Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I would only recommend Action Comics. Maybe, Superman/Wonder Woman also, but the rest are pretty bad. Action Comics is soooo good. I don't even like Lana as a character all that much, but Greg Pak's writing is the best to have graced Superman in recent memory. Aaron Kuder's art is amazing, although he can be inconsistent. Facial expressions are his strong point, but the anatomy looks somewhat questionable. Some panels look like very rushed. Two panels in #25, in particular, stick out distinctly in my memory.

All-New Member

I wonder if someone (editor[?]) should have keep up the consistency of character. It's the faulty of many titles and writers handle the same character in different book. Superman is only one victim. Batman as well in the hand of Geoff John is becoming such an incompetent douche.

Outside of Unchained the consistency isn't that off. Morrison and Pak's Superman is nearly identical. Soule's Superman is pretty close to that template as well. Lobdell went with a more aggressive Superman but didn't get the compassion of Morrison and Pak that balanced it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Outside of Unchained the consistency isn't that off. Morrison and Pak's Superman is nearly identical. Soule's Superman is pretty close to that template as well. Lobdell went with a more aggressive Superman but didn't get the compassion of Morrison and Pak that balanced it out.
    Soule's and Lobdell's visions for Superman are not even close to Morrison's and Pak's, in my opinion. The sense that Clark is driven by a passion for social justice and a sense of lighthearted fun are not really present in Superman or Superman/Wonder Woman.

Have you caught up with Unchained yet, Sacred Knight?

BANNED

i feel like soules strikes a nice balance between pak and lobdell, though he is definitely closer to pak, epescially when it comes to quality and dialogue

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Soule's and Lobdell's visions for Superman are not even close to Morrison's and Pak's, in my opinion. The sense that Clark is driven by a passion for social justice and a sense of lighthearted fun are not really present in Superman or Superman/Wonder Woman.

Have you caught up with Unchained yet, Sacred Knight?
    Lobdell's is the furthest off. But I don't think I agree that Soule isn't even close. The plot of SM/WW to this point hasn't really granted a lighthearted atmosphere yet nor any social justice themes. Its been more of a ...rock'em sock'em plotline thus far, for lack of a more enlightened term. But the characterization is hardly any shock to the system when compared with Action, imo.

In the end though, the more like Pak's Action, the better.

Still not caught up on Unchained, nope. I decided to wait until the run was finished because of the delays. Whenever I mention it its with the caveat that I've only read the first four.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-11-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I think Lobdell's book was pretty close to Morrison's CHAMPION OF THE OPPRESSED.

I agree that Soule's is nothing like it though, and seems to be more of whatever Geoff Johns has been doing in JUSTICE LEAGUE. Johns works on his own continuity though.

Johns' New 52 Superman to this point was more the quiet giant. I don't really think that describes Soule's character that well.

But bringing up Johns, his Superman in Justice League was indeed not really consistent with the rest, either. So thinking about it more, I'd amend my original statement and say that Superman's been written more consistent lately. Thinking back to the beginning it was more scattershot than I originally let on.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-11-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Johns' New 52 Superman to this point was more the quiet giant. I don't really think that describes Soule's character that well.

But bringing up Johns, his Superman in Justice League was indeed not really consistent with the rest, either. So thinking about it more, I'd amend my original statement and say that Superman's been written more consistent lately. Thinking back to the beginning it was more scattershot than I originally let on.
    Yeah, cause Morrison's SUPERMAN was nothing even remotely resembling "quiet". He was the SUPERMAN of the modern age, a rough and tumble champion.

The whole first arc of JUSTICE LEAGUE would have gone down way differently had Johns paid attention to other creators.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The whole first arc of JUSTICE LEAGUE would have gone down way differently had Johns paid attention to other creators.
    Hopefully now that DOOM starting, all sups writers really put attention on how other writer handle the character. It would be a guiding arc for Johns to keep our Superman in-character.

Personally, I love Pak's Clark the most. Soul's right in second place... he's too love-struck in SM/WW. But I understand that in reality, even some big powerful leader even can turn to this kind of guy when facing his love one...oh well that is the intention of couples book, isn't it?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CyclopsEyes View Post
    Hopefully now that DOOM starting, all sups writers really put attention on how other writer handle the character. It would be a guiding arc for Johns to keep our Superman in-character.

Personally, I love Pak's Clark the most. Soul's right in second place... he's too love-struck in SM/WW. But I understand that in reality, even some big powerful leader even can turn to this kind of guy when facing his love one...oh well that is the intention of couples book, isn't it?
    it's kinda hard to be love struck when the only issues that were lovey duvey were #1 and 7. but i agree with you, pak's superman is the best with soule right behind him

I'm all about Pak/Kuder's Action Comics. It's still early in their run, but I actually prefer it to Morrison's Action.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I think Lobdell's book was pretty close to Morrison's CHAMPION OF THE OPPRESSED.

I agree that Soule's is nothing like it though, and seems to be more of whatever Geoff Johns has been doing in JUSTICE LEAGUE. Johns works on his own continuity though.
    Lobdell for me has nothing with Morrison Superman...for me he has nothing of Superman at all to be frankly.

Pak got a better Superman, but i'm not really impressed with jis actual run on Action.

Unchained for me it's the one that sells superman better

All-New Member

[QUOTE=Blacksun;6

Unchained for me it's the one that sells superman better[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know how each superman title ranks in sales??? I reckoned that Lobdell's title is still going strong despite its quality(?)

Pak and Kuder's Action has been one of the best comics I've read in a long while! They're kind of doing what Waid did with Daredevil. Taking the fun of the Silver Age and combining it with modern sensibilities. Which was what Grant and Quitely did on All Star. Obviously All Star is in a league of its own as one of the best comics ever created but if your book can resemble All Star in the slightest you're doing something right.

If they can get Unchained back on track and released in the same month as one of Johns and Romita's books, Superman could have the two top spots on the monthly sales charts!

Superboy is going to require a complete tear down job. Jon Lane Kent is such a horrible character. Please bring back Connor!