Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Mighty Member

But none of that is about the Video Game, which itself is a big deal. Gaming is something I've loved since before I can remember, and unlike Spider-Man and comics which were harder to get into, it's something I've followed my whole life. And this is a major intersection point, because Spider-Man 2 is held up as a gamer's game. People that don't care about Spider-Man still played Spider-Man 2, because it was this new unique experience that was high quality and fun in a wayu previous games hadn't been.For Spider-Man games as well, this definitely also feels like a turning point. The last game, despite being the first movie game, felt in a lot of ways like Spider-Man 3...er...well, the third game in the series that started with the Playstation Spider-Man. Similar in structure and design, it built off of those previous two games. SM2 feels like a total break though. A completely new system with a new focus and a new way to play. Once again, this is a game I had played before but not since it came out, similar to the movie. But it's a notable game. Most licensed games are really only looked at by fans of the license, but S-M2 was a game that brokethrough and was played by nearly everyone. It hit right in the middle of the first open world boom, when GTA clones were all the rage, and it just made a lot of sense for Spider-Man. I certainly enjoyed some of the 2-D games, but before it felt like there were games with Spider-Man in them, and this feels like a Spider-Man game. Similar to how Batman Arkham Asylum felt for the Dark Knight years later.

And for the most part it holds up. Everything has been overhauled, from the basic structure of the world to your fighting system. You're down to one dedicated attack button, something Bruce Campbell notes and mocks complainers for, but in combos the webbing, dodge, and jump buttons can all be used for combos Yes that dedicated doge button is a godsend, letting you use your spider-sense to avoid incoming attacks and counter. It feels pretty good, but I've definitely been spoiled by the wall crawlers more recent entries. They actually made the basic thugs a little too competent. They can block your attacks, which means you have to web them up first, ok, but then they can also dodge your webbing. So you're stuck getting shot at (I could disarm enemies some times but not always) until the one you're looking at attacks and you can dodge and counter. Structurally the game is very much focused on the open world aspect. The game is broken up into chapters, usually consisting of some event or events, like going to the bugle or meeting Aunt May at the Bank or going to see MJ's show, but along with that there is usually a requirement to buy some upgrade with hero points, and a requirement to get a certain amount of hero points. Now that's just XP and you get it by beating bad guys and completing side quests, it's just somewhat funny that they basically force you into their open world shenanigans. I guess the most recent game did that as well every once in a while, but they're far more blatant here. The chapters will walk you through the story of the game, with a few additions and subtractions. Felicia appears here, for instance, and gives a condensed version of her deal from teh comics. LIve it up as Spider-Man, forget being a civilian, but while she's "tempting" there's no relationship to be had here, we're busy pining after our engaged MJ. Rhino makes a quick appearance for a boss fight, Shocker is back because Shocker is just a good villain to fight, and Myusterio makes a rather lengthy appearance that culminates in a gag fight. Mysterio and Rhino, along with Doc Ock, of course, are pretty good boss fights, but I didnt' like both Shocker ones. After you hit him for a bit he gets a shield and then blasts a huge area around him, so you're forced to chase him down, hit him a few times, then run away an repeat the process. The second fight adds an additional shield you have to deactive using environmental consoles. Not great. To get those necessary hero points, you can stop random crimes or rescues that pop up as purple on your minimap, mini missions that start at a green ? mark, or do some side missions. Robbie wants photos for the bugle, MJ wants to go places with you (you are always missing her and have to race to reach the location in time), and Aziz needs those pizzas delivered now. There are also random challenges hiddent rhoughout the city, but I'm on a schedule and skipped almost all of these. I did do several of the MJ and Pizza missions, and they were ok but very tough.

Web swinging in Spider-Man 2 is hard to judge at this point. IT's good enough. Except for when you're trying to get across manhattan in less than a minute to meet MJ at the park, the little errors and weird decisions Peter makes when deciding where to shoot a web dont' mean much. You do have a great deal of control, able to swing faster or high or use a web zip for a little extra direction. It's all there and it all basically works, even with some weird things like this emphasis on a Jump meter. But you can also tell now that this was new. It really can't hold a candle to the Insomniac games or even Amazing Spider-Man from 2012(ish). But it's ok, it's good enough, and it's definitely overall the best Spider-Man game so far. It's also the start of the modern era of Spidey...well...the then modern era. After this game's success it deefinitely became the gold standard for what a spider-Man game should be, and for whatever reason a lot of its sucessors were seen as not good enough. Having played a lot of them in the past I suspect this is largely nostalgia. It's not that those games didn't meet this game's standards, it's just that, for its time Spider-Man 2 felt like a real advancement of the genre, and what came afterwards was a lot less innovative, so it just didn't compare as well. But we'll see what I think.

