Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default The state of Superman comics

how do you guys feel the state of superman comics is right now?

i for one feel like it has started to improve, despite setbacks with the main title and unchained being delayed to hell. with johns taking over the main book, pak nailing action, and soule doing great with smww, good things are on the horizon. there still are the bad apples with superboy/girl and wf(decent at best), but dc is finally weeding out the bad teams so they may improve

Action, Superman, SW and unchained have been good reads imo. SG to me at least got decent when she became a lantern. SB ughh to me it appears the writers didn't know what they wanted to do, and so they threw a bunch of stuff together.

Pretty good with the potential to be great. Action Comics and Superman/Wonder Woman are both top notch, so really the only question mark right now is Superman and how Johns/Romita do.

Supergirl and Superboy are different animals. They're kinda in a flux state where I'm finding it more difficult to judge where they're at. What I mean is, there's been some solid individual issues the past month or so, suggesting a possible turnaround, but both involving at their core rather controversial directions (Red Lantern and Jon Kent respectively).

BANNED

Unchained and the team-up books are the only ones I have an interest in right now, because I'm not a fan of a lot of the directions they took Supes in the New 52. I know a lot of people are satisfied with the changes, but many of them aren't my cup of tea. I'm mostly reading Supes/Wonds because of the gorgeous art and I might drop Bats/Supes if it doesn't improve.

Supergirl has lost a step, but not as bad as I had feared.

Superboy is getting a little better.

As for Action, Batman/Superman, Superman/ Wonder Woman, Unchained and Superman (when Johns/ JRJR take over)? They will all be lined up with writing I like and art I don't.

Adventures of Superman still seems like my best bet.
    I am NOT comics.

BANNED

just some foot notes
    main- glad johns is the writer, even though he will bring things back to a more traditional feel, johns is none for putting his own stamp on things so those expecting everything to revert to the same old same old are mistaken at best. not too crazy about romita but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
    acton- don't change a thing pak. johns take note lol
    smbm- pak is great, art needs to go. it really drags the book down
    smww-good book with a great dynamic. soule has handled supes well in this book for the most part. and wonderwoman is both a great compliment and contrast depending on the area of their dynamic.
    SG- once the red lantern arc is done, this book needs a new writer. i feel the constant angst is a real downer for what should be a fun character
    sb- same as sg
    wf- either relaunch with a different writer or launch a PG solo with conner. this book has really reduced her to a bumbling idiot at times

and where is krypto?

Astonishing Member

Favorite to least favorite:

- Action Comics: Pak/Kuder's run has been the highlight of the current crop of S-books. Kuder's art is basically perfection, and perfectly conveys the physicality of Superman. Pak is kind of writing a continuation of Sholly Fisch's backup features, but with more drama,action, and worldbuilding to make it more worthy of being the main feature. My only complaint is that I don't want to read about Doomsday.

- Superman/Wonder Woman: This book is alright. Soule is doing a good job writing the pathos and mechanics of an adult relationship, which is something I've never seen in superhero comics or any comics before, but the story is just OK for me, not nearly as good as his Swamp Thing run. Tony Daniel's art is too static and does nothing for me. Like Action, don't care to read the Doomsday stuff.

- Batman/Superman: Haven't read this book in a while to say for sure. The first arc was good, but I didn't bother with the Booth arc and didn't pick it up after that. Jae Lee is the wrong fit for what's an action superhero romp, I think Kenneth Rocafort should have been placed here.

- Superman: Lobdell has good ideas, but his execution is too haphazard, his dialogue is corny, and he goes overboard with trying to write Superman as young and brash. Not horrible, but not particularly good either. Hopefully Johns and JRjr will fix things. Johns isn't exactly my favorite writer, but he's capable of good work. I love JRjr's art, OTOH and looking forward to that.

- Unchained: So yeah, this book is pretty bad. Jim Lee needs to just stop drawing monthly books, and stick to minis and GN's. Snyder's writing is a lot more structured and less haphazard than Lobdell, but that's not enough to save the bad villain, uninteresting plot, and backwards characterization of Superman.

- Supergirl: This book has been a mess since Asrar left art duties. The original writers, Johnson and Green had the right idea of writing Kara as a fish out of water and somewhat hostile to Earth and Kal. Unfortunately, instead of progressing her into a superhero, they're just compounding that initial set-up with more problems like H'El, Cyborg Zor-El, and now the Red Lantern stuff I haven't bothered checking out. This book needs a major overhaul, possibly a relaunch.

- Superboy:...Words won't describe this one lol.

Whoops, I forgot about Batman/Superman and Unchained.

