Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Only if you are going to completely oversimplify what The Sentry actually is.
    I mean for a long time that is what he was used as, and then Bendis utilized him being controlled by Normy. Which is basically a plot from multiple Superman arcs

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I mean for a long time that is what he was used as, and then Bendis utilized him being controlled by Normy. Which is basically a plot from multiple Superman arcs
    Bendis is very bad with mental health. *sigh*

I couldn't disagree more with it supposedly not mattering that Sentry was raceswapped and that the person playing him doesn't fit the physical bill. It absolutely matters.

Sentry is a character of contrast. Bob Reynolds is a middleagled, out of shape guy who preferes cartoons over the news. Who drinks and has dreams about being someone important. Someone larger than life itself.

And if he wasn't a reality bender that's who would be: A past his prime mentally ill guy. But he can bend reality so he turns himself into something that can only come from day dreams:

A 6 foot tall, muscular golden god with blonde hair and blue eyes. He turns into something many people think of when they imagine an angel: impossibly beautiful with long blonde hair. Dark Avengers Sentry captured that look perfectly. There Sentry was more beautiful than all of the women around him. And it makes sense because the Sentry is Bobs power fantasy.

The look of the character is SO important. Sentry is supposed to be literal perfection. The archetypical aristocrat rich guy who has many corpses in his closet.

Steven Yeun is a good looking dude and I'm sure there are stand-ins for Asian angels in mythology but that's just not the Sentry IMO. I think that's the biggest miscast we've had so far, no joke. I don't doubt that Yeun will do a great job, he always does. But as soon as you put a 5'9 tall dude into Sentrys position, you don't do the character any justice.

The idea is: Why would you ever want to be an one-armed short order cook when you can be the Sentry? And that is not just about power - it's also about the looks. Why would you want to be Brendan Fraser from The Whale when you could be Brad Pitt from Troy? Why would you want to be Whoopi Goldberg when you could be Rhianna? And I'm afraid that Yeun doesn't do the Sentry version justice in the looks department.

Quote Originally Posted by ENTRYS View Post
    I couldn't disagree more with it supposedly not mattering that Sentry was raceswapped and that the person playing him doesn't fit the physical bill. It absolutely matters.

Sentry is a character of contrast. Bob Reynolds is a middleagled, out of shape guy who preferes cartoons over the news. Who drinks and has dreams about being someone important. Someone larger than life itself.
    Asian people can be all that.

And if he wasn't a reality bender that's who would be: A past his prime mentally ill guy. But he can bend reality so he turns himself into something that can only come from day dreams:

A 6 foot tall, muscular golden god with blonde hair and blue eyes. He turns into something many people think of when they imagine an angel: impossibly beautiful with long blonde hair. Dark Avengers Sentry captured that look perfectly. There Sentry was more beautiful than all of the women around him. And it makes sense because the Sentry is Bobs power fantasy.
    Hell, his Sentry form can still have blond hair. Nothing you're listing her requires that he be white. Just powerful and muscular and maybe blond.

The look of the character is SO important. Sentry is supposed to be literal perfection. The archetypical aristocrat rich guy who has many corpses in his closet.
    Nothing says he can't be asian and 'perfect'.

Steven Yeun is a good looking dude and I'm sure there are stand-ins for Asian angels in mythology but that's just not the Sentry IMO. I think that's the biggest miscast we've had so far, no joke. I don't doubt that Yeun will do a great job, he always does. But as soon as you put a 5'9 tall dude into Sentrys position, you don't do the character any justice.
    If they want to, they can make him look 'bigger'. Steve Yeun will do fine, and he's hardly miscast as the awkawrd, anxious Bob Reynolds in spirit. It really depends on what aspects of the character they're choosing to focus on.

The idea is: Why would you ever want to be an one-armed short order cook when you can be the Sentry? And that is not just about power - it's also about the looks. Why would you want to be Brendan Fraser from The Whale when you could be Brad Pitt from Troy? Why would you want to be Whoopi Goldberg when you could be Rhianna? And I'm afraid that Yeun doesn't do the Sentry version justice in the looks department.
    Kinda yikes here, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Kinda yikes here, dude.
    Are we gonna pretend that Sentry doesn't look better than Bob? Are we gonna pretend that Rhianna doesn't look better than Whoopi Goldberg? Tom Hiddleston doesn't have the looks to be Thor. Yet Tom Hiddleston was in talks to play Thor and was recording some test scenes.

Also, stop being weird and trying to make things about identity politics. I'm talking about concepts.

BANNED

I dont care what race Sentry is, what bothers me more is that he is a bit short for the role but whatever. The thing that really bothers me is that he will play from what we know so far a villain... in a movie with a bunch of street tiers. Now this certainly isn't ideal but i am hoping it wont be as simple as they just band together and kick his ass. Although i am 99% sure it's gonna be just that.

Are we gonna pretend that Sentry doesn't look better than Bob? Are we gonna pretend that Rhianna doesn't look better than Whoopi Goldberg? Tom Hiddleston doesn't have the looks to be Thor. Yet Tom Hiddleston was in talks to play Thor and was recording some test scenes.
    That's not really the point.

Also, stop being weird and trying to make things about identity politics. I'm talking about concepts.
    The person being weird about things is you.

That's not really the point.
    That is ABSOLUTELY the point. That is one of the most important aspects of the Sentry and some of the things that make him relatable. He starts off looking like a delusional nobody who daydreams about being the perfect hero and interacting with Marvel heroes. And the contrast between Bob and Sentry is massive in the looks department. Sentry looks like someone who won the physique lottery. Bob could like that but he lets himself go so he doesn't. Steven Yeun didn't win the physique lottery. He is on the shorter side and naturally doesn't have the frame so you'll at the very least have to work with a muscle suit.

They absolutely should have cast a younger, fitter and equally talented blonde actor whom you can lock into a 10 year long contract. And then Thor-fat-suited that guy up for the Bob scenes.

The person being weird about things is you.
    You see how in the first part of this message I at no point mention race and only talk about physical characteristics? Sentry should be the default look of the actor like Chris Hemsworth is the default look of Thor. Steven Yeuns default look doesn't fit the Sentry and you have to start somehow saving it by dying his hair blonde, putting him into a muscle suit, making him hover all of the time so that he towers over some of the 6'2" tall actors etc.

Why am I complaining?

If they're already failing to execute or even grasp the base concepts of a potentially important character, how can I expect them to do a good job on the movie? I'm sick and tired of mediocre Marvel movies since people started switching things up during the last phase – often switching things up for the worse.

Please explain how Steven Yeun is unattractive.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Please explain how Steven Yeun is unattractive.
    He isn't. I said he was a good-looking dude. What I'm saying is that he is not built like a superhero. He doesn't have the genetics. He is too short and he has too small of a frame.

He isn't. I said he was a good-looking dude. What I'm saying is that he is not built like a superhero. He doesn't have the genetics. He is too short and he has too small of a frame.
    Yes. And Marvel is well known for not having their actors hit the gym...

Sounds to me like he'll make a great Bob.

You forgot the steroids. Very important part.

Hitting the gym won't make you grow 10 centimeters or change the structural frame of your body. Which is why - again - I'm specifically pointing out genetics.

Hitting the gym won't make you grow 10 centimeters or change the structural frame of your body. Which is why - again - I'm specifically pointing out genetics.
    If only there were camera tricks to make someone look taller than they actually are. Oh well.