Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ENTRYS View Post
    I'm still contemplating if I should do a video on the first issue of this mini and go on a massive, unhinged rant. But my biggest takeaway is this:

This trash doodoo garbage book has no business having the title "The Sentry". This is not a Sentry book. The titular character appears in 2 (!) small panels in this 29-page comic. And those two panels are 1-to-1 redraws from a comic in 2007 and one in 2010. That is ridiculous. A solo "Sentry comic" (the first one after 5-6 years) and the first 7 pages are wasted on no ones favorite characters Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Misty Knight. Only to then get a couple more pages with a new character who gets her nails painted and talks about where Spider-Man takes his shits.

I'm not mad. I'm not frustrated. I'm simply shocked by how little of a Sentry book that is. And besides not only being that, I really have to wonder: Who is this for? Who is the target audience? In my own eyes, I'm the biggest Sentry fan on the planet. And I don't like this book with "The Sentry" on it. It has NO redeeming qualities in that regard. Not even I am big enough of a simp-shill that I would honestly recommend this to anyone to get into the Sentry.

This truly shouldn't have been called "The Sentry". This book should have had another name. Name it "Watchpeople" (pun intended). Sentry had a Watchtower and a Watchdog, right? And the selling point of the book then is how normal people deal with getting ultimate power. That's certainly not something that hasn't been done before. It has and it's probably been done better than what Jason Loo came up with. But at least you don't lure people in with false expectations. And when I read "the Sentry" I kinda have certain expectations. And none of those basic expectations has been met, because instead I got a lady getting her fingernails painted, an ugly weirdo talking about "punching bigots" (Loo isn't even trying to hide it) and two of the most basic characters in the Marvel universe doing an investigation.

This is a 0/10. It's not a Sentry book. It has no redeeming qualities in that regard.

This could have been a 5/10 Watchpeople book. Way too overstuffed with boring stuff like people talking to each other like robots, the classic of characters gaining super-powers and not wanting those (the biggest relatability-breaker in comics), white men bad and HORRIBLE selections on what to focus on: Jessica and Luke talk about her new job location more than the empowered characters reflect on what just happened to them – WHICH SHOULD BE THE INTERESTING PART!!! The only saving grace of the book is the good art, pretty damn good coloring and the fact that an arm gets ripped off. But again, too many minus points for everything the book does wrong and that is plenty.

PS: Ryan Topper is the best character in the book. I hope he kills everyone.

I 100 percent agree, the only good thing about this is ryan killing the faux sentrys

Amazing Member

I'm still contemplating if I should do a video on the first issue of this mini and go on a massive, unhinged rant. But my biggest takeaway is this:

do it, its been a whhile since the channnels being updated, and i need some criticism for this pile of garbage

Astonishing Member

So with 1/4 of the story out, and this expected to be predictable, what will be the rest of the story mostly be about?

I expect Ryan rampaging against a couple other Sentries and terrorizing Misty Knight and Jessica until the Avengers and/or the Stranges get involved.

The Stranges will at least get involved to resolve the power allocation mystery. Not sure what to think about that yet.

Mallory will embrace her Sentressness to at least try to save the day against Ryan (at worst she'll spend most of the time in the Moon, shades of World War Hulk with couch potato Bob).

Only one Legacy Sentry will remain, probably tying in to movie Thunderbolts, which I don't expect will turn out well at least with audiences, if even Marvels bombed in theaters.

Mighty Member

Sooo average. I stopped after twenty pages. This kind of comics is why the comics industry is dying: the writing is dull and robotic, we don't care about the characters (it's more a comics about Misty Knight and Jessica Jones than "The sentry") and the writer think that a lot of diversity will replace good writing. It's for what audience ? who want to read this kind of politically correct but boring comics ?
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Astonishing Member

The only saving grace of the book is the good art, pretty damn good coloring and the fact that an arm gets ripped off.
    I'm surprised you went easy on the art, I thought this is the Sentry miniseries with the lesser art (if one still wants to count it as a Sentry mini). It gets the job done, but that's it. Covers are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Sooo average. I stopped after twenty pages. This kind of comics is why the comics industry is dying: the writing is dull and robotic, we don't care about the characters (it's more a comics about Misty Knight and Jessica Jones than "The sentry") and the writer think that a lot of diversity will replace good writing. It's for what audience ? who want to read this kind of politically correct but boring comics ?
    I don't know if this is among the most poorly written Sentry comics, but dialogue like calling Jessica Jones an angel made me scratch my head. Spending so much time at the beginning catching up with her and Luke's status quo at one point went from refresher to make me wonder if Jessica or the Purple Man kid could become a Sentry. Unless it's somehow intentional, both Mallory and Ryan having a Hulk fight vision seems lazy when already people expect flashbacks is the only way we'll see Bob again.

