Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Default Jack Kirby's "Hulk" In DC Comics part 2...

"Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I don't know for certain, but I feel that Lee either did his own dialoguing or had someone other than Kirby do it. If you're ever read Kirby's dialoguing from his period at DC, it's not the same as the early Marvel books. That said, I feel Lee took way too much credit that he didn't deserve.
    I agree with point 1, but disagree with point 2. Maybe because it's that I was around during the period when Stan would be speaking at colleges and the like, but I know (because I heard him say so), Stan was always extremely open about the part the roles Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko played in creating the Marvel Age. If you look at his Origins of Marvel Comics, his book on that period, you'll see that. The real inequity is not in credit, but in money. Stan was the face of Marvel and got paid for it. Maybe Jack could have shared in that, but that was not his thing. It surely wasn't Steve's thing; he was a well known introvert.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I agree with point 1, but disagree with point 2. Maybe because it's that I was around during the period when Stan would be speaking at colleges and the like, but I know (because I heard him say so), Stan was always extremely open about the part the roles Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko played in creating the Marvel Age. If you look at his Origins of Marvel Comics, his book on that period, you'll see that. The real inequity is not in credit, but in money. Stan was the face of Marvel and got paid for it. Maybe Jack could have shared in that, but that was not his thing. It surely wasn't Steve's thing; he was a well known introvert.
    I'm not sure but wouldn't Marvel's publisher at the time Martin Goodman have control of the salary of artists? Or was their some standard rate since they were still under a work for hire situation?

Astonishing Member

Yep. If you watch any interview of Lee's you'll notice that he not giving credit to his artists is just a myth. Not sure why that conspiracy theory is so popular when it's so easy to debunk.