• Barbie

8 25.81%
  • Oppenheimer

14 45.16%
  • Both

9 29.03%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Oppenheimer was mind blowing...Barbie though? I am not going to spoil it but i will say that unless you don't want your young kids to ask you awkward questions, do not take them to see this.
    I saw Oppenheimer in IMAX and it was so amazing, the use of sound and the score was a masterpiece with the acting being the best I've seen all year.

I didn't see Barbie as it not the kind of movie I'd rush out to see but, I did hear that even though it was based off a child's toy that the movie is not really that suitable for children.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Oppenheimer was mind blowing...Barbie though? I am not going to spoil it but i will say that unless you don't want your young kids to ask you awkward questions, do not take them to see this.
    Well, it is PG-13.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Well, it is PG-13.
    The rating system is hard to go off alone of today. Disney's Haunted Mansion which I'm sure will will be a little bet more tame than Barbie in the adult innuendo from the clips of I've seen of both.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    The rating system is hard to go off alone of today.
    Not really. If it's PG13 then you can bet there are discussions you will be having with your 8 year old if you bring them. Heck, I saw the trailer and knew right away that a child would not understand the theme of the movie. Most adults can't even comprehend self awareness of the movie by looking at the backlash...

Retired

What's wrong with having discussions with your children? I'm not a parent but I did have parents who would avoid discussions at all costs--to protect themselves not me--and I'm the worse for it. It just seems like adults are scared to talk about things that maybe they should have the courage to talk about. Or else their kids grow up not knowing about stuff that might help them in life.

Is OPPENHEIMER any better at avoiding difficult subjects? I'd think that movie would bring up issues that are harder to explain to younger children.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What's wrong with having discussions with your children? I'm not a parent but I did have parents who would avoid discussions at all costs--to protect themselves not me--and I'm the worse for it. It just seems like adults are scared to talk about things that maybe they should have the courage to talk about. Or else their kids grow up not knowing about stuff that might help them in life.

Is OPPENHEIMER any better at avoiding difficult subjects? I'd think that movie would bring up issues that are harder to explain to younger children.
    Nah, sex is harder to explain than violence any day of the week.

/s

I’d hazard a guess that most 13 year olds know what sex is (or, rather, have at least a passing knowledge, often with incorrect or incomplete knowledge because adults are afraid to talk about it with them). A parent denying that fact and avoiding having discussions about responsibility are potentially hurting their children, but that’s a discussion for an entirely different thread, and it’s best if I leave this to be my last post on that topic in this thread.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 07-24-2023 at 10:27 AM.

My dad was in the nuclear business, so I grew up learning way more than I wanted to know about atomic energy, the challenges associated with refining plutonium, nuclear waste/storage issues, and so on. Sex, though? My parents said almost nothing about that!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Saw both.

Oppenheimer was a quality Nolan flick though overly long and suffering as often from his loud noises during talking stick. Solid cast especially Cillian as the lead with strong performances by RDJ and Damon. If you enjoyed Dunkirk you should like this one. I liked the divide between 40’s and 50’s with black and white used predominantly for the latter.

Barbie is… interesting. Quite funny and a good cast, though Margot weirdly feels sidelined in the last third of the film in favour of numerous other characters. Gosling’s Ken is thankfully just complex enough that you can both like and dislike him at different points in the film. Messaging is a little all over the place, sadly - I get what Greta was trying to do but it doesn’t always work. Kate as Weird Barbie is AWESOME. I wish Simu had more to do. Ultimately I am glad I saw it so I can be legit with the criticism, but I get the movie isn’t made for me. It’s definitely NOT a kids film in my personal opinion.

Otherwise an interesting if strange double bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Nah, sex is harder to explain than violence any day of the week.

/s

I’d hazard a guess that most 13 year olds know what sex is (or, rather, have at least a passing knowledge, often with incorrect or incomplete knowledge because adults are afraid to talk about it with them). A parent denying that fact and avoiding having discussions about responsibility are potentially hurting their children, but that’s a discussion for an entirely different thread, and it’s best if I leave this to be my last post on that topic in this thread.
    Sex is the easy discussion. All the other stuff that dealt with the self awareness is the hard part.

