Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Will definitely check it out when I have a few minutes!

Out of curiosity, was this 60's Superboy TV show (which I believe was titled The Adventures of Superboy) intended to be a prequel to the George Reeves Superman show?

If so, curious to know when it would have been set - the present-day, or the 1940's. And did Rockwell try to play a younger version of George Reeves' Clark?
    Just checked the dates. The Superboy pilot was made in 1961 and the George Reeves series ended in 1959. So, it may have been intended as a prequel but probably not a "strict" one. I assume the series was set in the modern day but not specifically related to the time frame of TAOS.

Reeves committed suicide in 1959 so maybe the idea was to capitalize on the popularity of The Adventures of Superman series but go with a "different" character. Doing another Superman series so soon after his death might have been seen as disrespectful given how popular Reeves was in the role.

bbbbb2.jpg
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-07-2023 at 04:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Will definitely check it out when I have a few minutes!

Out of curiosity, was this 60's Superboy TV show (which I believe was titled The Adventures of Superboy) intended to be a prequel to the George Reeves Superman show?

If so, curious to know when it would have been set - the present-day, or the 1940's. And did Rockwell try to play a younger version of George Reeves' Clark?
    I dont think it was meant to be a prequel as im pretty sure Reeves Superman suits up for the first time in the first episode of his series.

It was more about capitalizing off of the success of TaoSM

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I dont think it was meant to be a prequel as im pretty sure Reeves Superman suits up for the first time in the first episode of his series.

It was more about capitalizing off of the success of TaoSM
    Been forever since I watched the first episode of the Reeves series, but I don't think it was explicitly stated either way.

Granted, continuity was a much 'looser' concept back then, not least in the comics themselves.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The Superboy show takes place in a different universe than the Reeves show. Yes, the first episode was the first time he suited up. Ma made it for him and gave it to him before he got on the bus to Metropolis. The Superboy show was supposed to take place in what was then the modern day.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

The Flash featurette about the past Supergirls:

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    The Flash featurette about the past Supergirls:

I know it will never happen but WB or some magazine should do a photoshoot with all the live action Supergirls (and others tbh).

Also cant believe we'll be getting our 5th live action Kara within the next 5 years.

I know it will never happen but WB or some magazine should do a photoshoot with all the live action Supergirls (and others tbh).

Also cant believe we'll be getting our 5th live action Kara within the next 5 years.
    That would be cool .

She is reaching the iconicity of Batman and Superman who were played by multiple actors even in a short amount of time.

Repost from the DC board:

Back in 2022, I listed in the Superman board a bunch of Supes related stuff I was aware of from the early cut of The Flash film, and there was in the early screenings (March/July 2022) a throwaway Jimmy Olsen "cameo" at the very end of the film:

Few other Superman-related Easter-eggs: at the beginning of the movie, SM is on the news on TV saving some place from some disaster. And at the end of the movie, the most random cameo they could have added, among a bunch of journalists interviewing Barry after his dad is freed from prison, there's one of the press presented as Jimmy Olsen.
    I got "huh?" as response asking if it was still in the "Cinemacon cut" in 2023 assuming Gunn was going to wipe out all these small teases and references, nor I noticed one of the press identify himself as Jimmy Olsen in the final film released in June. But it turned out, the Jimmy thing is still semi-present in the final cut of The Flash albeit covered by other voices.

If you turn up the volume at max before Clooney shows up, one of the press says: "I'm Jimmy Olsen from the Daily Planet" lmao: https://twitter.com/NebsGoodTakes/st...79249604038800

Jimmy sneaking unnoticed into the ending of The Flash while everyone else got cut. 💀

Still sucks half of the DCEU's world building were throwaway references and easter-eggs.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-29-2023 at 12:57 PM.

Astonishing Member

She is reaching the iconicity of Batman and Superman who were played by multiple actors even in a short amount of time.
    Yeah, I'm really happy that another DC character, even if she's an extension of the Superman franchise, is inching towards A-list (or at least B+ list) status.

From being wiped out in 1986 to today, Supergirl's revival has been fabulous!

