Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Default If you were the "Kevin Feige" of Sony, what Spider-Man films would you pitch?

We were talking about this in another thread. It's a pretty simple concept, if you were Sony's equivalent of Kevin Feige, what Spider-Man films and spin-offs would you pitch? These were the ones I knew I would pitch if it were me.

The Wedding/Kraven's Last Hunt animated movie
    Mayday Parker: Spider-Girl spin off
    Spider-Man 2099 spin off
    Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider spin off
    SP//DR spin off
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

A Spectacular Spider-Man revival, in whatever format they're legally allowed. A series of 60 minute direct-to-video/streaming movies?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    A Spectacular Spider-Man revival, in whatever format they're legally allowed. A series of 60 minute direct-to-video/streaming movies?
    That sounds like it could work. I don't know the ins and outs of the legal situation at Sony but I am pretty sure if Sony were to go ahead with a revival, it would be something like this. I think it would either be that or they would give them a limited release in theaters and then stream them/release them on DVD/Blu-Ray/4K HD.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    We were talking about this in another thread. It's a pretty simple concept, if you were Sony's equivalent of Kevin Feige, what Spider-Man films and spin-offs would you pitch? These were the ones I knew I would pitch if it were me.

The Wedding/Kraven's Last Hunt animated movie
    Mayday Parker: Spider-Girl spin off
    Spider-Man 2099 spin off
    Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider spin off
    SP//DR spin off
    What about Spider-Man versus Juggernaut for an action packed story?

They're currently working on Venom 3. I would pitch a new Spider-Man trilogy that includes the Alien Costume Saga.
    Spider-Man 4 would have a crime war and the alien costume. The Black Cat makes sense. I like the idea of casting Anja Taylor Joy. Potential guest starr- Human Torch
    Spider-Man 5 would have Venom in the MCU. He goes after Ned & MJ who don't know what's going on. Potential guest starr- The Fantastic Four
    This could be subject to change, but a potential narrative for Spider-Man 6 would be the formation of the Sinister Six, as they kind of form a supervillain version of the Avengers. Potential guest starrs- Whatever Avengers actors have time in their schedule.
    It could also make sense to adapt Spider Island as a way to introduce the MCU Miles Morales.

Knull, the God of the symbiotes make sense as the next villain in Venom, where it would make sense to adapt the Donny Cates/ Ryan Stegman run. Whether it'll be one film or two would be up to the directors.

Morbius was enough of a flop that there's no reason for any follow-up. Spider-Woman and Kraven will depend on box office.

Other potential projects...
    Hobgoblin- Standalone film in the Raimiverse from the perspective of a businessman who finds Norman Osborn's gear and decides to wipe out his political rivals.

Frankly, I think Sony needs to do something similar to what James Gunn is doing with the DC films in terms of dumping the dead weight and getting more intentional with brands.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    What about Spider-Man versus Juggernaut for an action packed story?
    I think Disney holds the rights to the Juggernaut.

I'd totally do MC2 and Spider-Girl.

Astonishing Member

I think Sony's biggest problem is that there isn't enough time to wait until they can make another Spider-Man film. And because there isn't much time, they're stuck shadowboxing all the previous movies, especially Raimi's.

That's why Spidey has yet to have a "Nolan franchise" that succeeds the previous Raimi franchise the way Nolan succeeded Burton. (Unless you count the aninated films, but they're doing a different thing.)

So my first priority would be to figure out if there's any way we can "pause" to let the audiences breathe a bit, and to make sure the next live-action Spider-Man isn't shadowboxing anything. I don't care how I achieve that. Honestly, I might even be okay with putting out more "meh" spinoffs like Morbius and Kraven if it means Sony will give me more time on the next movie.

Anyways, once that's out of the way and the "time has come" for a new Spider-Man film... this is the most controversial part, but I would reboot again. I give NWH props for listening to fan complaints, and for doing their best to make their Spider-Man less Iron Man-connected... but I still think the current version is built on a weak foundation. I think a Spidey without Uncle Ben and other key characters (Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Flash as we know him, etc.) isn't built to last long-term. If MCU Spidey lasts longer than 10 years, I think they'll eventually have soft-reboot him. It will reach a point where they'll have to say Uncle Ben was always there, and where MJ not being as charismatic as Zendaya in real life will get stale, etc.

So to avoid that right off the bat, I would reboot right away. I would argue the hype around Superman Legacy shows audiences can welcome a reboot while the "current" version is still fresh. Lots of people loved Cavill and the better DCEU films (Shazam, Suicide Squad, etc.), and are sad to see that go away. But the hostility isn't as strong as it was when Raimi's Spider-Man was scrapped overnight in 2010.

Of course, part of why the hate for the new DCU isn't as bad is cuz James Gunn's name is attached to it. If I'm "just a guy" that Sony hired, I probably don't have enough good will for people to trust me with a reboot in the same way.

Aa for what I would do, I would start with Teacher Peter and Morlun, just because I feel it's about time. The sequels can introduce Miles and other Spider-Heroes. Those heroes can be spun off into their own solo franchises.

Starting with Peter's second film, I probably want ensemble villains. The Sinister Six seems like a good choice, although mine would be fully established. Ock would be the leader, and would be a sadistic gangster like in Lee/Ditko to distinguish him from Molina. The third film would bring the Green Goblin back from the dead (he would have "died" prior to the first film), but as a sane mastermind without a split personality (like in Lee/Ditko) to distinguish him from Dafoe. The Goblin story in particular would be full of political metaphors about the rich and the working-class.

Also, if possible, I would still include the rebooted Peter in the MCU, but would draw the line if it compromises his personality and story. But I would try for it to not get to that point.