And Misty Knight being in this and the Lemire's miniseries is funny when you see how back then she asked Iron Man to call at least the Avengers to contain Bob when here she and Jessica Jones are making the same Iron Man mistake of trying to do it all by themselves. And it's not like they expect it to be a walk in the park when Knight already called Ryan and Mallory Omega-level threats and Mallory is Quicksilver fast and can hide in the Moon while not knowing what's going on.
    Last edited by Wildling; 12-06-2023 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post

Mallory will embrace her Sentressness to at least try to save the day against Ryan (at worst she'll spend most of the time in the Moon, shades of World War Hulk with couch potato Bob)
    Right. Mallory represents Bob's fear of his powers. Ryan represents Bob's capacity for violence/desire for goryglory. Farhad represents his capacity for good. In this sense, these people representing different aspects of Bob, there *is* a thematic through-line that connects with Bob through this 'reign of the Sentries' stuff. We don't really know enough yet to further cast where the story is going to go. Ryan's a Sentry fanboy who only really cares about 'feats', pretty clearly, so he strikes me as a character designed to indict a certain segment of the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Oh for god's sake. The diverse characters are the least of the problems here.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Oh for god's sake. The diverse characters are the least of the problems here.
    Yes, it's what I tried to say. It's cool to have diversity, but diversity will always be a plus and will not replace good character development and good ideas; If your diversity is just here to hide the fact that you don't have an interesting and compelling story, it will just seem pandering.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I wonder if they ever considered having different existing heroes/villains gain Sentry's powers, at least temporarily, before they finally went with creating new characters for that purpose. I'm assuming that Bob actually made a conscious decision as to who gets his powers, right? Why not give it to known quantities?

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'm assuming that Bob actually made a conscious decision as to who gets his powers, right?
    Highly unlikely.

With Stephen and Clea Strange appearing in the third issue I'll assume it will go something like this: "Ey yo, Misty and Jessica, we fucked up. Like big time. Like you actually wouldn't even believe it big time. We fought Zombie Sentry who was possessed by a million crazy ghosts. We morphed into one to stand a chance against him. We unshackled all of the ghosts inside him which made his body explode. Upon doing so it looks like we also dispersed his energy to boring women, ugly muties and psychopathic white men. I hope that clears up the situation. Good luck! We're gonna head back to Strange Mansion and have stranger sex."

Highly unlikely.

With Stephen and Clea Strange appearing in the third issue I'll assume it will go something like this: "Ey yo, Misty and Jessica, we fucked up. Like big time. Like you actually wouldn't even believe it big time. We fought Zombie Sentry who was possessed by a million crazy ghosts. We morphed into one to stand a chance against him. We unshackled all of the ghosts inside him which made his body explode. Upon doing so it looks like we also dispersed his energy to boring women, ugly muties and psychopathic white men. I hope that clears up the situation. Good luck! We're gonna head back to Strange Mansion and have stranger sex."
    Jesus Christ, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Jesus Christ, dude.
    Bro, why are you constantly crying?

My post was short, sweet, to the point and factually correct. It is up to you how much emphasis you want to put on my eccentricities.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Highly unlikely.

Well, honestly, this isn't the worst story that I've ever read.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I wonder if they ever considered having different existing heroes/villains gain Sentry's powers, at least temporarily, before they finally went with creating new characters for that purpose. I'm assuming that Bob actually made a conscious decision as to who gets his powers, right? Why not give it to known quantities?
    Isn't Luke Cage getting Sentry powers in a far future or different continuity? I really don't think that would break any ground in the current series, people already brought up Captain Universe about this. The thing about Bob deciding anything here is, this series is determined to establish Bob died in the Knull event, and if we follow that event closely, Bob willingly decided to move on to Valhalla, only to vanish from it before the Cates regime writing or directing all that came to a dead end as far as I know. Will this series even bother to dredge up any of that within 4 issues? The fact these new people are not only getting Sentry powers (which from what we know hung around after Knull killed him just like the mutant powers House of M Wanda shunted off weren't actually gone forever), but also getting flashbacks of his life (at least 2 of these people didn't know Sentry at all) suggests either Sentry's consciousness is somehow tapping into this, or his psychic powers are strong enough to include or keep his memories, the mutant character was being overwhelmed by reading other people's minds.
    Last edited by Wildling; 12-07-2023 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Isn't Luke Cage getting Sentry powers in a far future or different continuity? I really don't think that would break any ground in the current series, people already brought up Captain Universe about this. The thing about Bob deciding anything here is, this series is determined to establish Bob died in the Knull event, and if we follow that event closely, Bob willingly decided to move on to Valhalla, only to vanish from it before the Cates regime writing or directing all that came to a dead end as far as I know. Will this series even bother to dredge up any of that within 4 issues? The fact these new people are not only getting Sentry powers (which from what we know hung around after Knull killed him just like the mutant powers House of M Wanda shunted off weren't actually gone forever), but also getting flashbacks of his life (at least 2 of these people didn't know Sentry at all) suggests either Sentry's consciousness is somehow tapping into this, or his psychic powers are strong enough to include or keep his memories, the mutant character was being overwhelmed by reading other people's minds.
    I hope Loo uses those memories provide us with some insight into Bob that's been sorely lacking for years now.