Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I do wonder how many of these "sales" are actual customer sales versus comic book store sales. How many of these books are simply gathering dust in stores? I often wonder about this in general with American Comic Books given the direct sales business model.

Edit - The sales numbers have been steadily declining for years now but are they actually far lower than we are led to believe? Given the increasingly sad state of the comic book store part of the industry, I strongly suspect there is something very rotten in Denmark as they say.
    Comic book Industry: Why is no one buying our comics?

Also Comic book Industry:

0000000.jpg
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    Comic book Industry: Why is no one buying our comics?

Also Comic book Industry:

0000000.jpg
    What’s wrong with that character?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Yeah, thais had implications for sales of Amazing Spider-Man #26.

Amazing Spider-Man #26 was in 12h place in June, but it was also in 4th place in May when it shipped later in the month (I'm sure part of that was second printings, but not all of it.) So someone looking at one month may get the wrong impression.
    Yep, looking at May's ranking data was collected from May 1 to June 3, 2023., this is the top 4 places on the chart and their date of release.

1. Batman #135 (900th issue special) - published on 2 May 2023, that's approx. 33 days' worth of actual sales data.

2. Amazing Spider-Man #25 (MJ's lost years' special issue ) - published on 10 May 2023 that's approx. 25 days' worth of actual sales data.

3. Avengers #1- published on 17 May 2023- approx. 18 days of actual sales data.

4. Amazing Spider-Man #26 (Ms. Marvel's death) - published on 31 May 2023 approx. 4 days of actual sales data.

Even with the least amount of days of actual sales data ASM#26 was only outranked by other 'special' issues that had more data to take into account.

I agree with some of the criticism about ICv2, but I still think it can be useful for detecting sales trends.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Winslow View Post
    What’s wrong with that character?
    It's not intentional, but a physically disabled superhero whose powers are physical is kind of offensive. It diminishes the very real limitations of disability and casts them as some inconvenience to be overcome with the proper amount of will.

Even the highlighting of extraordinary disabled persons in real life tends to be about making able-bodied people feel less bad about the realities of the lives of the disabled and just how little we really do to help (check working rates for the disabled, even after passing of the ADA).

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    It's not intentional, but a physically disabled superhero whose powers are physical is kind of offensive. It diminishes the very real limitations of disability and casts them as some inconvenience to be overcome with the proper amount of will.

Even the highlighting of extraordinary disabled persons in real life tends to be about making able-bodied people feel less bad about the realities of the lives of the disabled and just how little we really do to help (check working rates for the disabled, even after passing of the ADA).
    Sun-Spider has EDS, and while she uses a wheelchair for convenience, she can very much walk. I think the metaphor would absolutely not play if she couldn't, but it ain't the case here

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Sun-Spider has EDS, and while she uses a wheelchair for convenience, she can very much walk. I think the metaphor would absolutely not play if she couldn't, but it ain't the case here
    And was created by a person who is an ambulatory wheelchair user. And was then appeared in a story written by a wheelchair bound person. I keep reading how people want to see characters just like them on the page.

So I’d really like to know why this character is such a problem for Marvel and their sales?

I keep reading how people want to see characters just like them on the page.
    Then let people see what a horrible chore something as simple as taking a shower can be for some people. (Of course, no one actually wants to see that.)

Fantastic Member

And was created by a person who is an ambulatory wheelchair user. And was then appeared in a story written by a wheelchair bound person. I keep reading how people want to see characters just like them on the page.

So I’d really like to know why this character is such a problem for Marvel and their sales?
    Seems like an anti sjw type dude

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt14teg View Post
    Seems like an anti sjw type dude
    Yeah, it's just a knee jerk reaction to them whenever it's not an able bodied straight white man. Lol.
    Last edited by exile001; 07-10-2023 at 04:14 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Then let people see what a horrible chore something as simple as taking a shower can be for some people. (Of course, no one actually wants to see that.)
    Are you seriously trying to suggest that a wheelchair user created a problematic wheelchair using character? And that a wheelchair using writer wrote a problematic story with that wheelchair using character?

I'd like to know too.

The headline in the image Ulysian_Thracs posted tells us exactly three things about Sun-Spider:

1. The character is a woman
    2. The character is a lesbian
    3. The character is a wheelchair user

So does Ulysian_Thracs take issue with the character being a woman, the character being a lesbian, the character being a wheelchair user, or the combination of those attributes?
    Last edited by Lee; 07-10-2023 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Are you seriously trying to suggest that a wheelchair user created a problematic wheelchair using character? And that a wheelchair using writer wrote a problematic story with that wheelchair using character?
    I feel how I feel.

I don't know much about the mentioned condition, so maybe there's something I'm missing; but this is a long-standing issue I've personally had with depictions of physically disabled people forever, regardless of authorship.

Fantastic Member

Your personal feelings are yours to feel whatever they may be, but, were I you, I’d take a moment to step back and examine those feelings if you’re disagreeing over the portrayal of a character with a disability that was created and written by someone with that same ability

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    Your personal feelings are yours to feel whatever they may be, but, were I you, I’d take a moment to step back and examine those feelings if you’re disagreeing over the portrayal of a character with a disability that was created and written by someone with that same ability
    Why?

That's one voice. And I articulated my issues. They either make sense or they don't.

(I allow that reasonable people can disagree. But that's kind of my point here. I never implied malice, even before anyone mentioned the author's experience.)

Fantastic Member

Because that person has more experience with the disability they’re writing about than an able bodied person? Your perspective on this issue is ignorant in comparison to theirs? It should be common practice to re-examine your feelings on an issue when someone who actually has to deal with that issue in everyday of their life offers their take on it

I can only go by what little I've read in the Slott Spider-Man run. And nothing there indicates the granular differentiation from other people who use crutches that is being heavily implied here.