Thread: Jerry Siegel

All-New Member

Default Jerry Siegel

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this but, what comics did Jerry Siegel write stories for? I know of Action Comics and he and Joe did a few stuff in the early issues of Detective Comics. I also know he must have written stories in Adventure Comics.

He wrote some Human Torch stories (as Joe Carter) in Strange Tales and Angel stories in Ka-Zar and Marvel Tales.

edit: I feel like I read that maybe he wrote some (pretty bad) Daredevil stories, but I may be confusing him with someone else or it may have been his Human Torch that stunk.

edit 2: Here is a list of his work at comicbookdb.com. That site is a great resource.
    Last edited by mars; 09-07-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Incredible Member

And here is a similar list from the Grand Comics Database.

Bonus: Jerry's entry in Bails' Who's Who
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Retired

Yikes, such a Marvel bias in fandom these days. Yes, Siegel did some work for Marvel, but that seems more like a footnote to his stellar career rather than the lead line.

As the databases will show, Siegel did a lot for DC even before Superman got published--Spy, Federal Men, Slam Bradley, Radio Squad, Dr. Occult. After Superman and Lois Lane, Siegel created Robotman, the Spectre, the Star-Spangled Kid and Stripesy.

After being forced to leave DC, he created Funnyman.

When he returned to DC he contributed a lot to the expansion of the Superman universe. He was the main writer on Tales of the Bizarro World--a very funny feature. And then he split writing with Edmond Hamilton on Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes--where Siegel introduced some new members to the group.

In the '60s, he also worked for Archie, writing their super-hero comics. I really loved his work on these characters.