Its also great that we're getting a lot of varied interpretations of Supergirl, just as we have for Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    If that’s the case we would have gotten a Batman fatigue by now.
    Because Batmans meant for unlimited veriaty more than Superman, he's a evolving ip as a action thriller and can spread out of his superhero gimmick by his cast of villains and side characters, Supes only has three characters that can do that, Lois, Lex and maybe Jor El.

Yeah, I'm really happy that another DC character, even if she's an extension of the Superman franchise, is inching towards A-list (or at least B+ list) status.

Its also great that we're getting a lot of varied interpretations of Supergirl, just as we have for Superman.
    Being an extension of the Superman franchise helped to have different incarnations of her, as 3 of them (Slater, Vandervoort, Calle) were introduced in an universe where her cousin was already introduced and established. The same will apply to Gunn's version of Supergirl.

Supergirl is moving into an IP status that indeed puts her up there with the existing top DC IPs.

The CW's Supergirl series got more than 5 million viewers when it debuted on the CW. Second only to Flash. Superman and Lois at its peak only received a little more than a million viewers. It got well north of 6 million viewers during its first year when it was on a major network. Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow could establish Supergirl as her own IP independent of the Superman IP. If, big if, Gunn's Phase 1 gets made as proposed I could see S:WOT being huge. A BO hit similar to Gal's first Wonder Woman film. Possibly the second most successful Phase 1 film after Brave and Bold.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 09-02-2023 at 08:08 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Supergirl is moving into an IP status that indeed puts her up there with the existing top DC IPs.

The CW's Supergirl series got more than 5 million viewers when it debuted on the CW. Second only to Flash. Superman and Lois at its peak only received a little more than a million viewers. It got well north of 6 million viewers during its first year when it was on a major network. Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow could establish Supergirl as her own IP independent of the Superman IP. If, big if, Gunn's Phase 1 gets made as proposed I could see S:WOT being huge. A hit similar to Gal's first Wonder Woman film. Possibly the second most successful Phase 1 film after Brave and Bold.
    Oh absolutely!

I think it helps that when it comes to audience perceptions of Supergirl, DC/WB isn't as boxed in as they are with Superman. You can be a lot more experimental with the character and her stories than you can with Superman (where adherance to the consensus 'Donner with Post-Crisis' take is pretty much an article of faith).

I haven't read Woman of Tomorrow yet, but everything I've heard about it suggests a story and a depiction of Supergirl that's very different from the one Melissa Benoist brought to the small screen. And Sasha Calle's Supergirl was pretty different from the Benoist Supergirl as well. So its great that in a relatively sort span of time we're getting a lot of varied Supergirl portrayals, as opposed to letting a single interpretation become the definitive one that then calcifies.

Oh absolutely!

I think it helps that when it comes to audience perceptions of Supergirl, DC/WB isn't as boxed in as they are with Superman. You can be a lot more experimental with the character and her stories than you can with Superman (where adherance to the consensus 'Donner with Post-Crisis' take is pretty much an article of faith).

I haven't read Woman of Tomorrow yet, but everything I've heard about it suggests a story and a depiction of Supergirl that's very different from the one Melissa Benoist brought to the small screen. And Sasha Calle's Supergirl was pretty different from the Benoist Supergirl as well. So its great that in a relatively sort span of time we're getting a lot of varied Supergirl portrayals, as opposed to letting a single interpretation become the definitive one that then calcifies.
    Exactly. Supergirl will be a blank slate initially in the DCU. Her first film will be universe spanning with her own supporting characters - insofar as what Gunn has said. I doubt Superman makes an appearance in her film.

The calcification is true. It sounds like Superman Legacy will be a riff on the Donner Superman. Same tone with a goofy Clark - a galoot as Gunn calls his Superman.

If S:WOT is a massive hit as was Wonder Woman I can see her becoming the main Kryptonian focus in the DCU. Perhaps replacing Superman in the JL if they ever do a JL. Gunn is supportive of female characters and any JL will definitely be more diverse with more female core members. I could see the 6 core members being half male and half female - with WW, Supergirl and another less known female DC superhero. Maybe Zantana as one podcaster suggested w/the DCU JL might include - needing an element of "magic".
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 09-02-2023 at 11:19 AM.