B/S is pretty good but it kinda needs to get off the Earth 2 comparisons now. With First Contact over, hopefully we'll be moving on.

Unchained is one big meh. Pretty much Lois's characterization is the only bright spot. Outside of her the best character moment in the book goes to Batman and his funny whistle, which is rather telling. Superman's written bad (wasn't surprised when I found out that apparently TAS Superman is Snyder's favorite incarnation), General Lane has none of the qualities that make him interesting elsewhere, and Wraith is as generic as you can get. Add to that Lee's art was pretty bad till about the fourth issue, and the big delays, I think its easily the worst Superman offering out there. With that said, of course it sells the most because of the names, lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post

- Action Comics: Pak/Kuder's run has been the highlight of the current crop of S-books. Kuder's art is basically perfection, and perfectly conveys the physicality of Superman. Pak is kind of writing a continuation of Sholly Fisch's backup features, but with more drama,action, and worldbuilding to make it more worthy of being the main feature. My only complaint is that I don't want to read about Doomsday.

- Superman/Wonder Woman: This book is alright. Soule is doing a good job writing the pathos and mechanics of an adult relationship, which is something I've never seen in superhero comics or any comics before, but the story is just OK for me, not nearly as good as his Swamp Thing run. Tony Daniel's art is too static and does nothing for me. Like Action, don't care to read the Doomsday stuff.

- Batman/Superman: Haven't read this book in a while to say for sure. The first arc was good, but I didn't bother with the Booth arc and didn't pick it up after that. Jae Lee is the wrong fit for what's an action superhero romp, I think Kenneth Rocafort should have been placed here.

- Superman: Lobdell has good ideas, but his execution is too haphazard, his dialogue is corny, and he goes overboard with trying to write Superman as young and brash. Not horrible, but not particularly good either. Hopefully Johns and JRjr will fix things. Johns isn't exactly my favorite writer, but he's capable of good work. I love JRjr's art, OTOH and looking forward to that.

- Unchained: So yeah, this book is pretty bad. Jim Lee needs to just stop drawing monthly books, and stick to minis and GN's. Snyder's writing is a lot more structured and less haphazard than Lobdell, but that's not enough to save the bad villain, uninteresting plot, and backwards characterization of Superman.

- Supergirl: This book has been a mess since Asrar left art duties. The original writers, Johnson and Green had the right idea of writing Kara as a fish out of water and somewhat hostile to Earth and Kal. Unfortunately, instead of progressing her into a superhero, they're just compounding that initial set-up with more problems like H'El, Cyborg Zor-El, and now the Red Lantern stuff I haven't bothered checking out. This book needs a major overhaul, possibly a relaunch.

agreed on all fronts

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Whoops, I forgot about Batman/Superman and Unchained.

B/S is pretty good but it kinda needs to get off the Earth 2 comparisons now. With First Contact over, hopefully we'll be moving on.

Unchained is one big meh. Pretty much Lois's characterization is the only bright spot. Outside of her the best character moment in the book goes to Batman and his funny whistle, which is rather telling. Superman's written bad (wasn't surprised when I found out that apparently TAS Superman is Snyder's favorite incarnation), General Lane has none of the qualities that make him interesting elsewhere, and Wraith is as generic as you can get. Add to that Lee's art was pretty bad till about the fourth issue, and the big delays, I think its easily the worst Superman offering out there. With that said, of course it sells the most because of the names, lol.
    this, unchained is a sub par supes book with good names on it.

Superman's monthly titles have been consistently entertaining since the relaunch. I honestly can't remember a period when Superman was this good, for this long. It's been three years now, and I can count on one hand the issues that didn't work for me.

On top of that, JRJR is one of my all time favorite artists in comics. He's drawn so many legendary stories and personal favorites. That he'll be doing Superman is kind of a 'pinch me' twist for me.

Soule, Pak and Johns at the helm now? I can't see anything but brightness in the future too. It looks to be a brilliant year (again!) for Superman.

I really can't complain. In fact, the only things I can think to be displeased about is the ending of Adventures of Superman and Davis not doing the art for the next Earth One volume.

Pretty much how I rank this, except I rarely bother reading SG or SB.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Adventures is a great title. Not every story works, but none of the stories ever linger. I like to just pick up one issue of one comic and get a story, and I like that this focuses on Superman himself and not Superman in DC, like all of the other books. With this gone I guess I'm done for the time being.

Action is pretty good, but I dropped it for the crossover and I don't really miss it.

Supergirl has not had a singular vision since the H'el story, but on an issue by issue basis it's still fun.

BANNED

Now that Adventure is gone this is pretty much on the money my friend.

better than they have been in a while if you ask me the new 52 really has done wonders for supes.