Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Rumor is that the Thunderbolts movie has been cancelled by Feige, so this could be a case of outdated synergy before the title is even out.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monari View Post
    Rumor is that the Thunderbolts movie has been cancelled by Feige, so this could be a case of outdated synergy before the title is even out.
    I wonder if the reportedly poor reviews for the upcoming Marvels movie gave the studio pause? Are we finally seeing the end of the line for superhero movies???

Quote Originally Posted by Monari View Post
    Don't beelieve rumours.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I'm not quite sure what to say about some of these costume ideas.

Here's Farhad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And here is Mallory. I'm not certain if these are final or preliminary designs.

Mallory's is less objecctionable, but it looks like she's wearing a pair of pants for a cape.

Amazing Member

they look so musty and bad, what is the point of even raceswapping, genderswapping and whatever woke tropes-wapping pile of dung that is happening to the sentry right now, like race and gender is one of the last reasons why hes not popular right now, and this is gonna make it worse for everyone who were actual fans(altough that already happened with KiB so this is just a another turd on his "legacy")

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Mallory's is less objectionable, but it looks like she's wearing a pair of pants for a cape.
    It's the Ms. Marvel scarf all over again; not the most original look at this point. It's the kind of uninspired look that happens to a throwaway character. Safe bet that Mallory won't have the Sentry powers for long, or she'll be dead by the end of the second issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterDebater1 View Post
    they look so musty and bad, what is the point of even raceswapping, genderswapping ....
    In fairness, the Sentry powers will go to non-BIPOCs as well, so it really isn't just about diversity. What they're doing is retreading an old, discarded tire. After all, wasn't Captain Universe created to be anyone at any time -- and in some cases, multiple people at the same time? Maybe instead of dropping a new Sentry series, they should mothball him and push Captain Universe, if the plan is to feature a nigh-omnipotent source of power that embraces all communities and demographics within the Marvel Universe. That character already exists, use it. (Some rebranding may be necessary, because Captain Universe is kind of a hokey name, but use it.)

I guess I might as well post an image of Timeless Power Man, who also gets the Sentry's power (as well the Hulk's and the Iron Fist's powers) in a far distant future. This is going to be a tough year for Sentry purists.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I guess I might as well post an image of Timeless Power Man, who also gets the Sentry's power (as well the Hulk's and the Iron Fist's powers) in a far distant future. This is going to be a tough year for Sentry purists.

Marvel is creative it seems.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

*heavy sigh*

"Sometimes, dead is better."

I think the more flawed characters are the harder it gets to swap them out. And Sentry totally falls into that category. For example, swapping Thor in some way, shape or form? Not that big of a deal because you can tell interesting stories from a new characters perspective in Thor's big shoes. Thors personality doesn't necessarily make the character. But swapping the Hulk? Wolverine? Daredevil? Absolutely does not work in my opinion. Especially not in modern day and age when you have X-23 replacing Wolverine and Amadeus Cho replacing Hulk. It's not about Wolverine or Hulk, it's about Logan and Bruce Banner. These flawed people sell the superhero persona. You can't make something like Immortal Hulk with Amadeus Cho because it doesn't have a believable base to back it up. Amadeus is not that kind of a guy, while Bruce Banner is.

That's how I view the Sentry and that's why I dislike splitting Sentry into a bunch of characters and diversifying those. I don't mind BIPOC in this situation. What I mind is the modern way of Marvel and how they'd NEVER write a flawed, broken and maybe even downright dangerous Sentry offspring who also just happens to be red / brown / black. The evil Sentry in the story will be white because that's safe.

The worst thing that can happen at the end of this story is for it to end with a new, Asian Sentry who happens to be flawless. He just gets Sentrys power because Bob sees how amazing and worthy this new character is and then Bob gives up everything willingly knowing that the world is in safe hands. And then the world ends up being in safe Sentry hands. And at that point you've absolutely ruined the Sentry character. There is no more appeal left. You would think Marvel knows that, but honestly at this point I'm not even so sure anymore.

I've still preordered the book because I'll support anything with the Sentry in it... but boy, do I expect the book to be bad. Too many red flags.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ENTRYS View Post
    Especially not in modern day and age when you have X-23 replacing Wolverine and Amadeus Cho replacing Hulk. It's not about Wolverine or Hulk, it's about Logan and Bruce Banner. These flawed people sell the superhero persona. You can't make something like Immortal Hulk with Amadeus Cho because it doesn't have a believable base to back it up. Amadeus is not that kind of a guy, while Bruce Banner is.
    Both of those two have held solo runs. That were not about them trying to be Logan or Bruce. Same with Kate Bishop, that collection of Lanterns, Flashes, Robins and whatever version of Dr Fate out there now.

If we are assuming being flawed more products- Black Panther has missed that memo the last 8 years.

I don't mind BIPOC in this situation. What I mind is the modern way of Marvel and how they'd NEVER write a flawed, broken and maybe even downright dangerous Sentry offspring who also just happens to be red / brown / black. The evil Sentry in the story will be white because that's safe.
    The reason you see that is because aside from X-Men, Static, Cage, Batman & Aquaman -how many villains of color even get used? Let alone be viewed as a serious threat.

What event has a BIPOC been the main threat to everyone???
    RARELY are BIPOC written to their protentional.

That is an editorial issue.

Because there are writers who would do it but it's editorial that allows it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    In fairness, the Sentry powers will go to non-BIPOCs as well, so it really isn't just about diversity. What they're doing is retreading an old, discarded tire. After all, wasn't Captain Universe created to be anyone at any time -- and in some cases, multiple people at the same time? Maybe instead of dropping a new Sentry series, they should mothball him and push Captain Universe, if the plan is to feature a nigh-omnipotent source of power that embraces all communities and demographics within the Marvel Universe. That character already exists, use it. (Some rebranding may be necessary, because Captain Universe is kind of a hokey name, but use it.)
    The only non-BIPOC character it's going to is the blond kid who screams "I am evil and will become the villain" in every single on-panel appearance so far.