enterprise. I want to say volume 2 explained why Alice Eve was not there for Star Trek Beyond, building of new Enterprise and introduced Cap Terrell and the borg.

Dr Who depending on the book had different companions for the Dr. Except for the 13th.

Dynamite's Gargoyles is set in the tv universe. I want to say Bob's Burgers and The Simpsons were too. The comics actually aged a character before the show did.
    True. This is another fix.

The challenge with this approach though is it may require fans of one medium to actively be aware of/pay attention to the other. Which is something some may find tedious.

Plus with movies, there's a limited run-time so doing a recap to catch audiences up to what transpired in the comics is unlikely. At least with tv-series, entire episodes can be dedicated to such.

terrible dialogue
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

A lot of the time in the classic era they could only get likeness rights for the Doctor and not his companions, That's why the First Doctor had teenagers John and Gillian as companions in his TV Comic stories instead of Susan, Barbara and Ian, and why the Fourth Doctor's DWM comics started with a companion called Sharon instead of Romana. Later on though, Doctor Who Magazine did start using the proper companions in the comic strips - though the Eighth Doctor did have original companions because they couldn't use Grace from the 1996 TV movie. Ninth onwards have always used the show companions, except for near the end of Ten's era, where he had no companion in the show so they used an original one. IDW also used the correct companions (Martha for Ten, Amy for Eleven), and Titan created originals for Ten and Eleven but used the show companions (Clara, and briefly Bill) for Twelve.

spoilers:
    Yeah, this confirms she's getting a mutant resurrection, effectively retconning her origin to match the change made in her show.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Speaking of synergy... Layla El-Faouly just made her debut in Moon Knight 25 and will be in an upcoming limited series Moon Knight: City of the Dead
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Speaking of synergy... Layla El-Faouly just made her debut in Moon Knight 25 and will be in an upcoming limited series Moon Knight: City of the Dead
    That's one I don't really bother, but there is a difference between adding original characters from the MCU and changing the unnecessary synergy in the comics.

Yeah, Phil Coulson was an MCU original character too. The whole Agents of SHIELD team was added to the comics (Fitz, Simmons, Ward) as well. Quake also grew her hair - before the show, in the comics she always wore a short dark crop, but after the show started, they gave her longer and lighter hair to match the show. Funny that the same thing hasn't happened to Maria Hill actually. She also usually has a short dark crop in comics, but has longer hair in the films.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-13-2023 at 03:50 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    That's one I don't really bother, but there is a difference between adding original characters from the MCU and changing the unnecessary synergy in the comics.
    I agree to that. That is how Firestar and Harley Quinn came about...introduced outside comics then brought into them. The real issue to me is the changes made to the characters from comic to MCU then the apparent need to alter the comics to match the changes.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I agree to that. That is how Firestar and Harley Quinn came about...introduced outside comics then brought into them. The real issue to me is the changes made to the characters from comic to MCU then the apparent need to alter the comics to match the changes.
    Some are more successful than others.

Extraordinary Member

I wouldn't say that.

I would look at it like this-Marvel is now adopting the Titan Comics, Valiant, Image and maybe Boom Studios way of business.

While some characters have book that are ongoing-no matter the writer.

Others are having runs by a writer and when that writer leaves-end the book and toss out a new number one. Titan Comics does this with Rivers of London (mainly for story arcs).

So you could say Kelly Thompson's Cap Marvel run versus Cap Marvel vol 10 run. You are now doing it by writer versus a volume and I would suspect that helps trades.

Like my school KNOWS who Gene Yung is. You label a run by him as that versus volume whatever for say Wolverine. It's way more easier for me to get my school to buy that book if you have it labeled as Yung's run versus just Wolverine. If that makes sense. You are selling the writer more than the character.

Along with there some characters who don't need an ongoing. A mini here and there is better in the long run.

Give me a choice of having a Synch 4 issue mini for 5 straight assured years versus trying an ongoing and HOPING you get past issue 6. I'll take the minis. Because that is all you really need.

Thunderbolts got a movie-give each member a MINI only. You will get better sales.
    Honestly, I was just pointing out how ridiculous the notion is that just because a character doesn't carry an ongoing series that that means that said character is a failure in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Poor Sharon Carter. The MCU ruined her in that universe.
    Was there really much to ruin? Even in the comics, the character has always seemed rather...blank.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Honestly, I was just pointing out how ridiculous the notion is that just because a character doesn't carry an ongoing series that that means that said character is a failure in this day and age.
    According to certain folks and MAINLY fans of certain characters who view guys like John Stewart as threats-they are failures.

Yet when you move beyond the comic book store all bets are off.

And some folks REFUSE to accept that.

That outside the comic book store nobody cares about the X-Men (unless you include certain folks) or others who are deemed A listers.

I got kids that can't name X-Men beyond Storm and Logan yet can name every Eternal, GOTG and know who Duke Thomas and know who is Bloodshot and Faith from Valiant.

The publishers forcing "synergy" in the books are stupid. Chasing the mythical "first-time reader" by basically writing/drawing the MCU on page is a losing strategy. #1 reason being that continuous storytelling in comics died about 30-ish years ago. In the films you see characters age, go through changes, die, retire, etc. In the comics, no matter which creators introduce changes to a character and its mythos, the essential status quo remains the same. Hence why the comic book universe should be allowed to tell classic-style stories without having to ape the film designs, speech-pattern, plots, etc.