Next up: Ultimate Spider-Man (18 to go....)
    Last edited by Xenon; 08-10-2023 at 06:15 PM.

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post

Next up: Ultimate Spider-Man (18 to go....)
    I remembered when I was young, this game was displayed as the in the video game section in the mart. The older kids are having a blast playing the sample of this game.

I did get a chance to play it for a while; though, I was too young and wasn't able to figure out how to web swing around the city.

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Of course, we cannot forgot one of Spider-Man's most memorable games ever made......

The PC version of Spider-Man 2: The Game!

Mighty Member

woof, that one took some time thanks to GenCon and sickness (they go hand in hand). Time to do a little housekeeping on my project.

So I was a little hesistent to continue doing this after this week's ASM, but the reality is I'm too hyped for Spider-Man 2 to actually stop paying attention to Spider-Man media. And I'm coming to terms with the comic just being bad for a year and hopefully they'll just erase basically everything related to a certain character at that time (there's even a built in way to do it). So I'm actualy ok. This is the "real" Superior Spider-Man, or at least it's a bunch of different versions of interesting Spider-Man. The goal has been to complete every single Spider-Man game prior to the release of Spider-Man 2 on October 20th. That's 71 days from today. The list is as follows....

Ultimate Spider-Man
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance
    Battle for New York
    Spider-Man 3
    Friend of Foe
    Web of Shadows
    Ultimate Alliance 2
    Shattered Dimensions
    Edge of Time
    Amazing Sipder-Man
    Amazing Spider-Man 2
    Marvel's Spider-Man
    Marvel's Avengers
    Miles Morales
    Midnight Suns

But technically that's not everything. For one thing, there's the fighting games...

Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter
    Marvel v. Capcom
    Marvel v. Capcom 2
    Marvel v. Capcom 3
    Marvel v. Capcom Infinite

and then there's two games I didn't think of when I made the original list, the Lego Marvel Superheroes games.

Lego Marvel Superheroes
    Lego Marvel Superheroes 2

And technically ther's some spider-Man content for Disney Infinity, but I think that's not available?

Disney Inifnity.

Including EVERYTHING, that's 23 games remaining. Now, normally, that wouldn't be that big of a deal. Yeah that's a lot of games, but these are mostly not 60-hour RPGs. The fighting games will take me less than an hour each. The infinity content, if I could access it, is not going to be long. But I'm not JUST playing these games. That'd be crazy. I'm currently going through Front Mission 1st (There's a character named Paul that joins you. He was immediately benched and his mech was renamed Dumpster), and STARFIELD looms and will take a hundred gaming hours out of September. I'm also not sure I'll be able to access Avengers after September 30th? So that's kind of a deadline. I bring this up now because I have a big choice to make pretty soon when it comes to the Ultimate Alliance games. Next is Ultimate Spider-Man, but Ultimate Alliance is right after that. Now you CAN play as Spider-Man as part of your team for the whole game, but these games are long, i've played them before, and they AREN'T Spider-Man games. And they're kind of long. Would definitely save some serious time. Just have to decide if it'll bother me too much in my self-imposed rules, lol. Sort of the same deal with the Lego Marvel games. Only...I haven't played them before but am much more likely to skip them. They're some of the longest on the list and yet willbe the least Spider-Relevant along with being a game I've basically played before several times through other Lego games. But we'll see.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post

Of course, we cannot forgot one of Spider-Man's most memorable games ever made......

The PC version of Spider-Man 2: The Game!
    Whoa I hadn't seen that before I didn't realize they had butchered that version so bad.

