Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default World's Finest: Teen Titans #1 Discussion/Spoilers

After the obvious success of Mark Waid's World's Finest, it was only logical for DC to try to expand upon the idea of the early adventures of their superheroes and, considering how prominent Robin was in that book, the Teen Titans receiving the spinoff was also the right choice and fortunately Waid continues to bring his A game here.

I was a bit anxious at hearing about Waid writing these characters at first though since he doesn't have the best track record with young superheroes and is not like Dick Grayson was particularly well-written in World's Finest. However, Waid demonstrates a great handle at the whole cast here, particularly because of the different personalities that appear in the book.

Is great to see how the most responsible Robin has to deal with a Speedy who is just crying for attention and is willing to do everything to get it, and is especially great once that the writer explores why someone like Roy Harper has such need due to the constant absence of Oliver Queen in his life which works in multiple levels due that it connects to the stories where Roy becomes an addict due to the lack of attention from his father figure and even the fights that he has with Dick bring back memories of their time in the Outsiders (which is easily the best dynamic they ever had).

The plot itself doesn't progress much but the writer does a good job at setting-up these characters for what's coming in the future including the conflict that Batman forces on the group and the arrival of a new antagonist.

Emanuela Luppachino does a great job at recreating the tone that Dan Mora established in the main book thanks to her beautiful characters and clean style.

Solid beginning, needed more plot as a whole but it definitely does a better job at making you invested into this than something like Tom Taylor's Titans (which is kinda sad now that I think about it).

lol Tom Taylor lives rent-free in y'all heads.

Anyways, i really like it, it's all i wanted from the book.
    Last edited by Drako; 07-11-2023 at 10:36 AM.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Eh, just making a comparison to the other recent team book with the exact same characters.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Thanks for creating this thread, Rakzo!

I just finished reading the first issue and I thought it was great. I had high expectations as a Titans fan, a Mark Waid fan and a World's Finest fan, and I'm happy to say I wasn't disappointed. Waid blends action and character moments very nicely here, setting up a fun take on the various relationships with the social media spin.

And I wonder who that is on the last page...

Anyways, i really like it, it's all i wanted from it.
    Tom Taylor, Tom King and Michael Bendis live rent-free in so many comic readers' minds. If you don't like work by certain writers/artists, etc then just don't buy their work. Move on with your life. You will be fine if you skip the current Titans series. But buying it and constantly complaining about it just doesn't make sense to me. For example when it started I loved the Krakoan era of the X-Men titles. At this point I'm over all of it so I've dropped all of the X titles for now. Life is too short to spend time complaining about entertainment that isn't entertaining to you. Trust me there are so many great comics out their to buy and read.

This was rad. Even before Worlds Finest i think a lot of us figured these characters were right in Waid's wheel house, and he's not proving us wrong.

Anyways, i really like it, it's all i wanted from the book.
    Too true lol.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-12-2023 at 03:19 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I absolutely LOVE this book! It's everything I hoped for in a Titans book. The character moments are great, the art matches the era of continuity, & it features Wonder Girl, Bumblebee, & Golden Eagle who are 3 of my favorites!
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Love that they worked Bumblebee’s animated costume as her casual wear.

Spectacular Member

The Teen Titans. It's the Teen Titans.
    But it still has Bat-Jerk, and Robin is affected.
    And the Titans are a group of friends, they don't have a "leader."
    And any attempt to fit this, like World's Finest Comics with Superman and Batman, into regular continuity will hurt your head.
    But it's the Teen Titans. I'm happy.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    After the obvious success of Mark Waid's World's Finest, it was only logical for DC to try to expand upon the idea of the early adventures of their superheroes and, considering how prominent Robin was in that book, the Teen Titans receiving the spinoff was also the right choice and fortunately Waid continues to bring his A game here.

I was a bit anxious at hearing about Waid writing these characters at first though since he doesn't have the best track record with young superheroes and is not like Dick Grayson was particularly well-written in World's Finest. However, Waid demonstrates a great handle at the whole cast here, particularly because of the different personalities that appear in the book.

Is great to see how the most responsible Robin has to deal with a Speedy who is just crying for attention and is willing to do everything to get it, and is especially great once that the writer explores why someone like Roy Harper has such need due to the constant absence of Oliver Queen in his life which works in multiple levels due that it connects to the stories where Roy becomes an addict due to the lack of attention from his father figure and even the fights that he has with Dick bring back memories of their time in the Outsiders (which is easily the best dynamic they ever had).

The plot itself doesn't progress much but the writer does a good job at setting-up these characters for what's coming in the future including the conflict that Batman forces on the group and the arrival of a new antagonist.

Emanuela Luppachino does a great job at recreating the tone that Dan Mora established in the main book thanks to her beautiful characters and clean style.

Solid beginning, needed more plot as a whole but it definitely does a better job at making you invested into this than something like Tom Taylor's Titans (which is kinda sad now that I think about it).
    Gotta disagree with a couple points. First and foremost, Dick Grayson was written phenomenally in Worlds Finest. Probably one of his best showings as Robin.

Also think Taylor's Titans has had a good start.

Astonishing Member

I enjoyed this book...the art and story. It was a pleasant surprise. I don't enjoy many comics anymore.

From the lightning bolt, I suspect Loren Jupiter is behind 'building a better Titans team'. Poor Hi Lo. I am glad Titans will get their own teen villain team! (Should have happened decades ago.)

Glad for Charley Parker and his new job. He's useful and happy. Perhaps a new Golden Eagle will make a debut someday.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Love that they worked Bumblebee’s animated costume as her casual wear.
    Mabey she should appear in Cyborg, since that so influence by the animated series as well.

Fantastic Member

Looking forward to checking this out. I recently caught up on Mark Waid's World's Finest and I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a DC comic as much

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Gotta disagree with a couple points. First and foremost, Dick Grayson was written phenomenally in Worlds Finest. Probably one of his best showings as Robin.

Also think Taylor's Titans has had a good start.
    Yeah, I loved Dick in Worlds Finest and I've been enjoying Taylor's Titans so far as well.

As for this book?

It started out incredibly strong with a great retro feel as the Titans took down a kidnapping cult ( Kid Flash's, "Not Today Satanists!" was perfect) with a great mix of action, character introductions, humor and drama. I really loved how Waid took the time to not only show us how the Titans interact with each other but how they interact with their mentors and how those mentors react to them forming their own team; it really solidified the idea that yes these are side kicks but that they are also their own people all while showcasing how their mentors are different and how that effects them. But, where the comic starts to stumble is when Waid introduced the “modern” aspect to it. While teen drama is an important part of the the Titans the friction introduced to the team here between Robin and Speedy about the team's social media presence just had me rolling my eyes a bit. I mean, yeah if teens got together today to make a super hero team it probably would be on tik tok...but I don't really want to read about that. That aspect aside it was a strong start and I'm excited to see how the team starts to mesh together.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

It overrides previous versions.