Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Default Gerry Duggan Talks Reassembling the Uncanny Avengers

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/un...-marvel-x-men/

ComicBook.com had the chance to talk to Duggan via video chat about the new Uncanny Avengers series, touching on some related projects -- his continuing work on X-Men and Invincible Iron Man, which will crossover for the coming wedding of Tony Stark and Emma Frost -- along the way. Marvel Comics also provided an exclusive first look at Uncanny Avengers ahead of its August 16th debut (and final order cutoff date of July 17th), which reveals the lineup of the new Mutant Liberation Front: Fenris, Blob, Wildside, and the mysterious Captain Krakoa.

Well, that was my last hope that Beast was going to be redeemed soon, appearing in this comic. Maybe they really are going to permanently kill him off
    placeholder signature until I can think of something.

Blob? Hmmm...

Yeah! Some Kwannon unleashed action.
    I honestly don't have much interest in this but maybe I will get it just for her. It's a mini anyways so I don't have high expectations.
    "This is me being reasonable"

A few thoughts after reading the interview:

Gerry Duggan comes across as very intelligent, thoughtful, humble and just generally a nice guy. I don't always love his books although I think when he's on he can truly knock it out of the park, but it's just always a pleasure reading or listening to his interviews. He also sounds very enthusiastic about his books here which I love.

There's no mention of Uncanny Avengers being a 5 issue mini in the interview aside from the solicit at the end; now there's nothing that doesn't say it isn't either, I just got the impression from the way Duggan is talking about it that he has longer term plans for the book.

It seems like we're getting more members, as previously hinted at, but they will be more on the Avengers side... which I guess is fair enough.

Not enough is said about Javier Garron's art: he's grown leaps and bounds during his time on Avengers and these preview pages show dynamic page composition, exciting action and great character work. His Pietro, Monet and Kwannon all look lush.

Et tu, Blob?!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    A few thoughts after reading the interview:

Gerry Duggan comes across as very intelligent, thoughtful, humble and just generally a nice guy. I don't always love his books although I think when he's on he can truly knock it out of the park, but it's just always a pleasure reading or listening to his interviews. He also sounds very enthusiastic about his books here which I love.

There's no mention of Uncanny Avengers being a 5 issue mini in the interview aside from the solicit at the end; now there's nothing that doesn't say it isn't either, I just got the impression from the way Duggan is talking about it that he has longer term plans for the book.

It seems like we're getting more members, as previously hinted at, but they will be more on the Avengers side... which I guess is fair enough.

Not enough is said about Javier Garron's art: he's grown leaps and bounds during his time on Avengers and these preview pages show dynamic page composition, exciting action and great character work. His Pietro, Monet and Kwannon all look lush.

Et tu, Blob?!
    Yea this was also the vibe I was getting before we got news of the 5 issue mini. To be fair, Uncanny Avengers vol 2 was like 5 issues then immediately jumped into another volume, so there is a chance it could do that again in the eventual relaunch?

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Yea this was also the vibe I was getting before we got news of the 5 issue mini. To be fair, Uncanny Avengers vol 2 was like 5 issues then immediately jumped into another volume, so there is a chance it could do that again in the eventual relaunch?
    I'm pretty sure at least some of the books will come back in one form or another after Fall of X and Uncanny Avengers is certainly one with some longevity in it.

Very interesting answer regarding fan votes... it sounds like this year's might be the last:

Was there any thought given to an Avengers Unity Squad fan vote to choose the final member of the team? Or is one fan-voted character enough for you to wrap your head around?

I think people are going to be pretty much all done with fan votes after this year's Hellfire Gala. That was a wonderful idea. I hope everyone had fun with it. I know that every character is someone's favorite. I worried a little bit about the temperature of some of the stuff. It was always meant to be fun. We did try to have election security. We could tell when a character had received fraudulent votes and so we just zeroed those out and left all the others. Some of these votes were really close. I think this year's was the closest.

But it presents a challenge, especially to me as a writer, to be able to not know who's going to be on the team and how that will play out. But I will tell you, I think one of the most interesting things when we look back at this era, will probably be the Firestar story that will come into focus as a result of her having been a fan vote winner. She's been both an Avenger and an X-Man, so I'm excited to see what comes of that.

I think we made a lot of good hay of that. And that was a gift, right? Talking before about being open to, "Mark Waid put this in the comic book, or "Oh god, the fans are giving you Firestar," now those are both two really fun, important things that you just have to be open to. We've had a big, multi-year plan, but those are the opportunities that you just have to be open to. You have to be flexible, and I hope it's fun.

But to answer your question, one fan vote is enough for me. I also have a hard time believing that [editor Tom Brevoort] would do a fan vote.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but from one of the last questions his answer makes it seem like this will be the last time we have a vote for the last X-Men member?

Thanks for posting!

"I always approach these Hellfire Galas as act breaks and one big story, and here it is, five years later, we're now executing ideas specifically in the Hellfire Gala that were part of year one story sessions on the street after the retreat on our way from a dinner to a pub, things that have been a part of this since Marauders was called X-Men: Buccaneers as a placeholder. So what a privilege it has been to have such a long amount of rope. I never, ever have experienced anything like that, and I hope everyone has fun with that ride."

Regarding the cast:
    "It is a little X heavy on the front end of it, but we haven't quite revealed all of the cast. There are some more Avengers to come. Avengers to be named later, as we'll say."

I'm really surprised to see Blob there too! He's definitely been one of the former villains I've enjoyed this era but I guess that all may be over.

It seems the team is taking a much more aggressive approach than maybe Rogers would normally take. But desperate times call for desperate measures.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Looking forward to some unrestrained, bloody Pyslocke action.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post

Monet's facial expression in that first page is hilarious lol

Cool team.

I don't love the art...
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Monet's facial expression in that first page is hilarious lol
    hilarious indeed. must be the best Monet moment of all time. lol so amazing. But why is she even here? Give her a solo book and put her on X-Men!!!!

...ad poor Psylocke II does not have a face at all here. lol