Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Dealing with mental illness isn't "a lane," it's just a fact of life for some people. The fact that she has consistently struggled with her mental health and chooses to do good/be a hero at the same time makes her more interesting, and more relatable. I'm sure this word will trigger some but IMO it's ableist to try to wish away her mental illness. I agree it shouldn't be her defining character trait but it shouldn't be removed either. Some people are Bipolar. Some people have depression, PTSD, anxiety, whatever else. Lorna's history makes her having mental illness(es) incredibly understandable and adds a tragic element to her that not every hero has.
    I agree so strongly with this, particularly the bolded. This is pretty much exactly how feel in regards to Lorna. These struggles make her more human, and as you said, more relatable.

xoxoxoxoxo

Mental illness is a loaded term and unless one irons down what one means by it the end result is 9 out of 10 times terrible for the character in question.

Lorna does have a real-world mental illness and its called PTSD. However, writers trying to write over her trauma that was big enough and relatable enough (IE Genosha) to matter in the context of the x-books with 'their idea' of what she should be traumatized by so 'they own' her pathos is a massive problem for her story. Austen did his wedding trauma for Lorna without erasing her Genosha trauma and instead writing alongside it.

The ups and downs of her personality have been very real from her first storyline, but they were based on being jacked on power not on being real world bipolar. Magneto and yes Zaladane when she was using Lorna's power had the exact same thing of being high/manic on power when they were overusing. I consider it a metaphor for bipolar instead of the real deal. I listened to a podcast with Williams who did read that summary of Lorna's issues from Marvel and she said she ignored the power based stuff as stupid... meaning she wrote her as really having bipolar.

Writing her as 'real bipolar' tends to be a disaster and was again under Williams. The power-based metaphor is very helpful for avoiding going through a Milligan like run of Lorna becoming 'loony Lorna' then the next writer being written as Jean lite after the fan reaction demands she be written more put together. Then under the next writer being written loony again because fans really don't like diet Jean Lorna either.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-11-2023 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Hmm...a second Polaris thread that's just an exact replica of the first Polaris thread.
    Your mom is an exact replica of the first Polaris thread.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

And I do like her current costume very much as it does suit her casual laid back vibe. (She was awesome in her Scarlet Witch appearance) It would be interesting to see if and how Duggan carries her story regarding her grief.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I would argue that Williams was doing really good with her but then she spent a good part of that run possessed by Morrigan.
    I genuinely feel Williams was the worst thing to happen to Lorna in two decades. Just forced, contrived non-sense that did nothing for her. Everything about her became so overtly melodramatic, and I'll never forgive her for ruining her relationship to Magneto by drumming up some forgettable drama to drive a wedge between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    I genuinely feel Williams was the worst thing to happen to Lorna in two decades. Just forced, contrived non-sense that did nothing for her. Everything about her became so overtly melodramatic, and I'll never forgive her for ruining her relationship to Magneto by drumming up some forgettable drama to drive a wedge between them.
    I'm not sure we will agree on Williams but it's ok. We can agree that Trial of Magneto was a wasteful mess for everybody though.

Quote Originally Posted by emfrst View Post
    B4 X-men relaunch Lorna was consistently portrayed as a level-headed woman, who is aware of her lineage & responsibility. She even led X-factor in multiple occasions. Very Jean-lite

Then Duggan gave her sunglasses, thigh high boots, & a miniskirt, then suddenly she is this carefree, emotional yenta. Not leadership material at all. Very Monet or Dazzler-lite.

Any1 finds this disconcerting ? Do u prefer old polaris or new polaris?
    In that she finally has a personality after lagging around just there for the past few years? I welcome it

The real question is who even is Polaris as a person

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    In that she finally has a personality after lagging around just there for the past few years? I welcome it
    in that:who is this woman? Did she got replaced by a Skrull? Is another Secret Invasion happening rn?

Quote Originally Posted by emfrst View Post
    in that:who is this woman? Did she got replaced by a Skrull? Is another Secret Invasion happening rn?
    In that she is fun and actually seems to be enjoying life instead of being a depressive mess or just a generic blaster member. I wish more was done with her but she does exude alot more personality and stands out when she does appear. A problem with her in recent years is that she is written as bland and is devoid of any. I think the recent issue showed that there are layers to her and I suspect what we've seen up to this point in the book has been more of a defense mechanism to hide her more vulnerable side. Jean was able to capture her when she was alone and not "putting on" for everyone else. They have a long history of being friends which isnt often shown but that one scene did alot to convey that. In some ways Lorna is still a mess but she's better adjusted and I think thats partly bc she and mutantkind has thrived in this era. I've always been a fan of hers but i havent enjoyed her this much in quite some time. Overall I would say Duggan's influence on her has been positive. She's more defined and other creators are picking up on that which I do appreciate bc the consistent portrayal only strengthens her

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Exactatiously and Amen!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Honestly i find it weird it took her so long to have a breakdown because of her fathers death, i mean if you were going to have her grieve then do it right after the very event that killed him or something and not wait who knows how long.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Honestly i find it weird it took her so long to have a breakdown because of her fathers death, i mean if you were going to have her grieve then do it right after the very event that killed him or something and not wait who knows how long.
    That scene wasnt her having a breakdown though. She was alone in bed and teared up while thinking about him. It was very subtle, no theatrics and she was taking a moment to herself. Grief is ongoing and the implication is that this is something she's done from time to time. Its possible she may have had a breakdown closer to when he died but that wasnt shown. This definitely was not that however

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Dealing with mental illness isn't "a lane," it's just a fact of life for some people. The fact that she has consistently struggled with her mental health and chooses to do good/be a hero at the same time makes her more interesting, and more relatable. I'm sure this word will trigger some but IMO it's ableist to try to wish away her mental illness. I agree it shouldn't be her defining character trait but it shouldn't be removed either. Some people are Bipolar. Some people have depression, PTSD, anxiety, whatever else. Lorna's history makes her having mental illness(es) incredibly understandable and adds a tragic element to her that not every hero has.
    Dealing with mental illness IS a lane as it pertains to superhero comics. I recognize many relate the comics to the real world, however in comic books, that trait would be her lane/main story point. Polaris would be the “mentally ill one” of the X-Men and to me that’s not only not her character, it’s a disservice to representing real mental illness/bipolar disorder considering how terrible Lorna’s writing surrounding any moments like that have been. Again, to me, it’s turning her into Green Wanda instead of letting Lorna be the laid back mutant acolyte of the X-Men. Lorna has been shown multiple times saying she’s not mentally ill and that alone isn’t how bipolar disorder works.

The only thing Williams did right was confirm Lorna’s phd. Everything else was truly terrible. Had she not won the X-Men vote, Lorna’s character would’ve been so derailed. Hopefully, she can continue showing her personality on the X-Men and her fierceness (heavy on the fierceness coming back because it’s been too much coffee). Now that she can’t rely on being an Acolyte again after her time on the X-Men ended and Magneto is dead, she decides for herself what she does next.