Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Ms. Marvel The New Mutant #1

Iman Vellani, the actor who plays Kamala in the Marvel Cinematic Universe — starting with last year's Ms. Marvel series on Disney+, and continuing on the big screen with The Marvels later this year — will co-write the new comic alongside Ms. Marvel TV writer Sabir Pirzada. Carlos Gomez and Adam Gorham will handle the art, and Sara Pichelli will provide the main covers.

In a nod to that big revelation from the Ms. Marvel series finale, the new comic will be titled Ms. Marvel: The New Mutant. Like her onscreen counterpart, the comic version of Kamala is officially a mutant now. That's also the explanation for why she's coming back so soon, because modern Marvel readers know that the X-Men have mastered the art of bringing mutants back to life.

When Kamala was created a decade ago by writer G. Willow Wilson, editors Sana Amanat and Stephen Wacker, and artists Adrian Alphona and Jamie McKelvie, she was an Inhuman who gained her powers from the release of Terrigen Mists. Her newfound mutant status doesn't replace her Inhuman history, Vellani promises. Instead, it gives Marvel's first major Muslim superhero a whole new identity to reckon with. Given the historical animosity between mutants and Inhumans, it'll probably be a struggle.

"I want to make it very, very clear that we are not reconning her Inhuman origin. That's a part of Kamala's identity that Marvel editorial and myself would very much like to keep and protect," Vellani says. "Our book will absolutely reflect all those core themes of identity that the Ms. Marvel comics have consistently explored — only now there's a whole new label that Kamala has to learn to accept. It's going to be pretty crazy."

https://ew.com/books/iman-vellani-wr...-marvel-comic/
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Astonishing Member

Oh thank God there keeping her comic powers

So any bets on her joining the Year 3, X-Team?

Also interesting that shes going to be presumably a mutant/inhuman(?)
    She's A Lifebringer

Damn not even a month after her death.

Also i think it’s incredibly cute that Iman is getting the chance to not only play her in live action but also write her story in the comics, i’m so happy for her

Wait, just dawned on me since she’s going to be a mutant too and carry an x-gene, I wonder if her powers in the MCU will be her mutant powers along with her Inhuman powers…
    Last edited by Diammandis; 07-14-2023 at 07:09 AM.
    She's A Lifebringer

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Very excited for this, I love Kamala and I'm happy to officially welcome her to the X-fam. Iman Vellani co-writing this will be fun, as will having Carlos Gomez on art.

As big fan of both the X-Men and Ms. Marvel, I love everything about this.

Seriously, Iman Vellani having a chance to tell the story of the same character she's playing? Has that ever happened in the history of Marvel or any superhero comic? If so, I hope it sets a new precedent. She's clearly a fan at heart, just like Kamala herself. I can think of no one better to tell this next part of her story.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

>The New Mutant
    >New Mutants
    Hellion confirmed.

Glad to see she's still keeping her powers. I hope she still has a connection to Inhumans though, and they're not just lifting the themes associated with it and slap them onto her mutant identity.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    As big fan of both the X-Men and Ms. Marvel, I love everything about this.

Seriously, Iman Vellani having a chance to tell the story of the same character she's playing? Has that ever happened in the history of Marvel or any superhero comic? If so, I hope it sets a new precedent. She's clearly a fan at heart, just like Kamala herself. I can think of no one better to tell this next part of her story.

Agreed. And Iman Vellani was a fan of Ms. Marvel even before she tried out for the role, so she knows the comic version of the character really well. I may have to check this out.

This is all so cynically depressing.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Curious to see how they do the inhuman and X-man thing, since that was always a no go. Not too happy about the Xs on the costume. I was hoping that she would do her own thing despite coming back as a mutant. Also feels like we'll bet getting references to IvX, which I hoped they had quietly retconned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Oh thank God there keeping her comic powers
    If she's still got her Inhuman origin and powers... what does her mutant gene do exactly? Does she keep the stretchy Inhuman powers and have the more energy-based Armor powers?

I've never cared much about this character honestly. But I will say with her becoming a mutant and sporting those X's on her costume, I'm already 60% more invested in her. Ha. I bet she ends up on Jean's Uncanny team being mentored by Logan or something.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

BANNED

Just how many Inhuman Hybrids are there running around that have become X-Gene mutants overnight anyway?
    Last edited by Micabe; 07-14-2023 at 07:23 AM.

She should not keep her Inhuman origin.

It’s possible that they reveal she is a mutant with an Inhuman ancestor.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    This is all so cynically depressing.
    Correct....

There is a bigger picture.

As an Inhuman and with edgelord and dudebro hatred-she still served on the Avengers and Champions. She still managed to get almost what 80 combined solo issues by passing Cassandra Cain and X-23. All within 10 years.
    So a standard has been set.

Kamala brings to the table another character who has been successful with solo runs beyond issue 6 or 12. And gives the X-Men a second one of color behind X-23.

Second-how does this affect the REST of the X-Men? Who is going to take a backseat to her? Because someone is going to lose their spot for her. Is it you Synch? Talon? Rogue? Jubliee? Polaris? Gambit? Storm? Nightcrawler? Someone's fanbase is NOT going to be happy. I suspect it's Synch.