Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Will the Wells Run matter in five years?

All the talk about the Wells run on ASM has brought to mind one simple thought- this run isn't going to matter in 5 years. This isn't going to be an evergreen run that will always be reprinted in some form or fashion.

The MJ/Paul stuff will either get retconed or forgoten about all together from a plot standpoint.

Fantastic Member

Hell no, dude

Astonishing Member

No.

Kamala's fridging might be remembered the way Avengers 200 still is. Other than that, not really.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 07-10-2023 at 02:02 PM.

I hope not but if it keeps selling then probably.

It’s not over. Who knows?

But I don’t think we’ll be talking up how it can sit alongside classics like Kraven’s Last Hunt, if that’s what you mean.

Maybe a cautionary tale of fridging popular minority girls in the wrong character’s comic though.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Ah shit...feels bad man.

Article

"The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Mighty Member

Define "matters." I think it's safe to bet that most of the Wells status quo shake ups will be gone. Paul will be gone. MJ will be depowered. Felicia and Peter will be broken up. Kamala will be revived, etc. (The only thing that might stick is if Kamala is revived as a mutant.) But I think most of that is by Wells' own design. He doesn't seem to be creating much that's meant to have long term ramifications or consequences on the book past his run. That seems to be part of the BND approach.

Will the material we've seen so far be adapted in other media? Maybe if it's heavily reworked. Otherwise, nothing from the "What did Peter do?" saga really lends itself to the status quos of the MCU, Insomniac, or animation, etc. So unless he creates a concept (like Spider-verse or Superior) that's more intriguing for the remainder of his run, or a great new villain, I think we've got another largely forgettable run on our hands. The thing that people will probably remember the most is Kamala's death and likely not in a positive light.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 07-10-2023 at 02:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Honest question - how many runs actually have left any sort of lasting imprint in either the books or the reader's minds over the past three decades or so? JMS' and Slott's runs stick out. Someone mentioned Kraven's Last Hunt, but that was over 35 years ago. McFarlane's initial run on the title built for him springs to mind, but that was mostly for the art I think I can honestly say. I mean, sure, there's the Clone Saga, but that's for all the wrong reasons lol.

Although there was Carnage's introduction...
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    No.

Kamala's fridging might be remembered the way Avengers 200 still is. Other than that, not really.
    I really doubt that. Among other things it didn't reflect poorly on characters the way Avengers 200 did.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Define "matters." I think it's safe to bet that most of the Wells status quo shake ups will be gone. Paul will be gone. MJ will be depowered. Felicia and Peter will be broken up. Kamala will be revived, etc. (The only thing that might stick is if Kamala is revived as a mutant.) But I think most of that is by Wells' own design. He doesn't seem to be creating much that's meant to have long term ramifications or consequences on the book past his run. That seems to be part of the BND approach.

Will the material we've seen so far be adapted in other media? Maybe if it's heavily reworked. Otherwise, nothing from the "What did Peter do?" saga really lends itself to the status quos of the MCU, Insomniac, or animation, etc. So unless he creates a concept (like Spider-verse or Superior) that's more intriguing for the remainder of his run, or a great new villain, I think we've got another largely forgettable run on our hands. The thing that people will probably remember the most is Kamala's death and likely not in a positive light.
    I guess if they want to make another Spider Superhero team show they could make MJ Jackpot instead of making hre another Spider-Person if they're so inclined.

you hope it wont matter in 5 years OP but you have no idea what might remain or not.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I really doubt that. Among other things it didn't reflect poorly on characters the way Avengers 200 did.
    The point is that there's a good chance it's going to be remembered in a negative light, and also as a cautionary tale.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Honest question - how many runs actually have left any sort of lasting imprint in either the books or the reader's minds over the past three decades or so?
    If we go back exactly 30 years, then 1993 is the last "memorable year" of the 20th century. It's the year of Harry Osborn's death by JMD.

1994-1999 is pretty much treated like a void. Only a few key characters and concepts survive from then or are remembered (Ben Reilly, Kaine, Mayday, Norman coming back... that's about it).

2000-2007 is very memorable for a bunch of stuff (Bendis, JMS, Paul Jenkins' stuff, minis like Marvel Knights, Blue and To Have And To Hold).

Then after 2007, Bendis continues to be memorable with Ultimate and Miles Morales, while 616 Peter's comics stop except for a few instances (mostly Spider-Verse stuff).
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 07-10-2023 at 04:05 PM.

Well it depends how long Peter sleeps with Kamala’s mask I think
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

It depends on how they handle MJ and Paul's relationship since they've kept it very vague.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess if they want to make another Spider Superhero team show they could make MJ Jackpot instead of making hre another Spider-Person if they're so inclined.
    I could see MJ as Jackpot being adapted for an episode of a cartoon. But you know they aren't making no dead kids and Paul her origin story lol
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 07-10-2023 at 07:10 PM.