Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: why movies bomb

Mighty Member

Default why movies bomb

So, it was recently revealed that Hugh Jackman's return in DP 3 would feature the classic yellow costume featured in the cartoon. Which is cool...but isn't it better as a moviegoer to be surprised when watching the movies? And yet studio heads act surprised when X movie fails. Really they do it to themselves. From the supposed "leaks" on social media to "accidentally" let slipping in interviews also. They're just so brazen and open about what they're spoiling. I mean TMNT 1990 people that went to see the movie were either fans of the comic/cartoon show or casually aware of those and were surprised at a dark gritty movie and it was a massive hit without dumb spoilers. Seems like, and not all the time, the tighter lipped that the creatives are about a certain movie (looking at you, Oppenheimer) more often than not you have more successes than failures. Also, when marketing tries to push a movie as "THE BEST MOVIE EVER" with a stacked cast and that ends up flopping too. I mean, by the time the movie comes out so much info has already been given from which actors are appearing to plot and character details it becomes "why should one even bother?" And also trailers giving THE ENTIRE PLOT of a movie in 2 minutes is really dumb marketing. I say if you want to build hype for a movie a 30 second or 1 minute teaser is sufficient. That's the definition of a tease to give you a little bit of info, but still keep it mysterious and if you want to see more, buy a ticket. So, basically it's not the creatives but social media and stupid marketing that are to blame.
    Last edited by CTTT; 07-12-2023 at 10:26 PM.

Astonishing Member

A trailer that shows too much makes the movie less interesting. A bad trailer can do damage, too.

I avoid everything Barbie at the moment, and will go in without much information. I want to be totally surprised what it is about.

You have valid points, but there is more to it.

Why movies bomb?

Years ago, I watched a film called John Carter and have enjoyed it. I liked the story, the characters and special effects. But it bombed at the box office. It is one of the biggest box-office bombs of all time. Why did it bomb?

Because of its bloated budget, bad marketing campaign and negative buzz/bad mouthed criticism from the moviegoers who reviewed it and published their reviews on the media.

John Carter film cost $263.7 million to produce. It lost a considerable amount of money due to its cost. Disney claimed the film's production budget was $250 million, although tax returns released in 2014 revealed its exact budget was $263.7 million after taking tax credits into account.

It had one of the worst marketing campaigns in Hollywood, thanks to the Disney management team. People, upon hearing about the film in the media and seeing the trailer, "asked What the hell is John Carter?" Although it was a popular franchise back in its time, not many young people today have heard of it. They also made the mistake of omitting "Mars" and "Princess" from the title, leaving the moviegoers to wonder what the film is about.

Some of the critics who watched the film have compared it to Star Wars and Avatar, both of which were actually predated and influenced by John Carter.

Astonishing Member

Sometimes the story line is just too stupid to watch along with being boring. Look at Independence Day - a story that kept your interest. The sequel - the plot was stupid and the action stupid.

While marketing can definitely affect how successful a film is, none of the examples you gave really showcase that point. Showing Jackman in the yellow costume is actually a good marketing point, as it gets people even more hyped to see the film and it in action. Oppenheimer is a true story so there's nothing to really hide. We know what happens because, well , it already happened in reality. Not to mention, it's ticket sales were actually tracking low which contradicts your assessment.

I think the current set up with streaming make some movies fail. Why see and MCU movie or Disney movie when you know it is going to be on Disney + in just a couple of months. for me it is worth waiting a little longer to have a more relaxing time at home. No large crowds Dont have to pay the 15 buck movie ticket. Dont have to spend 30 bucks on snacks.

Watching at home I can have a nice meal, some candy I got from the store at a cheaper price a bag of micowave popcorn.

I think if Disney+ didnt put things on there so fast people would be more willing to see it at the movies.
    Last edited by babyblob; 07-13-2023 at 05:20 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Bad Marketing as well. That Disney Movie Strange World from Disney. I didnt even know it was out until I heard the stories of it bombing. It was a cute movie and I would have seen it in the movies.

Bad plots are also one reason (Im looking at you Indy Jones)
    Last edited by babyblob; 07-13-2023 at 05:20 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I think the current set up with streaming make some movies fail. Why see and MCU movie or Disney movie when you know it is going to be on Disney + in just a couple of months. for me it is worth waiting a little longer to have a more relaxing time at home. No large crowds Dont have to pay the 15 buck movie ticket. Dont have to spend 30 bucks on snacks.

Watching at home I can have a nice meal, some candy I got from the store at a cheaper price a bad of micowave popcorn.