Mighty Member

Ultimate Spider-Man
    Platforms: Playstation 2, Gamecube. Xbox
    Released: 9/22/2005
    Rating:7/10
    Notables: First appearance of Ultimate Universe, First significant appearance of Silver Sable?
    Thoughts: Sometimes I'm clever and realize i'm going to want to play a game someday before I'm ready to play that game. Such is the case with Ultimate Spider-Man. This is one I picked up years and years ago, exactly when I don't know, but I know the era would have been the late 00s. My Gamecube copy had a GameStop sticker on it listing the price as $5.99. A true steal considering its modern price, but what makes it interesting is that I must have had no intention of playing it when I bought it. I didn't start reading comics until 2010, but I always INTENDED to read comics. It was just a matter of getting the first issues. This eventually came about thanks to video games as well, actually, in 2010, thanks to a free trial of Marvel Unlimited, a service that isn't nearly as good as it should be but got the job done for starting me. While I read all of 616 Spider-Man over the next two years, I didn't read Ultimate Spider-Man until 2014. I had dropped the main comic after 700 because I wanted to read a Spider-Man comic not a Doc Ock comic, but a couple of years without had left me a little wanting, so I went back in and read through the Ultimate Spider-Man series. I'm really glad I read in that order, too, as I don't think I would have appreciated USM as much if I didn't have the references from 616 Spider-Man to compare them too. My only real complaints were the pace and Peter's death. Bendis' decompressed style meant that if I had had to read the comic as it was coming out I couldn't have done it. Each issue just doesn't contain enough story progress and the result is that over the course of the entire series, like twelve years worth of material, it feels like very little actually happened in all that time (in face in universe I think it's only like a year). Obviously it would be impossible, but that kind of pacing per issue you really need a Manga's weekly release to pull off. That said, being a little more experienced now, I will say Bendis pulls off the decompressed style better than some other writers because he provides details that add richness. Other decompressed stories can fall into traps where they think they're providing detail but are really are just spinning their wheels. Of course my other problem was the death, because it meant USM was over, and it was sad, and I don't like non happy endings. That said, Death of Spider-Man was so well handled (especially compared to the disaster that was 700) that I changed my mind and read the two years worth of Miles comics that existed at that time.

But I digress, this entry is about the game, Ultimate Spider-Man. In the past games have been loose adaptations of the 616 or in the case of the two movie games the movie universe. USM is trying to be quite a bit more faithful to the comic though. The cell-shaded art style does a good job of bringing Bagley's designs and art to life and the story is an adaptation of the Venom storyline from the comics, at least the latter portions. The game actually opens with a fight against Venom after Peter has discarded the suit. You then proceed through numerous levels where you will fight the Rhino, Electro, Beetle, Green Goblin, Silver Sable, Venom again, and Carnage. While I've read USM it was nearly ten years ago at this point and frankly I've forgotten so much I can't tell you how accurate we are here. And honestly I don't think the game does a great job telling its story. THe presentation is nice, with faux comic book panels and great graphics, and the game has more of an ending than I think any Spider-Man game has previously, but the structure and the jumpy nature of the story do it no favors. See the web swinging of Spider-Man 2 was very popular and successful, and it feels like it was crowbar'd into this game as a result. I said earlier you go through levels and you do, but in between you go through the city, both Manhattan and a part of Queens, in an open world. Across the map are various tokens to find, races to engage in, "fight tours", and random city events like car jackings, gang fights, and people in danger, just like in Spider-Man 2. But while Spider-Man 2 felt like the entire game had been designed around this open world, USM feels much more forced. Rather than just getting enough experience like the previous game, much of which was provided by the events the game would hand you, you intstead have several categories of city goals that you have to complete. You have to find a certain number of tokens, beat a certain number of fight tours and races, and clear a number of random events. IT feels forced and kind brings the game to a crawl, especially since the random events are kind of slow to spawn. Once this is completed, you'll get a marker to travel to, usually the Bugle or Peter's home, and then you'll be transported to the next level. While Spider-Man 2 certainly had somebespoke areas besides the cities, they always felt like they were in place in the city. When you went to face Mysterio's challenge you went to the stadium and went inside. HEre the bugle and home are basically unrelated to whatever you're doing. You'll go there, then their will be a cutscene setting up the next level, and then you're wherever that level requires. The cutscenes are kind of limited too. They clearly didn't want to model more characters than necessary. So while you go to the bugle you never go inside or see JJJ. At "home" Peter only ever talks to MJ no Aunt May or Gwen to be seen. It jus contributes to the kinda slapdash feel of the game, like they didn't quite have the budget they wanted.

