BANNED

Default Is Spider-Man the only pop cultural mascot who's casually killed off so much?

I mean, I get hes the main mascot of marvel comics, but why do they kill him off or beat him up and thus make him look bad in various spin offs where he's easily dispatched and taken out before doing anything thus making him pointless. There's also the fact Marvel likes to let him be the victim of many popular anti-hero killing to show off how cooler they are compared to him, that's very disrespectful to me as a Spidey fan. It's like letting Red Hood or Harley Quinn getting away with killing Superman in a casual way without any consequences, even when Supes gets murdered, it's in a respectful way usually, spidey is just dispatched like a common fodder in the way. What do you guys think? Is Spidey the only icon with this sort of thing?

He doesn't die that often.

He gets his ass kicked sometimes, but that's been part of the series since the Vulture left him in a water tower. Next issue, Dr Octopus left him so dispirited he needed a pep talk from Johnny Storm.

He's in a lot of stories, so there will be more examples of him losing than most heroes simply because there's going to be more stories with him than Red Hood. His power set is ideal for stories where he takes a beating and keeps on fighting. He's not as tough as Superman, but he could survive things that will kill any non-powered human.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

he the mascot but he isn't treated like how Batman is treated in DC. Or hell even Pikachu in Pokemon. I have yet to see a major event in marvel where they won cause of Spiderman if there is then it's my mistake and I will like to be pointed to it. although he has the popularity of those major heroes outside of comics in reality he is treated as a B tier hero in comics. so it's probably why they don't have a problem with other heroes or villains getting a drop on him. and it's not like creators or fans have any issue with it either
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    he the mascot but he isn't treated like how Batman is treated in DC. Or hell even Pikachu in Pokemon. I have yet to see a major event in marvel where they won cause of Spiderman if there is then it's my mistake and I will like to be pointed to it. although he has the popularity of those major heroes outside of comics in reality he is treated as a B tier hero in comics. so it's probably why they don't have a problem with other heroes or villains getting a drop on him. and it's not like creators or fans have any issue with it either
    One complicating factor is that Spider-Man isn't treated with respect in-universe. It's been a big part of the series since Amazing Spider-Man #1.

So it's a balancing trick to figure out his role in the larger Marvel Universe. If he's the main hero in event titles, it clashes with that aspect of the character. But he's also Marvel's most popular hero.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    He doesn't die that often.
    He's always seems to die casually and underwhelmingly in else worlds and crossover events about the end of the world, the apocalypse or simply a character going on a killing spree killing everyone. Hell he he died underneath everyone's notice in the end of his issue 700, then his multiversal mantle gets killed off like it'saa normal thing to everyone, spidey even dies recently in the movies now that's to spiderverse. Wolverine doesn't get that much dismiss when he dies.
    Last edited by Hoodj; 07-09-2023 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One complicating factor is that Spider-Man isn't treated with respect in-universe. It's been a big part of the series since Amazing Spider-Man #1.

So it's a balancing trick to figure out his role in the larger Marvel Universe. If he's the main hero in event titles, it clashes with that aspect of the character. But he's also Marvel's most popular hero.
    I can understand that at the beginning of his career he was a dick but at this point in his career he been a hero for way too long for that to be the reason why he isn't among the top echelon of heroes

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Are we just talking about random issues of What If? They're not particularly high profile, the vast majority of them were forgotten the month after they were published.

The two big What If cliche endings were "everyone dies" and "everything goes back to normal".

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I can understand that at the beginning of his career he was a dick but at this point in his career he been a hero for way too long for that to be the reason why he isn't among the top echelon of heroes
    He's not the one saving the world from Galactus or Thanos and he's been the victim of a media smear campaign since he started super-heroing. And it makes for a more dramatic story with more conflict if he gets less respect than other heroes. It's one of the core tenets of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Are we just talking about random issues of What If? They're not particularly high profile, the vast majority of them were forgotten the month after they were published.

The two big What If cliche endings were "everyone dies" and "everything goes back to normal".

He's not the one saving the world from Galactus or Thanos and he's been the victim of a media smear campaign since he started super-heroing. And it makes for a more dramatic story with more conflict if he gets less respect than other heroes. It's one of the core tenets of the series.
    i agree with you only for the beginning of his career at this point it will be repetitive that in 2023 that Parker Spider-man is still getting smear campaigns especially when Jameson the main reason for those campaigns no longer hates him

Astonishing Member

It is what it is. A series has to be about something. If it gets repetitive after 61 years, so be it. That's just a "How many times can Batman fight the Joker?" thing.

Jameson the main reason for those campaigns no longer hates him
    That's something that's bound to change as well (and good thing too. Jameson's anti-Spidey rants and Peter's practicle jokes at his expense are something that's too good and iconic to be gone forever.)

retcon away his deaths at the hands of Deadpool. Atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    He's always seems to die casually and underwhelmingly in else worlds and crossover events about the end of the world, the apocalypse or simply a character going on a killing spree killing everyone. Hell he he died underneath everyone's notice in the end of his issue 700, then his multiversal mantle gets killed off like it'saa normal thing to everyone, spidey even dies recently in the movies now that's to spiderverse. Wolverine doesn't get that much dismiss when he dies.
    Well if we're discussing random issues of What If? that doesn't really count, given that's at partially writers doing something that they'd never be able to in mainline continuity to establish stakes, just like how in the What If series Tony's the one to bite it most often.

Also as much as I disliked Superior, it's only the first time in mainline continuity where Peter died and stayed dead. And as far as anyone else knew he wasn't even dead, unlike most other cases.

Is Spider-Man the only pop cultural mascot who's casually killed off so much?
    Have people already forgotten Kenny from South Park?