Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I get the sense that Johns's Superman is just going to feel like a continuation of Superman Unchained. Just with way better art (I'm not a Lee hater, but his stiff and rushed art on Unchained is what makes it bad as opposed to just boring), and less overwrought monologuing.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
    God I hope you're wrong too.

I'm not going to be overly demanding here; Morrison and Pak are by far the bar when it comes to a quality New 52 Superman. But Johns will do what he wants and if he doesn't want to take inspiration from them, fine. Just make sure the guy keeps the backbone that the New 52 gave back to him. That's all I ask. None of this being talked down to by military and "bigger and better" Supermen. No "north star" nonsense.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-12-2014 at 09:15 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

SM/WW is a well written book with a pretty bland Superman in it who comes off as too love sick for my taste. The book reads more like a romance novel than what I'd want a comic book to read like and it beats you over the head with their relationship at every turn (and I'm down for their relationship). But with that said it's still a wonderfully written book (not a fan of the art) regardless of my taste for the subject matter.

Johns and JRJR coming up soon and the Doomed event before it makes of interesting reading ahead of us.
    I myself really enjoy this side of superman in SM/WW. The intricate details of their relationship is zoomed-in nicely... i would not say it's a bland superman, but rather "overshadowed" superman, although I agree with you that it brings him to love-sick image. And I may say it's happened in real life to some of us, not saying that I like it, but I enjoy it (confused enough? Haha).

About the art itself, I LOVE it. The splash page in 1st issue becoming my wallpaper. (I admit, I like my superman and ww shown as beautiful boy and girl. Haha)

Action Comics - Had a great start under Morrison but faltered once he left. Once Pak and Kuder began their run it went straight to being my favorite of the new 52 titles. They're doing such a bang-up job with it.

Superman / Wonder Woman - Disregarding my feelings of this pairing (blegh), average is the one word I would use to describe this series. Not bad but not that great either.

Superman - There have been some big ideas coming out of this book but it all peters out and turns into a jumbled mess of ugh. I'm hopeful that Johns and Romita Jr. will bring their A-game to the title.

Superman Unchained - I'm not the biggest fan of Snyder. Despite loving American Vampire, I find the rest of his work to be inconsistent. Lee's artwork was also never my cup of tea hence I find this mini-series to be a pretty terrible celebration of Superman which was the main reason why I even bothered with it.

Adventures of Superman - While this is still being collected in print, the digital publication has ended. There were some really great entertaining stories to come out of this title but also some real stinkers. Despite that, I always looked forward to the next chapter every Monday. My second favorite Superman title after Action Comics.