Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Default Why is the only WW title being populated by batman and superman?

The upcoming run seems to be taking a route that already looks ugly. the bm and sm lore being at the center of the WW book, when Diana only has one book. Then in the rest of titles she appears in, she also has to play second field to bm and sm. Just like in all the movies. So why can' t she have her solo title at least focused on her lore 100%?

King conceived his original character, Lizzie/Trinity, in relation to John Kent and Damien Wayne so it seems likely the portions of his run dealing with Lizzie in the future will also feature them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    King conceived his original character, Lizzie/Trinity, in relation to John Kent and Damien Wayne so it seems likely the portions of his run dealing with Lizzie in the future will also feature them.
    The problem with that is I'm not reading Wonder Woman for Jon or Damien or even Lizzie at this point. It seems like a lot of stuff I don't care about will be unnecessarily effecting this title.

Astonishing Member

I can understand writers wanting to create new characters, but I agree that Jon and Damien are not characters I want to see in Wonder Woman. I don't see how bringing in Lizze is going to strengthen the book.

We don't need the Trinity or the presence of Superman or Batman in the WW comic, specifically, ..to make WW more popular or accessible. Mike, Becky and Tom aren't the first writers to bring in 'the Boys' for a heart-tugging story. We need some good stories and interesting, universally appealing characters that current and new readers can get excited about seeing more of ..and will emotionally invest in (give a Ratatosk's bumhair about).

Maybe, the six-four issue story, with DOCTOR CYBER, Janus or Clea attacking the DCU - beating the crap outta' the entire Justice League, leaving Man's World a smoking ruin - has to happen in the pages of WW, before it crosses over. Maybe, that story, showing the united Wonder Woman Family fighting side by side with popular, non-Wonder superheroes ..against a universally appealing, genre-crossing Wonder-villain, ..needs to start in the pages of WW, crossover into JL, Batman and Superman and wrap back in WW ..to make the most of bringing Bats and Blue into WW, at all.

For all the walk-ons by JLers and Diana's Trinity pals, over the years, I think the WW comic should have considerably more to show for them. Does anybody remember "For The Man Who Has Everything?" It's a comic (and not just a DC Comics) book industry CLASSIC! Do you know what kind of creative, editorial and commercial forces have to align in some twenty-two or so (back when) pages ..to make that happen? With all of the clunky pop-ins from Superman in the WW comic, over the years, ..can we name ONE industry classic on that level or any level, among our [Koff, koff] favorite Wonder Woman comics? With Jimenez, Byrne, Perez, Azzarello, Loeb, Thomas writing? Since World War II? [Seriously? Since freaking World War II?]

Can't name one. That's pretty sad.

Maybe, Batman's next appearance in WW, should see Giganta biting off and eating Batman's arms, picking her teeth with Lois Lane - that'll get some industry attention. And to answer the OP's query...I think Superman and Batman are being plugged into WW stories, to invite comic fans to care about WW, in the way fans outside of our community care about Big Blue and Bats (in ANY form, Jon, Damien, whatever)! Ultimately, they're here to sell MORE WW comics.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-19-2023 at 05:52 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I don’t particularly need them there, but I’m in wait and see mode to see how/if they’re used to center Lizzie and Diana in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I don’t particularly need them there, but I’m in wait and see mode to see how/if they’re used to center Lizzie and Diana in the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Do you feel a little like positioning Trinity with the future Batman and Superman works like a do-over or recovery from what stories failed to accomplish with the establishment of Yara Flor? Either way, after this passing run, ..I want to see more done with the Wonder Woman Family.

I want to see Etta reunited with her family, the fightin' Candyes.

I want more Force ghost Hippolyta and, after Tom's arc finishes, a limited interaction with the Amazons, ..mitigated by two monthly WW comics. Perhaps, a 'Nubia And The Amazons' title could pickup and continue the focus on Amazons and a heavy fantasy genre presence.

There should be enough going on with the Wonders, such that there's no need or room for WW's Trinity brothers.

I want to see Siggy and Gundra reunited, with some accounting for her support of the Nazis and how Siggy felt about it - maybe, Siggy supported the German resistance underground.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Do you feel a little like positioning Trinity with the future Batman and Superman works like a do-over or recovery from what stories failed to accomplish with the establishment of Yara Flor? Either way, after this passing run, ..I want to see more done with the Wonder Woman Family.

I want to see Etta reunited with her family, the fightin' Candyes.

I want more Force ghost Hippolyta and, after Tom's arc finishes, a limited interaction with the Amazons, ..mitigated by two monthly WW comics. Perhaps, a 'Nubia And The Amazons' title could pickup and continue the focus on Amazons and a heavy fantasy genre presence.

There should be enough going on with the Wonders, such that there's no need or room for WW's Trinity brothers.

I want to see Siggy and Gundra reunited, with some accounting for her support of the Nazis and how Siggy felt about it - maybe, Siggy supported the German resistance underground.
    I mean, that could be part of it with Yara, but I have no way of knowing. I do enjoy Yara though.

Donna is over in Titans so, it’ll be interesting to see how this affects her. Tom and Tom seem to have a simpatico together, so maybe Taylor will briefly touch on it, but I don’t necessarily expect it to take over the Titans book right away. (It’d be good to see the Titans stand up for Donna and Diana though.)

I’m with you on wanting to see some of the classic elements of the Wonder mythos intensified: Etta and some form of the Holliday Girls, Steve and the Wonder family.

I don’t mind the Damian and Jon interactions with Lizzie as I like all the characters and seeing how their personalities and relationships develop.

With Amazons Attack and the regular Wonder Woman title, I’m in wait and see mode until I read it. There’s not way to know what (if any) role the other Wonders will play in the various series, how else they might crossover and what else might come out of it with this new status quo for Diana.

I like thinking about the creative possibilities and limitations as much as the next person, but I don’t want to spend the energy being antagonistic to Tom, Tom, Nicola, Daniel and other creators about stories that haven’t been told and that I haven’t read yet. Just the spot I’m in with my attitude and energy, in general.

That all said, I hope this run strengthens Diana’s status in the DCU and it affords more interactions and titles including Diana, Donna, Hippolyta, Artemis, Cassie, Steve, Etta, Ferdinand, Siggy, Nubia, Philippus, Io, Warkiller and some other characters that I think should be front and center in the Wonder family and ongoing supporting characters.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Wish the thread title didn't make it sound like Tom King is going to use Bruce and Clark in the Diana stories.
    "Cable was right!"