BANNED

Both were box office winners

barbie: 165m
    oppenheimer: 82m

Thinking that rather than start a new thread on Oppenheimer, I should post my thoughts about it here. I'll catch Barbie soon (its success is wonderful.)

But I loved Oppenheimer. It trumps any movie released in 2022 (and that was a good year in cinema- Tar, Top Gun: Maverick, Women Talking, All Quiet on the Western Front and Everything Everywhere All At Once were exceptional.)

I think it's getting Best Supporting Actor for Downey Jr, and there is a recent trend of films winning that category getting Best Picture (Moonlight, Green Book, CODA, Everything Everywhere All At Once) which would also be deserved.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Retired

I don't know if or when I'll see OPPENHEIMER, but I wanted to know if my favourite Manhattan Project character (collect them all) was in the picture. That's Richard Feynman. Looking at the cast list, I see that he does appear, played by Jack Quaid. I wonder, how big is his role in the movie?. I think Feynman deserves his own film--but not from Christopher Nolan--as it's a touching love story as much as anything else and Nolan isn't very good at telling those kinds of stories.

I did the Barbenheimer on Sunday; what a treat. I'd recommend it to all. Reminds you what good cinema can be like, when free of franchises and sequels and remakes and prequels.

BARBIE ★★★★☆ [grade: B+]
    OPPENHEIMER ★★★★★ [grade: A+]

MY REVIEW:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post6547168

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 07-27-2023 at 06:47 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think Dunkirk is the best film made in the second half of the '10s.
    Oh, heavily disagree. I so, so, SO RARELY give a film 1 star. I gave Dunkirk 1 star!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    And it seems like Cillian Murphy, Matt Damon, Robert Downey Jr, Emily Blunt and Florence Pugh all think they're Oscar-contenders.
    I'd be surprised if Murphy, Blunt and Downey Jr aren't nominated. I'd like Damon to be nominated. But not Florence Pugh, she did very little and didn't really have much of a character expect loudly shouting 'I'm a communist!!!" into the void. The character was far more complex and interesting than the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yeah, but which one should people see first?? Will there be a team "Barbheimers" v. team "Oppenbies"?! Will we get a limited edition "Oppenheimer Barbie" with her wearing a pink version of Opp's outfit? (complete with big pink mushroom cloud) ... or will that be going too far?
    I'd recommend seeing Oppenheimer first. It's longer, so you get the lion's share over and done with, and it's very heavy. So the light relief of Barbie after (while still stimulating the brain) is a very good placebo to not get consumed by thoughts of nuclear war.

There's a certain whimsy to the whole Barbenheimer phenomenon that better fits the BARBIE movie than OPPENHEIMER. Even if Nolan's movie makes more money because of this, it will be a kind of embarrassment that the movie made money because movie goers were being ironic.
    Actually it fits both. Their is a certain camp quality to the high drama of Oppenheimer, it's very grandeous. It fits.

Nolan comes across as an uptight egotist who will be bothered by people receiving his work in the wrong way. That might be W.B.'s best revenge, served cold.
    Nolan's a successful film director... OF COURSE he's an uptight egotist. Most directors are
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I suspect Barbieheimer will benefit Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling more than Christopher Nolan and Cillian Murphy. I don't really have a dog in this fight, although I have Barbie dolls and I've read about Oppenheimer and the Manhattan Project. However, I've little interest in Gerwig or Nolan these days.

There's a certain whimsy to the whole Barbenheimer phenomenon that better fits the BARBIE movie than OPPENHEIMER. Even if Nolan's movie makes more money because of this, it will be a kind of embarrassment that the movie made money because movie goers were being ironic. Nolan comes across as an uptight egotist who will be bothered by people receiving his work in the wrong way. That might be W.B.'s best revenge, served cold.
    I'm sure he'll be crying all the way to the bank.