Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A Predator vs a hippo

An unarmed Predator versus a hippopotamus

Astonishing Member

Just in his clothes, no gloved claws, etc. No body armor, helmet?

I opine that a big old male hippo could bite one in half as they do crocodiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post

Don't they fight Xenomorphs unarmed? A hippo probably isn't going to bwme problems

Hippos are considered stronger and tough than even rhinos and I've seen film of a rhino hooking it's horn under the body of a 300 pound boar and toss it ten feet plus into the air.

I don't know all of a predators unarmed feats but getting bitten by a hippo is no joke. Whatever they bite is going to go in the discard pile- removed from the body.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Don't they fight Xenomorphs unarmed? A hippo probably isn't going to bwme problems
    No, they bring weapons for Xenomorph fights.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Well a large Grizzly gave the Pred in Prey a good fight and that can be assumed to be around 800 lbs which is typical for a large male Grizzly, a large male Hippo is over 4 times that and is assumedly going to be that much stronger, a Yautja is going to be hard pressed to hurt one bare handed as well given they have skin up to 2 inches thick that low energy guns can have difficulty penetrating, and yeah the Hippo could bite one clear in half if it gets its jaws on them, even ignoring the foot and a half long tusks they have one of the strongest bite forces in the modern animal kingdom, only Crocodilians and Great White Sharks have more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    I know they usually have wepons but I've seen them fight them unarmed before.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Hippos are considered stronger and tough than even rhinos and I've seen film of a rhino hooking it's horn under the body of a 300 pound boar and toss it ten feet plus into the air.

I don't know all of a predators unarmed feats but getting bitten by a hippo is no joke. Whatever they bite is going to go in the discard pile- removed from the body.
    Rhinos? Hippos are smaller, and have been rolled by them. Sure, both are short-tempered herbivores and built like tanks, but rhinos have the size advantage there. Hippos have tried, sure, but failed.

Otherwise, yeah. Hippo is gonna chomp into anything it can get its big mouth on. I'm just unsure how effective it will be on a Predator.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Rhinos? Hippos are smaller, and have been rolled by them. Sure, both are short-tempered herbivores and built like tanks, but rhinos have the size advantage there. Hippos have tried, sure, but failed.

Otherwise, yeah. Hippo is gonna chomp into anything it can get its big mouth on. I'm just unsure how effective it will be on a Predator.
    No he's right Hippos are above Rhinos.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Well a large Grizzly gave the Pred in Prey a good fight and that can be assumed to be around 800 lbs which is typical for a large male Grizzly, a large male Hippo is over 4 times that and is assumedly going to be that much stronger, a Yautja is going to be hard pressed to hurt one bare handed as well given they have skin up to 2 inches thick that low energy guns can have difficulty penetrating, and yeah the Hippo could bite one clear in half if it gets its jaws on them, even ignoring the foot and a half long tusks they have one of the strongest bite forces in the modern animal kingdom, only Crocodilians and Great White Sharks have more.
    Exactly.

That grizzly went in on that Yautja.

Barehanded, the Yautja will struggle with that Hippo.

Back from the dead! Radioactive Zombie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    One did get disarmed in the first AVP flick and fought H2H with a Xenomorph. It looked like a damn wrestling match.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Radioactive Zombie View Post
    One did get disarmed in the first AVP flick and fought H2H with a Xenomorph. It looked like a damn wrestling match.
    Wrestling doesn't usually have that much shakey-cam. :B

What's the speed of a hippo on sandy ground? Because the Predator could potentially turn this into an endurance contest of it goes totally defensive. If it can avoid being chomped on long enough the hippo will eventually suffer from being out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippo Fact Sheet
    While they sleep in the water, they surface automatically and breathe without waking up. Hippos can't survive for long out of water because their skin is extremely sensitive to direct sunlight, which is why they secrete a red, oily substance, once thought to be blood, that serves as both a sunscreen and an antibiotic.
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

Astonishing Member

I see 19 to 30 mph. Having the Predator basically run away until the hippo gets tired is boring. Also, the OP didn't state this was outside the arena. So it's in the arena and the Predator, I supposed can dodge around. However, it would have to approach the hippo at some time. Can you get DQ'ed for not engaging?

I might postulate that Hippo from Krypton lands in Hogwarts just for fun. Can the wizards fight a mad hippo biting people in half at light speed? Just a joke, folks.

I see 19 to 30 mph. Having the Predator basically run away until the hippo gets tired is boring. Also, the OP didn't state this was outside the arena. So it's in the arena and the Predator, I supposed can dodge around. However, it would have to approach the hippo at some time. Can you get DQ'ed for not engaging?
    There's nothing against the rules in resorting purely to defense and waiting an opponent out until they sleep, starve or die. It's a valid tactic that's been used in numerous matches, such as with the Vision against opponents he couldn't otherwise hurt.

And I've just realized unarmed doesn't mean no equipment. The Predator may not have weapons but he would still have any standard equipment which isn't a weapon. Such as his cloaking device. Unless the hippo has good enough hearing or sense of smell to locate him, the Predator could just make himself invisible and wait till heat stroke or some other malady overcomes his opponent.
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member