Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Retired

Default Actors in more than one recurring role in a series

Of course, there's Tatiana Maslany who played countless roles on ORPHAN BLACK (countless because I haven't bothered to count them).

But there's also Patty Duke on THE PATTY DUKE SHOW who played identical cousins--Patty Lane and Cathy Lane--their fathers were identical twins (both played by William Schallert) and they also had another identical cousin, Belle (also played by Duke).

Elizabeth Montgomery played both Samantha Stephens and her identical cousin, Serena--however, the credits for Serena always had her played by "Pandora Spocks." Not to be outdone, I DREAM OF JEANNIE had Barbara Eden play both Jeannie and her sister Jeannie II, as well as their mother (in season 4, previous seasons the mother was played by other actresses).

For MAVERICK, James Garner played Brett Maverick, but he also played his own "Pappy"--Beauregard Maverick.

Max Baer, Jr., played Jethro Bodine on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES and he also played his twin sister, Jethrine Bodine.

Extraordinary Member

Allan Melvin played numerous characters on The Andy Griffith Show, usually as a bully threatening either Barney or Howard.

Dark Shadows and while all the cast played many roles notable actors were

Joan Bennett played Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, Naomi Collins 1795, Parallel Time Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, Judith Collins 1897, Flora Collins 1840, & Flora Collins 1841 Parallel Time.

Kathryn Leigh Scott played Maggie Evans, Josette DuPre Collins 1795, Maggie Collins Parallel Time, Rachel Drummond 1897, & Lady Kitty Soames 1897.

Edmond Louis played Roger Collins, Joshua Collins 1795, Edward Collins 1897, Roger Collins Parallel Time, Daniel Collins 1840, Amadeus Collins 1690, & Brutus Collins Parallel Time 1680.

& Nancy Barrett played Carolyn Collins Stoddard, Millicent Collins 1795, Charity Trask 1897 and did double duty playing Charity as Pansy Faye, Leticia Faye 1840, Carolyn Loomis Parallel Time, Melanie Collins 1841 Parallel Time, Amanda Collins 1680 Parallel Time, & Carolyn Collins Stoddard 1995.

Incredible Member

Tom Canavagh as multiple Wells on The Flash, both major and minor versions.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Dark Shadows and while all the cast played many roles . . .
    Yes, if one listed all the actors in the series and all the roles they played, it would probably take a whole page.

On THE SECOND HUNDRED YEARS (which sadly only lasted one season), Monte Markham played both Luke Carpenter and his grandson, Ken Carpenter. Luke went to Alaska in 1900 during the gold rush and was buried alive in a glacier. When he thawed out in 1967, he was 101 years old but looked 33 years old, the same age as his grandson. Luke's son and Ken's father, Edwin, was played by Arthur O'Connell.

Frank walker voices how many characters in many cartoons he was in?

Lyle Wagoner played two Steve Trevors. (he was the son, right?)

Matt Frewer played Max Headroom and ... the human guy whatsisname on "Max Headroom"

Star Trek reused a lot of actors, using different alien make-up. In terms of recurring, Jeffrey Combs is the most notable. Of my list, he's the only one who played characters who had nothing in common and was just a case of them wanting the actor.

Sheryl Lee played Laura Palmer and her cousin on "Twin Peaks."

SMG played Buffy and the Buffybot. (it was in multiple eps)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-13-2023 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    For MAVERICK, James Garner played Brett Maverick, but he also played his own "Pappy"--Beauregard Maverick.
    On Quantum Leap, Scott Bakula did the same thing with Sam Beckett's father.

Dennis Franz played a baddie named Sal Benedetto on Hill Street Blues before his main role as Norman Buntz.

There was also Harry Morgan's crazy general on M*A*S*H unless you subscribe to the theory that the general was busted down to Colonel and became Sherman Potter.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Yes, if one listed all the actors in the series and all the roles they played, it would probably take a whole page.

On THE SECOND HUNDRED YEARS (which sadly only lasted one season), Monte Markham played both Luke Carpenter and his grandson, Ken Carpenter. Luke went to Alaska in 1900 during the gold rush and was buried alive in a glacier. When he thawed out in 1967, he was 101 years old but looked 33 years old, the same age as his grandson. Luke's son and Ken's father, Edwin, was played by Arthur O'Connell.
    YES! (10 char)
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Majel Barrett played the ships computer, nurse chapel and Lwaxanai Troi in Star Trek. Also the original "Number one" although she wasn't a recurring character in the original shows.

In addition to Scotty, James Doohan also voiced several computers and some disembodied alien entities in the show.

Then there's the animated series, where Doohan, Majel and Nichelle Nichols who in addition to their original roles were pretty much every voiced character who wasn't Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Sulu or a special guest star (Mudd, Cyrano etc).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Diana Muldaur played Dr. Ann Mulhall in the second season of Star Trek TOS episode "Return To Tomorrow. She came back in the third season as Dr. Miranda Jones in "Is There In Truth No Beauty".

Peter Capaldi was a recurring character in Torchwood season 3 before getting cast as the Doctor. I don't count Caecillus since he wasn't a recurring character.

A lot of the show STAR WARS:BAD BATCH is pretty much Dee Bradley Baker talking to himself.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Eddie Murphy-The Nutty Professor

Martin-Martin

The Wayans Bros, Jim Carrey-In Living Color.

Extraordinary Member

The cast of Gilligan's Island played numerous other roles - usually in dream sequences (which was always fun).

But Bob Denver, Jim Backus, and Tina Louise each played lookalike characters in different episodes.

Retired

Obviously, on radio and in cartoons, the same voice actor could play several different roles and act opposite themselves. And on old T.V. series, it was common for the same actor to show up in numerous different roles from week to week. For instance, on MAVERICK, the great Gerald Mohr (star of radio) was cast as Doc Holliday twice, yet he also appeared as Dave Lindell, Giacomo Beretti, Gus Tellson, Johnny Bolero and Steve Corbett; however, these were in different episodes and didn't involve him acting opposite himself.

I'm more interested in the T.V. shows where the actors (and especially the stars) had to play both parts on screen at the same time.