But for all my complaints, I was loving USM for half the game. The game builds off of the web swinging from S-M2 and it's even better here. You have two attack buttons again ,but there's a purpose now as switching between punches and kicks increases damage. You still have your spider-sense but no dedicated dodge button just the Jump, though it generally works out, since if you jump you're going to dodge whatever they sent at you. It feels great to play and even thoguht the city is empty and the events slow to spawn, Adding to the game's charm is that you don't JUST play as Spider-Man. Bringing him back from Separation Anxiety, half the levels you'll actually be playing as Venom, and he isn't just a model swap. Instead of punches and kicks Venom has long range tentacle attacks. He can't web swing but gets this cool super jump that's a blast to spam. And of course being Venom he can absorb life energy from enemies and random civilians. It's legitimately a different expereicne, and it keeps the gameplay fresh an interesting, even though it does contribute to the structure feeling disjointed as mentioned before. I was enjoying it to the point where I thought Spider-Man 2 had been dethroned just one game later. But alas, it 'twas not to be. The game has a couple of fatal flaws that really hold it back. First and foremost being the Chase levels. They just suck. The first one isn't so bad, just have to stay close to Beetle as he flies around the city. But all the subsequent ones are just annoying. Venom has to chase Electro but Electro will stop every once ina while to do a huge electric burst. So you have to follow but not too close and with a pretty small margin for error. Missing one skyscraper jump is usually enough to end your try and send you back to the beginning. Spider-Man chasing the Green Goblin does the same thing though it's slightly less annoying since it's just fireballs, and the final chase with Venom dispenses with the attacks but is somehow just as frustrating because of the bursty nature of Venom's movement. These levels really took my enjoyment of the game down a lot, and it's a shame because without them it really was almost Spider-Man 2's equal. And while I'm complaining some of the boss fights really felt like they came down to luck. Some, like Rhino and Green Goblin, felt well designed and fun, but others it felt like I just didn't have enough tools to do much. Normal bad guys may block but you can web them up, but bosses just...are immune to that. So it just leaves me with nothing to do but wait for the boss to let me hit them. Again it feels like they just didn't have enough time, since some are so well designed.

Overall If you'r a fan of the Ultimate universe or Spider-Man USM is still a pretty top tier Spider-Man game. While this is mostly due to the others middling quality, it's still quite fun to play and a good time overall. I would recommend it for Spidey fans, though as a game it's just kind of middling.

Next Up: Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Mighty Member

Spider-Man: Battle for New York
    Platforms: Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS
    Released: November 21st, 2006
    Rating: 6/10
    Notables: Another Ultimate game, who knew?
    Thoughts: While as a child I was cut off from most information about the gaming world beyond what was I saw with my own two eyes, since the advent of the Internet I'd like to think I've been pretty on top of what was happening in the gaming world. But i had no idea this game existed until I saw it in the used game store. I didn't even notice it on the lists, sandwiched between Ultimate and S-M3. The world at large seems to have had the same reaction. There's nothing on GFAQs, Google comes up with almost nothing, and there are only a few videos. The game itself is pretty generic sounding, to the point that, when I started it up, I was surprised to find out that this is another Ultimate Spider-Man game. The only other one, unless you count Shattered Dimensions, which is kind of wild considering how popular USM was in the mid-00s. However, this one is quite a bit different from its console counterpart. This is a strictly level based 2.5D game that rips the models from the console game but uses them in a strictly 2-D plane. There are pretty extensive comic book style cutscenes, but unlike the console game these are not Bagley style but just generic Spider-Man. And weirdly old looking? Peter and Mary Jane are supposed to be high schoolers but they look the same as now basically, generic mid-20s or college students. If not for Fury and Green Goblin I wouldn't really know it was an Ultimate game. But Ultimate it is, as Green Goblin is his monstrous version from that universe. He also represents the other thing taken from its console counterpart, villain levels. Like in USM wher eyou played as Venom, here there are numerous Green Goblin stages, where stomp around the levels and throw fireballs. Again I'll praise the differentiation. Playing as Norman is completely different from playing as Peter. GG's playstyle involves a lot of grabbing and throwing the enemies, use of fireballs for long range damage, and basic smashing for melee. Peter has mostly useless webbing and can combo with both punches and kicks. Most importantly, he has a DODGE button, which saves the combat from being kind of bad. Just having a little bit of a defensive option allows them to make boss fights a little more interesting, and while basic combat got a little repetitive the boss fights remained fun throughout. Both GG and Spider-Man have a set of supermoves that are unlocked through the story, and each also has upgrades that will be given to you at set times throughout the story. These don't mean a lot, but you can choose what order to spend the points in, so you can prioritize health or damage but what you should prioritize is health and web effectiveness. In the end, however, you will upgrade everything to max. So...it doesn't men all that much. Boss wise we have Silver Sable, The kingpin, Green Goblin, and....a helicopter. That's pretty much it. All of the bosses are repeated for Green Goblin except, of course, for GG himself, but usually when we're that light on Villains Shocker gets a call to get beat up.

