Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Extraordinary Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,899

    Default Disney cutting back on SW content-what could it mean?

    Given Iger's recent comments kind of wonder how this will impact plans.

    Acolyte and SKeleton Crew are pretty much filmed so they're already "in the can" so to speak although I'm not sure there's any plans for more than one season.

    Think Andor's already filming and that wasn't intended to go beyond two seasons.

    Bad Batch's season two ended on a cliffhanger, think there's one season left but I don't think there will be any other general audience animated series green-lighted right away.

    Mandalorian doesn't really need a season 4 as Ashoka and the coming movie will deal with the Imperial storyline and I think Pedro seems a little indifferent to the whole thing.

    As for the movies, it's possible that part of this is so Star Wars becomes "event" movies again. Ditto with Marvel probably, so I think the three announced movies are safe for now, although I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is cut (Possibly "Dawn of the Jedi").

    Lando has been announced for four years and there seem to be 'talks' with Glover but not much beyond that so I think it's likely it's a no-go.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  2. #2
    Mighty Member Anodyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Given Iger's recent comments kind of wonder how this will impact plans.

    Acolyte and SKeleton Crew are pretty much filmed so they're already "in the can" so to speak although I'm not sure there's any plans for more than one season.

    Think Andor's already filming and that wasn't intended to go beyond two seasons.

    Bad Batch's season two ended on a cliffhanger, think there's one season left but I don't think there will be any other general audience animated series green-lighted right away.

    Mandalorian doesn't really need a season 4 as Ashoka and the coming movie will deal with the Imperial storyline and I think Pedro seems a little indifferent to the whole thing.

    As for the movies, it's possible that part of this is so Star Wars becomes "event" movies again. Ditto with Marvel probably, so I think the three announced movies are safe for now, although I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is cut (Possibly "Dawn of the Jedi").

    Lando has been announced for four years and there seem to be 'talks' with Glover but not much beyond that so I think it's likely it's a no-go.
    What is SW?
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

    "If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

  3. #3
    Mighty Member Zauriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    1,725

    Default

    cutting back on SW content might be a good decision for Disney. Less is more.

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    What is SW?
    Short for Star Wars.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  5. #5
    Mighty Member Anodyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Short for Star Wars.
    Thanks for the info.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

    "If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

  6. #6
    Ultimate Member Deathstroke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,173

    Default

    What Iger's statement failed to acknowledge is that it isn't that there's too much content but rather that there's too much subpar content at times. Kind of big difference. And it isn't the fault of the TV shows that the movies suffered from some really crappy stories overall.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

    Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

    "I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

  7. #7
    Spam Hunter Conn Seanery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1997
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    5,819

    Default

    I think his comments about the creatives being spread too thin and that it diluted focus and attention covers that. He's not outright saying some projects sucked of course, he's the CEO, why would he?

    "Marvel’s a great example of that… They had not been in the TV business at any significant level. Not only did they increase their movie output, but they ended up making a number of television series, and frankly, it diluted focus and attention. That is, I think, more the cause than anything else."
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

    "Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

  8. #8
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    15,140

    Default

    IMHO they just need to decide if the brand is for streaming or movies ... And stick with it.

    "Pick a lane ..." As the saying goes.

    I would have argued that Marvel would be best suited for TV due the serial nature of comics and Star Wars be movies given the event nature of them, but given how much stronger SW has been on streaming and the juggernaut the MCU became ... I would go the opposite route.

    I would keep SW 100% streaming for now and MCU 100% in theaters.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  9. #9
    The Kid 80sbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    He never actually mentioned Star Wars though, did he?

  10. #10
    Spam Hunter Conn Seanery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1997
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    5,819

    Default

    He didn't, but if he's saying he's using Marvel as an example that implies it's not limited to Marvel. Their Star Wars content is the closest thing to the Marvel model, it's not a big stretch to conclude he's talking about that too.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

    "Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

  11. #11
    The Kid 80sbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    He didn't, but if he's saying he's using Marvel as an example that implies it's not limited to Marvel. Their Star Wars content is the closest thing to the Marvel model, it's not a big stretch to conclude he's talking about that too.
    Gotcha. It seemed more like people were saying it was SW specific in his comments.

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,797

    Default

    I think this is primarily about the MCU, but…

    My *hope* is that it eventually means giving into Writers Guild of America’s demands to create and require “writing rooms” for all shows, which dominoes down into 1) shows having more creative dudes in the writing process, and 2) this turns into Dave Filoni getting more time to review and approve concepts and direction for TV shows and movies while still working in his own stuff.

    The more likely goal of Iger is simply fewer stuff that costs no more than it does now.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

    I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Somewhere in Time & Space
    Posts
    7,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think this is primarily about the MCU, but…

    My *hope* is that it eventually means giving into Writers Guild of America’s demands to create and require “writing rooms” for all shows, which dominoes down into 1) shows having more creative dudes in the writing process, and 2) this turns into Dave Filoni getting more time to review and approve concepts and direction for TV shows and movies while still working in his own stuff.

    The more likely goal of Iger is simply fewer stuff that costs no more than it does now.
    I'm not really a fan of the requirement for a certain number of writers on a show. IMO one of the best Sci-Fi shows of all time was Babylon 5 and it's best two seasons were seasons 3 and 4 and JMS wrote those 2 seasons on his own. Even the other 3 seasons he wrote about 60 to 75% of the episodes by himself with exemptions like Neil Gaiman, Harlan Ellison, & DC Fontana to name a few writing some episodes so when he did bring in help it was usually the best in the field.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 07-16-2023 at 12:18 PM.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,577

    Default

    SW shows specifically. Looking back Bobba Fett was not needed at all. It felt like they knew that from the structure. When they divert the main story for several episodes to do Mandalorian season 2.5 which turned out the be the only thing that made Bobba Fett palatable as a series.

    They could have used that money and time and effort to make Mandalorian s3 more cohesive and satisfying instead. Or divert that effort to making Obi Wan better than it was.

    If the project isn't needed don't just add for "content" sake.

    Give the creatives what they need and set them up for success. Don't overwork them and run with half baked ideas.

  15. #15
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    IMHO they just need to decide if the brand is for streaming or movies ... And stick with it.

    "Pick a lane ..." As the saying goes.

    I would have argued that Marvel would be best suited for TV due the serial nature of comics and Star Wars be movies given the event nature of them, but given how much stronger SW has been on streaming and the juggernaut the MCU became ... I would go the opposite route.

    I would keep SW 100% streaming for now and MCU 100% in theaters.
    It's an interesting complication. With a lot of made-for-streaming shows in a multi-media franchise, you run the risk of making things too complex at the cinema, unless your scripts are very smart (e.g. adding a dash of reference to a show in the screenplay for seasoning without it being an essential ingredient for those who don't watch the streaming shows). Early in its first season, I thought Marvel's Agents of SHIELD was doing that pretty well, until it became apparent that it was (of a necessity as it turned out) going its own way from the MCU. Now, not having watched more than a couple of eps of Ms. Marvel, I'm wondering if I'll be able to digest the upcoming Marvels film.

    But, back to SW, they have a little less of an issue so far. The streaming SW shows seem to have less impact on the canonical cinema stories, or at least they have up to this point. They've been running tangentially adjacent to - rather than in tandem with - the film stories. Additional series of Andor, and Obi-Wan might begin to blur those lines.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •