Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

Best Lois's: Kidder, Durance/Haiduk (though Haiduk played Lana) Bitsy, Adams and Bosworth.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Don't forget SR. How could you leave the Singer masterpiece (tongue in cheek) off the list?

Another aspect is the suit. Which projects most adapted the Reeve suit?

Superboy is at the top of that list. The series took the Reeve suit and "improved" it. Thicker cape, more regal attachment at the neck, larger shield and boots more fitted and higher on the calf.

Next is L&C. Though the suit looked "cheap" compared to Reeve's suit it had the color scheme and basic attributes.

Superman Returns was close to Reeve's suit but the shield was way too small, the belt funky and the colors muted. Also, something was off about the fit.

MOS and S&L are the least similar suits. I rate MOS ahead of S&L as the MOS suit is more form fitting, has a better shield and boots. If only it were brighter. I like the MOS suit, I don't like the S&L suit. So it's not a question of the trunks. I can live with or without them.
    Isn't the Reeves suit basically just a live-action adaptation of the classic Superman suit?

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Isn't the Reeves suit basically just a live-action adaptation of the classic Superman suit?
    Yeah, Fabric technology had changed with the introduction of Lycra so Reeve's suit fit like a second skin while GR's suit was "baggy". Going to a skin-tight fabric also forced the actors to be in shape. Reeve worked out to prepare for his films and Chritopher was a triathlete and very buff when his series was filmed. Supposedly no padding was used on Superboy. In any case the look was perfect.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 07-12-2023 at 09:16 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Yeah, Fabric technology had changed with the introduction of lycra so Reeve's suit fit like a second skin while GR's suit was "bagggy".
    Understood.

But fundamentally its still the same basic design.

Like if Corenswet were to have the 'classic' suit, it'd probably look a bit different from the Reeve suit due to more modern fabrics and higher-grade visuals, but it'd still broadly be the same design. Like, it might resemble the S&L suit, albeit with trunks.

Incredible Member

I find this photo of Jimmy in Batman v Superman strange, I don't believe he is really Jimmy, just a haphazard and non-speaking photographer who died at the beginning of the film, nobody talks about him in the film and I have the impression that the director only after that the film was released that said that it was Jimmy just to call attention, be controversial and be dark

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    I find this photo of Jimmy in Batman v Superman strange, I don't believe he is really Jimmy, just a haphazard and non-speaking photographer who died at the beginning of the film, nobody talks about him in the film and I have the impression that the director only after that the film was released that said that it was Jimmy just to call attention, be controversial and be dark
    It's Zack Snyder so you're probably right. Same with the dead Robin beinv Dick

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I love these! I think SR Jimmy gets overlooked even though I think he's one of the better versions. When MOS came out I thought the girl who played Lana looked like the girl from iCarly.
    Assassinate Putin!

I think a lot of people's perception of Superman is shaped by the Donner movies, with some Post-Crisis elements thrown in. So that's the well most adaptations tend to go back to. It's shaped my own perception of what the 'classic' Superman is, as I wrote about in depth in my thread on the subject - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...assic-Superman

That said, I disagree with you on MOS. It's very much influenced by the Donner movie too, albeit filtered through a more 'realist' lens. It's basically the first two Donner movies with a darker (or rather, morally grey) sensibility. So many plot beats and elements are in common between the two - General Zod's failed coup just before Krypton's destruction leading to his imprisonment in the Phantom Zone and later attempting to take over earth, Jonathan Kent's death during Clark's teenage years, Clark traveling to the Arctic and finding/building the Fortress where the Jor-El hologram reveals his heritage and provides him with the suit, and a few more that don't readily come to mind.
    I was mostly thinking of the visual style. But it didn't occur to me to take into account the story. Yeah, MOS was basically a retelling of the first two movies.
    Assassinate Putin!

I'm surprised that Cat Grant isnt used more in live action to counter Lois

Understood.

But fundamentally its still the same basic design.

Like if Corenswet were to have the 'classic' suit, it'd probably look a bit different from the Reeve suit due to more modern fabrics and higher-grade visuals, but it'd still broadly be the same design. Like, it might resemble the S&L suit, albeit with trunks.
    I don't like Tyler's suit. With or w/o trunks. My least favorite of all the iterations. Now if they were going retro and did a suit like Tyler wore when he guested first on Supergirl that might work.

Yes, Lex. I prefer a Lex who is close to Clark in age and debonair to the point where Lois, and other ladies, find him very attractive. Gene Hackman was a bit goofy in the role and older but still iconic. I rank him number one as a sort of place of honor. Beyond that:

John Shea and Michael Rosenbaum. Both nailed the role with Shea having the perfect debonair aura.

Sherman Howard. A bit old but he could play goofy Lex or dead serious Lex. Loved his chemistry with Gerard.

Kevin Spacy - a poor mimicking of Hackman. Like what was the point.

Jesse Eisenberg. Yeah, he was young but what a mess. Even though Spacy was bad, Eisenberg wasn't even playing Lex. What Snyder was thinking with that casting escapes me.

I didn't watch Supergirl so no comment and too little of Lex at the end of this season of S&L to comment yet.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 07-12-2023 at 04:44 PM.

I'm surprised that Cat Grant isnt used more in live action to counter Lois
    It's a shame we never got Bitsie and Calista on-screen together.

Incredible Member

Smallville has the best version of Lex! None of the others come close

And that that should have more versions of him that Clark knew in his youth, this is an element I like. Is Smallville the only adaptation that has this? I still think its underestimated
    Last edited by Lucas 35; 07-12-2023 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    Smallville has the best version of Lex! None of the others come close

And that that should have more versions of him that Clark knew in his youth, this is an element I like. Is Smallville the only adaptation that has this? I still think its underestimated
    It was originally from the SA comics. Both Supergirl and Titans had them growing up together. Though we never got to see it.
    Assassinate Putin!