Green Goblin's levels involve going through a level and usually smashing something, not too complicated. Spider-Man, on the other hand, is often required to save civilians in various ways, and the timers on these can be brutal. most of mygame overs were from not knowing the best way to a civilian that was in danger. Or on one level not being able to find a terminal to turn off an alarm in time. These can be frustrating, but not nearly as much as the times you're required to web up doorways. See in various stages thir will be these door ways in the background that will infinitly spawn enemies. To disable them, you need to stand in front of them and do a DS drawing minigame where you fill in the gaps of a web. If you're hit, however, you have to start over, and since you have to stand in front of the generator to web them up, and the enemies spawn as soon as the previous one is defeated, the entire affair is an exercise in frustration. You need to slightly lure th enemy away (usually you don't have a lot of space), web them up, then get in place and web these things quick. Super annoying. Also this is kind of a minor nitpick but the ending is rather unsatisfying. There IS one, which is more than what a lot get, but eh, just not quite what I was hoping for. Overall while there are certainly some frustrations, this was not a bad time, just...not a great one either.

Next Up: Marvel Ultimate Alliance (for real this time) (18-20 to go....)

Ultimate Spider-Man
    Platforms: Playstation 2, Gamecube. Xbox
    Released: 9/22/2005
    Rating:7/10
    That's a lower score than I expect for this game.

As a fan of Treyarch's Spider-Man 3 I think you shouldn't play it (ps3, pc, xbox360), it's kinda lame the way I think, but people saying negative things about one of my favorites sadden me.

The PS2, PSP one seem to have aged more favorably with people and will probably be a less nauseating experience, so I recommend going with the 6th generation game for that one. If you would prefer a more coherent plot -albeit marginally- the PS2 is a more suitable choice than PS3 one.

PS2 also has fewer QTEs.

For Friend or Foe though, don't go PSP, it will be less charming than PS2 game.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Next Up: Marvel Ultimate Alliance (for real this time) (18-20 to go....)
    Play it on Wii with a nunchuck and know madness lmao

(great game)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    That's a lower score than I expect for this game.

As a fan of Treyarch's Spider-Man 3 I think you shouldn't play it (ps3, pc, xbox360), it's kinda lame the way I think, but people saying negative things about one of my favorites sadden me.

The PS2, PSP one seem to have aged more favorably with people and will probably be a less nauseating experience, so I recommend going with the 6th generation game for that one. If you would prefer a more coherent plot -albeit marginally- the PS2 is a more suitable choice than PS3 one.

PS2 also has fewer QTEs.

For Friend or Foe though, don't go PSP, it will be less charming than PS2 game.
    These are interesting comments. I didn't realize there were so many differences. I already have 360 versions of the games, as while I didn't have S-M3 or Friend or Foe until now, I have easy access to my 360 and I already had 4 other Spider-Man games for the system and figured I would get the "best" and by best I mean latest version.

As for USM, I'm a fairly harsh critic and believe in using the whole scale. Getting a 5 doesn't mean it's a trash game. It just means its mediocre. USM started as one of my faovrite yet. It FEELS great and for a time I thought we were going to go back to back new best game so far. But the back part of the game just kinda stretched the limits of the systems and I really did not like the last few chase stages. I still would recommend the game, especially to Spider-Man fans. AS for S-M3? We'll see. After the game boy one from the 90s this one is almost certainly going to compare favorably, lol.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Play it on Wii with a nunchuck and know madness lmao

(great game)
    I didn't realize they did anything weird with the controls in teh Wii version. But no, I've had this game for years so I'll stick to that one. I even still have my old saves lol.

These are interesting comments. I didn't realize there were so many differences. I already have 360 versions of the games, as while I didn't have S-M3 or Friend or Foe until now, I have easy access to my 360 and I already had 4 other Spider-Man games for the system and figured I would get the "best" and by best I mean latest version.

