Extraordinary Member

Default How strong would Aquaman need to be?

Aquaman is typically shown to be A-Okay hanging around at the bottom of the Ocean, swimming around like any normal person.

As recent news has shown us, the pressure at the ocean depths are no joke.

So, how tough does Aquaman need to be in order to survive those pressures and move around in them?

And is his general depiction in line with the kind of durability and strength that would require?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Aquaman is typically shown to be A-Okay hanging around at the bottom of the Ocean, swimming around like any normal person.

As recent news has shown us, the pressure at the ocean depths are no joke.

So, how tough does Aquaman need to be in order to survive those pressures and move around in them?

And is his general depiction in line with the kind of durability and strength that would require?
    I don't know for sure but it may well not be a matter of how much strength or even how much durability in the conventional "How much impact?" sense. We humans can take several G's of pressure but we don't do so well with "no pressure". There are creatures that live at extreme depths but they explode if they get anywhere close to the lack of pressure at the surface of the oceans.

The real lack of reality is a being like Aquaman being able to survive both in the deepest regions of the oceans AND on the surface. The same way in which it is equally unreal that a being could take the pressure of an atmosphere like Krypton's and yet not explode in the Earth's atmosphere or in outer space.

Because: comic books.
    Power with Girl is better.

At least in Post Crisis, Aquaman himself states he's fine in the depths basically due to brickish durability alone if memory serves. So it's portrayed as a toughness thing.

Arthur is a respectable brick in his own right. He can muscle around giant vehicles and fight h2h with Grodd and other folks with super strength. Folks on his level should be fine if exposed to ocean pressures.

It's not like the Titanic is a pancake or anything like that. Balancing an internal environment is tricky. Metals and rocks and things that are dropped into the depths don't get mangled.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Water pressure is only a problem for the gas in our systems. Remember basic physics: solids and liquids are incompressible. Gasses are NOT. So if you were teleported from sea level to 4000 meters deep, the pressure would basically crush your chest because the air in there isn't pressurized to 480 atmospheres. If you could breathe from a tank that had enough pressure to function at those depths, you would not be crushed.

You'd still die very painfully because the nitrogen would get forced into your bloodstream AND oxygen gets toxic to us at those kinds of pressures. If you didn't die flat out, decompression to surface pressure would take weeks or months.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Astonishing Member

I guess the current fish, crustaceans, mollusks like octopuses are are super powered. You can see videos of them at 3,000 feet down all munching on a dead whale. Even the deepest dives have found fish swimming around. Glad those super powered fish don't decide to attack! It's not super powers but other biological and physical adaptations: a little google vision:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...t%20is%20under.

So these adaptations don't really make you super duper.