Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    The question I have is: Why do Marvel put the Sentry in the main Marvel universe to begin with? From what I heard, The Sentry was meant to be a one-off gimmick character.
    Because his mini sold well and was well received and he was a strong character. The ending was deliberately ambiguous to leave room for more.

The problem is that they largely bungled it.

Great idea to cast a 5'9 Asian guy of average build to play a ripped 6'2 white blond guy. Why even pretend it's the same character?
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Great idea to cast a 5'9 Asian guy of average build to play a ripped 6'2 white blond guy. Why even pretend it's the same character?
    That's not really the issue here. I don't care if movie-Bob is a different ethnicity. While I think you can say that Sentry represents a certain kind of look at white, middle aged nostalgia and mediocracy, by and large the core of the character are his mental struggles and foibles, and those don't have a racial element. If anything, using an Asian actor to talk about mental health has merit, as the culture of silence about those issues are also a well-known struggle within that community.

And here's the thing: MCU Sentry will never be the same character as comic Sentry, nor should he be. Let them be different.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 11-17-2023 at 07:48 AM.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    That's not really the issue here. I don't care if movie-Bob is a different ethnicity. While I think you can say that Sentry represents a certain kind of look at white, middle aged nostalgia and mediocracy, by and large the core of the character are his mental struggles and foibles, and those don't have a racial element. If anything, using an Asian actor to talk about mental has merit. The culture of silence about mental health, something that's also inherent to Bob's character is also a well-known struggle within that community.

And here's the thing: MCU Sentry will never be the same character as comic Sentry, nor should he be. Let them be different.
    Absolutely agreed.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

That's not really the issue here. I don't care if movie-Bob is a different ethnicity. While I think you can say that Sentry represents a certain kind of look at white, middle aged nostalgia and mediocracy, by and large the core of the character are his mental struggles and foibles, and those don't have a racial element. If anything, using an Asian actor to talk about mental health has merit, as the culture of silence about those issues are also a well-known struggle within that community.

People see it as "woke agenda" raceswapping and being comics accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Those people are very silly.

Some cynicism can be warranted with regards to synergy but Steve Yeun'll do great as Bob if they give him good material to work with.

But it will be named Bob Reynolds at least? Maybe they will call him Snetry but the civil identity could be totally another one. There is no guarantee than Steve Yeun is gonna play Bob Reynols even if he is going to play Sentry.
    For Hollywood writers these least known characters are powers and suits where they can change anything they want at whim.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Those people are very silly.

Some cynicism can be warranted with regards to synergy but Steve Yeun'll do great as Bob if they give him good material to work with.
    I didn't watch The Walking Dead but he was great playing a traumatized since childhood character in Jordan Peele's Nope.

The solicitation for the 3rd Sentry issue is out, and I'm just a tiny bit optimistic they seem to have my same gut feeling about Doctor Strange being a good character choice to intervene at some point:

https://www.gamesradar.com/marvel-co...ations-covers/

When Misty Knight and Jessica Jones uncover a connection between the new Sentries and the occult, they call upon the only people who might be able to make sense of it – Stephen and Clea Strange. But why do the Sentries they’ve managed to identify seem to be disappearing?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Perfectly stated.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I was thinking the same thing, isn't he supposed to be a warped Superman in the Marvel Universe?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, isn't he supposed to be a warped Superman in the Marvel Universe?
    White Bob Reynolds was always supposed to start as a potbellied middle aged guy with mental and addiction issues that then became a ripped and hugely powerful character that could even defy death. His appeal is evident.

Ultimate Member

Not one person in any tv show or movie is anywhere near the same nor comic accurate.

No matter how much crying the echo chamber of entitlement will say.

Because the writers in those other fields are NOT pandering to the comic book cult.

And in a LOT of cases the tv/movie does not match the comic one (outside of outfits) because of the lack of usage in comics.

There is a reason folk prefer Teen Titans Go and Doom Patrol Cyborg over his comic version-who cries over Daddy and man versus machine mess.

Kite Man in Harley Adventures is way more developed than his comic version.

Same with Aqualad.
    Same with Bumblebee.
    Same with a lot of folks.

You mean the same folks who IGNORED a lot of these guys and have not read a Marvel or DC book since Bill Clinton was President?

Now all the sudden want to act like they are fans and can't tell you a THING about the character?

The same folks who would scream woke agenda if Marvel created a new Asian character with these powers.

Along with complaining about Marvel for doing a Bob Reynolds as Sentry comic in the first place.

In other words complain to just complain.

Kirkman could be taking the piss, but..

“My good friend Steven Yeun is playing the Sentry in a movie," Kirkman said. “Yeah, he called me, he went in for a costume fitting... I hope I’m not... I don’t think this is a spoiler or anything that will get anybody in trouble. I don’t know, maybe. We’ll see. I don’t care. I don’t work for Marvel. What are they going to do to me?"
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...ff8867c8&ei=21

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Along with complaining about Marvel for doing a Bob Reynolds as Sentry comic in the first place.
    Yeah, there's gonna be a lot of people who pretend to care about old Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Only if you are going to completely oversimplify what The Sentry actually is.