Default I miss Television Without Pity

It was a great site that had forums for almost every show on TV. They closed saying people had shifted to social media. I thought that is pretty sad. Instead of thoughtful discussion after viewing, people tweeting "OMG, I can't believe she said that" in the middle of a show now passes for discourse.
    We have a good forum here, but it primarily for fantasy/sf shows.
    Is there another forum site out there that is as comprehensive as TVWP was?

You could go for The AV Club. No forum, but covers a wide range of shows and the comments are fairly forum like. Relatively smart, but can be negative enough, I find.

Den Of Geek is a UK site, decent amount of reviews from different shows, though got on my nerves enough to quit.

TV Fanatic may or may not be good for comments, though DOG definitely isn't. Wide range of shows covered, fairly well expressed reviews, though I quit it for my own reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    You could go for The AV Club. No forum, but covers a wide range of shows and the comments are fairly forum like. Relatively smart, but can be negative enough, I find.

Den Of Geek is a UK site, decent amount of reviews from different shows, though got on my nerves enough to quit.

TV Fanatic may or may not be good for comments, though DOG definitely isn't. Wide range of shows covered, fairly well expressed reviews, though I quit it for my own reasons.
    Thanks, I'll check them out.

Spectacular Member

Previously.TV inherited a lot from TWoP. Might want to check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    It was a great site that had forums for almost every show on TV. They closed saying people had shifted to social media. I thought that is pretty sad. Instead of thoughtful discussion after viewing, people tweeting "OMG, I can't believe she said that" in the middle of a show now passes for discourse.
    We have a good forum here, but it primarily for fantasy/sf shows.
    Is there another forum site out there that is as comprehensive as TVWP was?
    Didnt it close because NBC bought it and didnt know what to do with because they wanted to turn it into something that it wasnt?
    Big companies never seem to understand that websites that poop and make fun of stuff are popular because they arent governed by PR firms that dictate what can and cant be said.

Didn't know that site went away! There was one writer named Jacob on there who was a huge comic book fan. He was a good writer/reviewer, if a bit wordy and self-indulgent at times.

I read the AV Club recaps of certain shows. They're mostly pretty good if far more brief than TWoP generally was. Their comments section runs on Disqus which is kind of terrible. AVClub generally has some new comics coverage.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

Quote Originally Posted by mattperiolat View Post
    Previously.TV inherited a lot from TWoP. Might want to check them out.
    That looks pretty good, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Didnt it close because NBC bought it and didnt know what to do with because they wanted to turn it into something that it wasnt?
    Big companies never seem to understand that websites that poop and make fun of stuff are popular because they arent governed by PR firms that dictate what can and cant be said.
    I hadn't heard that, more's the pity.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    I wouldn't say NBC's purchase was directly responsible. They bought it about 7 years before it closed.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Incredible Member

You know I don't miss it much. I thought I would but Previously.TV has been a great place to discuss shows. The TWOP forums just became too snark filled for my tastes. I know that was a big part of the appeal of those forums but it gets annoying reading post after post from people who basically hate watch.
    Last edited by maczero; 09-08-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Spectacular Member The New Black's Avatar

Boo, didn't know it closed either. Haven't looked for the place in a while, but I'd been meaning to go back to check up on some newer shows. So much for that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I wouldn't say NBC's purchase was directly responsible. They bought it about 7 years before it closed.
    And they did try to change it through the years. Once they could'nt succeed in what they wanted to do they gave up on it.
    This was a huge site so im sure that they didnt try something withing weeks of purchase and since it didnt work they gave up.
    They obviously wanted to work with the brand and try to make something of it.