Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post

Or perhaps readers brought in by USM also decided to check out its sister line? Who knows.
    On this, I agree - "Who knows?"

On this board, quite a few attribute the success of USM to the marraige/family aspect of the book.

Which could be true - I don't know.

What I do know is not everyone is checking USM for that aspect. I have no issue with that aspect, but it's not the reason I decided to try the book out and I doubt I'm the only one. I was a fan of the previous Ultimate line and wanted to see how this new line starts out.

And if you're enjoying one book in the line, you may very well check out other books in the same line. I did that too the first time around!

Not this time though - gotta draw the line when books are $4.99 (or $5.99 or $9.99, etc)!

Anyone can check Ultimate Spider-Man for whatever reason, but Marvel did promote the series with the married with children aspect, above all other things, so there was that. Marvel knew that "Meet the Parkers" was going to be the core of the series.

Astonishing Member

I got into USM because I loved the ultimate line, and hope for another great run. Married Peter or not, I would have bought it anyway. But its a Hugh plus.

Prices are too high to read mediocre books. I canceled Miles Morales now, even though I am a reader from issue 1. I will not try other Spider-Man books except ASM and USM. I wanted to read Black Panther, but damn I have to make a cut.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    On this, I agree - "Who knows?"

On this board, quite a few attribute the success of USM to the marraige/family aspect of the book.

Which could be true - I don't know.

What I do know is not everyone is checking USM for that aspect. I have no issue with that aspect, but it's not the reason I decided to try the book out and I doubt I'm the only one. I was a fan of the previous Ultimate line and wanted to see how this new line starts out.

And if you're enjoying one book in the line, you may very well check out other books in the same line. I did that too the first time around!

Not this time though - gotta draw the line when books are $4.99 (or $5.99 or $9.99, etc)!
    I don't doubt that USM's success is multifactorial. It's likely some combination of all of the above. I even said that before the book's release: the ultimate branding + an all-star creative team* would likely add to the success of this book. That doesn’t diminish that the actual premise of the book is likely contributing. Regardless, it has certainly exceeded expectations. It's seems to be outdoing what even the original Ultimate did (at least in the direct market) during it's heyday.

I think people are being celebratory that a book where the premise is a married middle-aged Spider-Man is seeing so much success when they were told that the contrary would happen for years.

*side note: you could argue that all of the main 616 titles like Amazing benefit in sales from "branding" and attracting top talent. That's not exactly a differentiating factor. Spectacular has Greg Weisman and Humberto Ramos, and takes place in the main continuity. And still USM did better.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 04-09-2024 at 08:51 AM.

Spectacular Member Trapgodthanos's Avatar

The ultimate universe continues to be massively successful with all three titles in the top 10, I know people were skeptical of it when they first announced it but it seems Marvel was right to take a chance on it.

Surprised to see spider men so high considering I didn't hear alot of discussion wound it when it dropped. I thought Miles #18 was going to do alot better, I wonder if the price point scared off some people, still cool to see miles in the top 50.

If the new x-men relaunch hits, Marvel's going to be in good shape between that, the ultimate universe and the spider books

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    Anyone can check Ultimate Spider-Man for whatever reason, but Marvel did promote the series with the married with children aspect, above all other things, so there was that. Marvel knew that "Meet the Parkers" was going to be the core of the series.
    E595990B-51A2-4F4C-8ED6-F7FA1854BB18.jpg

Make no mistake, the marriage is a significant pull for many readers. The engagement and excitement with this announcement dwarfed nearly every other comic or event posting last year by a wide margin - including prior announcements of a new Ultimate Spider-Man comic being on the horizon. And I certainly can attest that it’s the first Spider-Man book since OMD I’ve subscribed to, a sentiment echoed by hundred in my community group.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Astonishing Member

I mean, how many reader including me, were disappointed by how Zeb Wells handled the Mary Jane/Peter Parker/Paul situation?

My guess is as good as yours though I would say many people disliked that story. Outright hated it. MJ´s and Peter Parker's relationship is dead in the 616 universe, even if someone decides to bring them back together.

Was it the plan all along? Take MJ away and create controversety, then giving her back in the Ultimate U to bring in MJ fans? Smart play here.

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    It was marketed right alongside the creative team of Hickman/Checchetto.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I mean, how many reader including me, were disappointed by how Zeb Wells handled the Mary Jane/Peter Parker/Paul situation?

My guess is as good as yours though I would say many people disliked that story. Outright hated it. MJ´s and Peter Parker's relationship is dead in the 616 universe, even if someone decides to bring them back together.

Was it the plan all along? Take MJ away and create controversety, then giving her back in the Ultimate U to bring in MJ fans? Smart play here.
    Even though I prefer MJ being with Spider-Man, I would have been fine if she started out with Paul, and they had a developed relationship. If we got to see them happy together. If he was more of a developed character. If they did anything to make him likeable. Peter having relationship drama is fine. That is engrained into the DNA of the Spider-Man franchise. I get that 616 Spidey is not likely to get married to anyone let alone Mary Jane anytime soon. I don't like that fact, but I do get that. But if that is the case, than actually show the characters in a strong consistent light.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It was marketed right alongside the creative team of Hickman/Checchetto.
    I remember an editor saying comics sell on three things: creative team, characters and hook.

The hook is a big part of sales, and the hook here is that this time Spider-Man is a family man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

I'm definitely going above and beyond to support USM partially due to the marriage. It's a fantastic book but I basically never buy variants. For USM I do and it's because I want to vote with my wallet and express what I feel makes me want to financially support a Spider-Man comic

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post

Not so sure about that.

If they were doing MJ and Peter justice in the 616 right now, I'd be buying two Spider-Man books right now instead of just one. The idea that audiences would only accept one at a time is ridiculous. The reality is far more satisfying:
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Not so sure about that.

If they were doing MJ and Peter justice in the 616 right now, I'd be buying two Spider-Man books right now instead of just one. The idea that audiences would only accept one at a time is ridiculous. The reality is far more satisfying:
    I don't even need them married or 100% together (even if I would prefer that) but actually being written well would be ideal.

I mean, Spencer got them together but they were actually separated for like half of the run but Peter was still written better.

If they were doing MJ and Peter justice in the 616 right now, I'd be buying two Spider-Man books right now instead of just one.
    I'd settle for married in 616 and apart in an alternate reality. What makes the Watson Parker relationship special is their joint history in 616 - nobody would care so much about Hickman's Peter's marriage if it weren't for that.
    Meanwhile, people who like Peter single keep on saying that we oughtn't to care about the history of the characters - all that matters is the current story.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member

Not so sure about that.

Na, one for fans of the marriage and one for fans of the single life Peter Parker. That's ideal and translates into better sales....I guess...I hope...

The complaint I have is how MJ was written in ASM. Horrible.