We'll see. After the game boy one from the 90s this one is almost certainly going to compare favorably, lol.
    Oh yeah, they are too completely different games.
    Let's hope your experience with it is better than that of Xavier Mendoza and -recently- Alex Webb, these two had zero joy and suffered with it.

Anyways, I'll have to pass a few tips to make the experience less painful:

1. Punch punch jump is a good way to tackle most enemies
    2. area) to fully upgrade health and reflexes. I can tell you based on experience it will come very handy. Prolonged swinging will help increase your swing speed.
    3. Harry's boss fight is two phases, take him to the subway and make him chase you there. Master the art of jumping on a train heading your way without getting hit, it will slowly but effectively help you win the fight. Tedium is safer than the alternative.
    4. Arsenic Candy mission one ends with a fallen chandelier. Charge punch and release on the notice word 'NOW'.
    5. Against Kingpin, focus on using strong attacks. Find a video on quick way to beat Kingpin.
    6. When in symbiote, go to the Bugle first. Upgrades are in specific order when in black suit. Brock's mission won't need an upgrade but will be very useful.
    7. Connors missions (final few missions after removing black suit) are not essential to finish the story.
    8. In select character menu the black suit is ng+ mode that skips the training missions.

Alternative tip(s):

Sell the game, skip playing it, spare yourself a lot of potential grief.

PPSSPP emulator can be played with PS4 controller, find proper bios and Spider-Man 3 rom. That game has its issues, but it's less grating according to most people sharing their experience. And I say that as someone who loves both 3D SM3 games.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE

And technically ther's some spider-Man content for Disney Infinity, but I think that's not available?

Disney Inifnity.
    Disney Infinity is still available on Steam/PC and Disney even went the extra mile to have everything unlocked in the games without requiring the toys (why can't Activision do the same with Skylanders...).

Mighty Member

Marvel Ultimate Alliance
    Platform: PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, DS? Like Everything
    Released: October 24th, 2006
    Rating: 8/5/10
    Notables: First Appearance of Spider-Girl? kinda?
    Thoughts: So I decided to Play Ultimate Alliance at least, we'll see about 2. 3 is a no go as my Nephews have my copy and frankly I didn't like it, which is a bit of a shame since I got to run mutiple Spider-people in that one. But that experience left me a little nervous about this one, which I remember loving but I hadn't played in 12 years. i know exactly when because when I loaded up the game my old saves were right there still transferred from a few xboxes ago. I started a new game but this still had benefits, since all the unlocked characters were still unocked...not that I used them but still. I knew almost immediately my party. I was running Spider-Man,, of course, but then the other main two were Ms. Marvel and Spider-Woman. When I played this game the first time I wnet through nearly everyone at one point or another. Captain America, Wolverine, Dr. Strange, Moon Knight, whatever. I tried them all out. By the end though i was rocking with both Ms. Marvel and Spider-Woman. Ms. Marvel has a great ability at level 20 but that one was mostly because I liked how she looked. This game is where I gained my mild fandom for both Carol and Jessica. Spider-Woman looked good but her usage was purely practical. Her venom blast, her first move, was a beam that when charged Pierced enemies, but was mostly just incredibly strong. It'd chunk out 10-20% of Bosses health with each hit, and since it was her first ability it was usable all game. She's probably the best character in teh game. Since I had played with her extensively before, this time she got to use a Spider-Girl costume the whole game instead of being Jessica. Peter got to rock the Scarlet Spider outfit for extra XP, but Warbird Ms. Marvel was always her best design, midriff baring classic be damned. For the fourth character I tried to use someone plot relevant to get extra dialogue. At least generally. When in doubt I used Captain America, Wolverine, or Daredevil for the last world.