I think if Disney+ didnt put things on there so fast people would be more willing to see it at the movies.
    Exactly. For instance, with the Flash bombing, it's estimated to hit streaming by possibly August or September. So why bother going to the theater? But even Spiderverse won't be long enough before streaming for me to bother with the theater.

Judging movies (or people who only selectively judge the movies they don't like) by pre-Covid, pre-streaming standards) is pointless now.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Exactly. For instance, with the Flash bombing, it's estimated to hit streaming by possibly August or September. So why bother going to the theater? But even Spiderverse won't be long enough before streaming for me to bother with the theater.
    The Flash is available next week July 18. What a joke. Transformers was available July 11. People/families are waiting and saving their money with options this fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    The Flash is available next week July 18. What a joke. Transformers was available July 11. People/families are waiting and saving their money with options this fast.
    Yes. Flash is available on Blue Ray/ DVD on the 18th. Estimates are it will go on HBO-Max streaming possibly next month.
    Power with Girl is better.

Bad marketing, bad plot, bad acting, bad movie direction, and bad word of mouth can affect the box office potential of a film.

However, the main reason why Flash bombed is due to the negative publicity around Ezra Miller. From what I heard, some fans and moviegoers, upon learning of Ezra's crass behaviour, vowed to boycott the Flash film. I have not watched the film but am told that some people praise Ezra's excellent and stellar performance, playing the dual role of Barry Allen and his evil alternate doppelganger.

Incredible Member

With the internet it really is unavoidable resisting the urge for any wannabe film reviewer to spoil every nuance of a movie, I remember having read the comic book adaptation to Batman Forever before seeing the movie only to be underwhelmed as I was already spoiled by having read the comic first.

Retired

Here's an idea--put out the trailer the week before the movie. It always seems that we get so excited for a movie months even years before it actually comes out--we want to see it now! Then as time goes by all that excitement dissipates and there's no big urge to run out and see it. If everyone who said they absolutely had to see THE FLASH--after the first trailer dropped--had actually gone on the opening weekend, it likely would have had a much bigger showing at the box office.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Here's an idea--put out the trailer the week before the movie. It always seems that we get so excited for a movie months even years before it actually comes out--we want to see it now! Then as time goes by all that excitement dissipates and there's no big urge to run out and see it. If everyone who said they absolutely had to see THE FLASH--after the first trailer dropped--had actually gone on the opening weekend, it likely would have had a much bigger showing at the box office.
    That's actually not a bad idea. Makes sense to me. The theory that releasing a teaser a year before the movie then a full trailer a few months before the movie can kill the BO because people can't be that patient.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    You can't.

That will get you a box office bomb way faster than a toxic actor in a movie.

Lets take Flash. It comes out June 2023. What big tv event could DC air that trailer? PGA Golf Tournament? Because that was the biggest thing happening at the time. NBA Finals was over.
    Nothing is bigger than the Superbowl.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem is doing ads and trailer now. If they waited till week of August 2nd-kids are slowly going back to school. Wal-Mart is already getting screwed because they are putting out toys one day before the movie comes out and everyone else already have them out.

You have to let folks know about these movies-because those trailers help pre-ticket sales. Some folks are not going to blindly buy a ticket to some films.

And yet studio heads act surprised when X movie fails. Really they do it to themselves.
    Not all the time.

If I make a Static movie and toxic part of the fandom attacks it with fake reviews and so on like they have tried with so many. How is that the studio's fault? Disney didn't expect folks to focus on the gay black son in Strange World like Yahoo writer did. When his sexuality had nothing to do with the plot.
    Same with TMNTMM-we all KNOW those folks will come after the black April O'Neil.
    We saw it with Black Adam-folks WANTING it to fail. But will be the first to holler if all we get is Batman movies from Gunn. It's okay to not like the movie but throwing fits about it existing is another.

Bad Marketing as well.
    Depending on the film in question-the marketing is NOT done by the same folks who made the film.

That is how you get Star Trek Generations trailer with footage from Star Trek 3.
    Star Trek First Contact with footage from Generations (at least the ones those folks who show trailers for surveys in the mall).

Some of the time they get stuff early on before any cutting happens.
    The Faculty movie trailers had a ton of footage that got cut (mainly of Usher and Quincy Jones's daughter) and print ads that included Usher with the cast.

And yes you will get trailers that promote one thing and the movie is NOT about that. See Whose Your Caddy. That implied all the white folks in the film were racists but in the actual film they were not. They all got along.