This is all off the top of my head. There are things I didn't address, like that I would have Peter and MJ married, and Aunt May knowing/finding out, and Peter having Mayday already by the time Norman shows up again.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 07-13-2023 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    I think Disney holds the rights to the Juggernaut.
    Replace Juggernaut with Rhino and I think the adaption could still work.

In addition to the few that were mentioned, I'd also like to see a Slingers team movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

In addition to the few that were mentioned, I'd also like to see a Slingers team movie.
    Oh yeah, that would totally work! Good idea! Also, I LOVE the Slingers. Huge Slingers fan. Would totally go see a Slingers movie a million times over.

Mighty Member

I don't think it would be smart to hard reboot the Holland MCU films at this point in time. The DCEU can do this because they've had a string of several mediocre to poorly received films. But the Holland films have been generally well-received and NWH was a high note for that iteration. There's too much good will and interest right now to tank it.

Instead, I would try to soft reboot the Holland films moving forward (NWH already sort of allows for this.) I'd keep the principal cast of Holland and Zendaya. Peter would be in college and Aunt May would be deceased. Zendaya would play a full-fledged Mary Jane Watson instead of Michelle Jones Watson. (I wouldn't even bother explaining the change. Just ignore it.) And I'd re-introduce familiar faces like the Bugle cast, Harry, Gwen, etc. I would also save Miles Morales for the MCU, and find a way to integrate that character similar to the Insomniac games. I think it's feasible for a Miles to lead the next generation of MCU Spider-Man films. If Holland ever decides to leave, this would save them from doing another hard reboot.

In terms of non-MCU stuff, I like the idea of venturing into more animated films. Either direct adaptations of comics, a continuation of Spectactular, or more Spider-Verse spin-offs (I'd love one with the Parker family.)

I'd also do a series of live action films based on MC2 Spider-girl (either as a direct continuation of the Raimiverse or as its own thing) and Spider-man 2099. These two seem like the most obvious and marketable choices for alternate Spider characters (aside from Miles.) With Spider-girl you can market to the nostalgia for the Raimi movies as well as the movie being a quasi-continuation of NWH and having a female led spider-variant. With 2099, there's the novelty of having Spidey in a futuristic environment.

I also agree that they should figure out a way to slow the pace in which they have to put out new content so they can focus on quality over quantity.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 07-13-2023 at 01:13 PM.

Spiderman: Miles Morales and i would use the script from the current run, adapted of course. But this run could easily translate to a hit movie or animation if the same style the book has is used. Easily.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member

Spider-Man: Growing Pains (sequel to NWH, collaboration with Marvel Entertainment, featuring Hobgoblin emerging as a recurring MCU villain and a Black Suit arc.)

MCU Peter’s next chapter in several ways; his initial conundrums are just the stressful, exhausting and demeaning new status quo he has trying to live and protect New York by himself, reduced to paying his rent with Daily Bugle picture money when he really hates Jameson’s exploitive and fear-mongering coverage of him. Then, Kingpin uses Chameleon to start framing him for crimes and manipulates Jameson into backing the Spider-Slayer project with the point-man being ex-SHIELD (and actually ex-Hydra) bruiser Jason Macendale. And all this time, he’s been trying to treat his loneliness by becoming a regular at MJ’s coffee shop so he can see and talk to her “without getting too close”, which raises MJ’s suspicions and left over paranoia about waking up on Liberty Island knowing Spider-Man was fighting to protect her but having a lot of blank spots in her memory.

Character note that I think would be really cool to explore: MCU Peter starts to fully embrace a sarcastic, caustic, trash-talk heavy behavior as a coping mechanism to how much his regular life sucks, even getting meme’ed for how brutal one of his verbal takedowns is of a kidnapper after a particularly stressful day.

In a sort of “adulting is hard, but worth it” story in his civilian life, Peter will end up having a sitcom style conflict with MJ as she deduces he’s Spider-Man with her own spider-tracers and they start reconnecting in-spite of his reluctance to do so because of her own storyline. Just imagine a full meta-argument about superhero love lives and how much they should or shouldn’t suffer, but done semi-comedically until it suddenly isn’t; MJ being a conspiracy theorist also gets all the drama and comedy wrung out of it, as does her more trollish behavior.

Meanwhile, in his Spider-life, Peter has to demonstrate his experience and maturity against an astoundingly well-equipped Spider-Slayer group and a rising threat in Macendale. The Spider-Slayers have collected a bunch of stuff from all over the MCU, and Macendale is manipulating his way into getting empowered so he can escape his debt to the Kingpin. Macendale figures out from Spidey’s trash talk that the mysterious jet-glider user at Liberty Island was called the “goblin” and that Spidey REALLY hates him, so his empowered form is theatrically dressed up and called Hobgoblin so he can mess with Peter’s head - which works very well, and allows the well trained, super strong, and well equipped Macendale to manhandle Peter, who has to be rescued by MJ.

Macendale also betrays and comes after Kingpin, who ends up making a reluctant alliance with Spidey to stop a rampaging Hobgoblin by offering him access to the Spider-Slayers vault… where Peter takes a gamble and activates a mysterious black sludge that becomes his new suit and offers increased healing, non-stop web fluid, and an energy boost. Black suited Spider-Man manages to drive off Hobgoblin, who escapes to becoming a recurring mercenary threat in the MCU … but one of the after-credits scenes hints at the black suit being alive when it tries to take Peter for a “joyride” while he’s unconscious, and only gets stopped when MJ walks in his bedroom to check on him.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Knowing Sony, I'd be forced to do a solo movie about Fusion, the Twin Terror.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

I like the idea of Rhino On A Rampage as well. I always thought he was an underrated villain.This would especially work well today because the Russians are considered by many the bad guys