Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Less is good.

Quite clearly Marvel is struggling to keep up with producing movies and TV series. The Star Wars TV series thus far haven't been bad but I support them treating these things like events again.

The all-in streaming strategy has diluted the brands.
    I feel like Feige is stretched too thin.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like Feige is stretched too thin.
    He is and it's showing.

Iger is 100% right in his assessment that Marvel wasn't really set-up to do tv and film at the same time. There's a "looseness" in some Marvel productions that wasn't there before.

Lucasfilm has done TV better but they've not been putting out movies so they've been stretched less.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    He is and it's showing.

Iger is 100% right in his assessment that Marvel wasn't really set-up to do tv and film at the same time. There's a "looseness" in some Marvel productions that wasn't there before.

Lucasfilm has done TV better but they've not been putting out movies so they've been stretched less.
    Yet Marvel incorporated Agents of Shield pretty seamlessly into the movies. It feels like Iger's assessment is either a smokescreen or an excuse for subpar performance. There is something else going on.

I think some shows are a key to the direction moving forward, and their spotty performance is making Iger and Feige second guess things.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yet Marvel incorporated Agents of Shield pretty seamlessly into the movies. It feels like Iger's assessment is either a smokescreen or an excuse for subpar performance. There is something else going on.

I think some shows are a key to the direction moving forward, and their spotty performance is making Iger and Feige second guess things.
    AoS was kind of a special situation, and Feige doesn't really seem open to acknowledging it.

AoS was run by Marvel TV, which was separate from Marvel Studios. So it wasn't all under one person like it is now. That's the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    AoS was run by Marvel TV, which was separate from Marvel Studios. So it wasn't all under one person like it is now. That's the difference.
    Yeah, the only TV show that Feige had a hand in that was "canon" was Agent Carter.

The Netflix shows are still kind of nebulous even if they're bringing back DD, Kingpin, and Punisher.

Astonishing Member

I just don't think Disney can do justice making MCU shows with a strict budget. Some shows have been horrible with special effects or action scenes like Ms. Marvel and Secret Invasion. Less is more. Plus I don't think there's enough good source material to keep out churning shows. Not every single IP can carry a show on their own. Hello Echo.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    If they were financially successful shows...they wouldn't be slowing down their production.

Also, like the first two seasons of Witcher on Netflix are reported to cost 319 million for 16 total episodes, that's about 20 million for an episode. Secret Invasion has 6 episodes at cost of 36 million each. They're just incompetent and there were reports like a year ago from insiders claiming Marvel studios does not know how to make television shows.
    Have you actually seen the Witcher? I enjoy it for what it is (the actors are great!), but the special effects on that show are a step above The Muppet Movie. It darn well better be cheaper!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Exactly what 80s said here.

Marvel studios didn't produce or showrun AoS. It was just like the Netflix series, Marvel studios didn't produce them.

The D+ series' are Marvel studios operating almost entirely out of their wheelhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Have you actually seen the Witcher? I enjoy it for what it is (the actors are great!), but the special effects on that show are a step above The Muppet Movie. It darn well better be cheaper!
    And that's not even getting into some of the costume design..

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Disney can't just say , were gonna stop doing Marvel and Star Wars shows on the platform. Because it will cause a big after effect. Without shows to replace these then they will have a streaming service without big new content to hook people to watch. Disney has tried to mine its old well of content like Willow series , which didn't do well. Or Mighty Ducks where they did the wrong move (letting Estavez walk off the 2nd year).

As the sayin goes....you have to spend money , to make money.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Uhh, no they didn't. AoS was obligated to follow and reference the movies. But the movies never acknowledged the show's existence. In fact, I think the only thing from TV that was acknowledged in the movies was when James D'Arcy reprised his role as Edwin Jarvis in Endgame.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Disney can't just say , were gonna stop doing Marvel and Star Wars shows on the platform. Because it will cause a big after effect. Without shows to replace these then they will have a streaming service without big new content to hook people to watch. Disney has tried to mine its old well of content like Willow series , which didn't do well. Or Mighty Ducks where they did the wrong move (letting Estavez walk off the 2nd year).

I think Disney should consider working with external creators to create content for the service like Netflix.

The only thing is Disney won't own the IP but if they are determined to cut costs, then they will have to consider it. I think (and I am entirely unsure here) WB is considering something like this for Max.

Iger is sounding like they are serious about scaling back Disney operations. At the moment, they are considering selling off part of their Indian business and might even sell ABC, Iger seems really determined to scale back Disney's operations.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Uhh, no they didn't. AoS was obligated to follow and reference the movies. But the movies never acknowledged the show's existence. In fact, I think the only thing from TV that was acknowledged in the movies was when James D'Arcy reprised his role as Edwin Jarvis in Endgame.
    Truth be told, I never watched AoS so was just going by what I heard. Wasn't Agent Coulson in it? And I thought the changes to SHIELD brought about in CA:Winter Soldier were shown in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

Yah I don't know how Disney + could survive without having those two franchises to anchor the programming. It would take a total revamp.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

The biggest problem with Disney (and all the streaming services, really) is lack of marketing. They hardly ever advertise their shows! It makes no sense. There's no commercials, ads, nothing to let the general audience know what's out and what's coming. Then they just cancel stuff for having low viewership smh