And yeah this game is still a blast. Based on this playthrough and memory I think it's easily the best of the 3, or perhaps rather five games in this series. I got my start in this series in late high school when my buddy wanted to play through X-Men Legends. We played through both of those games co-op, and I got Ultimate Alliance but didn't play it for years because I was waiting for him. I eventually gave up and I was glad I did because it's a great game. It's a really good balance of RPG with Marvel universe, and the original storyline does a good job of giving you a tour of the Marvel U. Honestly Spider-Man gets a little neglected, there's no normal NY level or anything, but his Rogue's gallery is well represented. Scorpion, Mysterio, Rhino, Lizard, and Shocker all make appearances as bosses. This is a little more of a Spider-Man game than you'd tink While there are like twenty playable characters, most of the story cutscenes only feature a limited selection, with the main four being Spider-Man, Captain America, Wolverine, and Thor. So our boy gets his quips in. He's voiced in this game by a Quinton Flynn, most notable for his voicing of Raiden in teh Metal Gear Series, Axel from Kingdom Hearts, and Iruka from Naruto, though he's got a ton of credits to his name. It's not my favorite for the web-head, but this would be his only appearance as the character (though he did voice Venom in Friend of Foe). As a character Spider-Man is also pretty good. His first ability web bullets has high DPS and he can slow down time with Spider-Sense which is exactly as powerful as it seems. Everyone has the same basic combat moves for the most part, but Spidey gets to web swing as a mobility option, which is at least better than the double jumpers (though of course can't match up to the fliers).

I have very little bad to say about MUA. There are some glitches and you can get stuck on some levels and there are some weird missing characters from the base roster (no hulk?), though some of those got added as DLC or were part of the "gold edition" that I thought I bought years ago but apparently not. It'd have been nice to have even more differentiation of course but that's just wanted more not a deficit in the game itself. If you like action RPGs and haven't played MUA you should. It's great, and while I don't think the sequels quite live up to it, it's a great time and everyone should play it.

Next Up: Spider-Man 3 (

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Oh yeah, they are too completely different games.
    Let's hope your experience with it is better than that of Xavier Mendoza and -recently- Alex Webb, these two had zero joy and suffered with it.

Anyways, I'll have to pass a few tips to make the experience less painful:

1. Punch punch jump is a good way to tackle most enemies
    2. area) to fully upgrade health and reflexes. I can tell you based on experience it will come very handy. Prolonged swinging will help increase your swing speed.
    3. Harry's boss fight is two phases, take him to the subway and make him chase you there. Master the art of jumping on a train heading your way without getting hit, it will slowly but effectively help you win the fight. Tedium is safer than the alternative.
    4. Arsenic Candy mission one ends with a fallen chandelier. Charge punch and release on the notice word 'NOW'.
    5. Against Kingpin, focus on using strong attacks. Find a video on quick way to beat Kingpin.
    6. When in symbiote, go to the Bugle first. Upgrades are in specific order when in black suit. Brock's mission won't need an upgrade but will be very useful.
    7. Connors missions (final few missions after removing black suit) are not essential to finish the story.
    8. In select character menu the black suit is ng+ mode that skips the training missions.

Alternative tip(s):

Sell the game, skip playing it, spare yourself a lot of potential grief.

PPSSPP emulator can be played with PS4 controller, find proper bios and Spider-Man 3 rom. That game has its issues, but it's less grating according to most people sharing their experience. And I say that as someone who loves both 3D SM3 games.
    Well now you've made me nervous lol. Still, really, it can't be worse than some of the 2-D games I went through.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    Disney Infinity is still available on Steam/PC and Disney even went the extra mile to have everything unlocked in the games without requiring the toys (why can't Activision do the same with Skylanders...).
    Oh dear. and I bought the Lego Marvel games today ($15 for both plus Lego Avengers). My compulsion is going to get me in trouble.
    Last edited by Xenon; 09-10-2023 at 10:27 AM.

Next Up: Spider-Man 3

Well now you've made me nervous lol. Still, really, it can't be worse than some of the 2-D games I went through.
    Sorry about that.

In my experience it is a decent game that gave me countless hours of fun through the years, ranking the Treyarch games and the movie tie-in games bundle I easily rank it as better than both the first movie game and TASM2 (the latter is top notch in stealth takedowns, spider-sense, and costume variations and powers), but the numerous negative reviews for SM3 (some make plenty of positive remarks, and some pick on it for aspects I find common in other games) make me anxious.

At the same time, it seems kinda reasonable to recommend skipping it in case the blur effect, shaky camera, and inconsistent framerate might leave you feeling uncomfortable.

When it comes to sidescrollers though, Web of Shadows for the NDS is recommended. Combat and swinging are a lot of fun, score (music) is really nice at points, and stylus usage is simple and pleasant, doesn't hurt the fingers nearly anywhere like Shattered Dimensions does.

Web of Shadows on the PSP isn't bad either, it's dumb and confusing sidescroller when it comes to plot choices, but it can be a pleasant time from gameplay side of things
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE