Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Since it states people are manifesting both his powers and memories, I would not be surprised if something similar this actually happens.
    And in the meantime I'd expect a character would become a "Void" instead of a "Sentry", maybe pulling a Cyborg Superman.

https://screenrant.com/marvel-superm...logy-complete/

Marvel’s Superman Has One Final Story In His Unfinished Trilogy
    Sentry Returns New Powers Dead

The Sentry is about to make his grand return to the Marvel Universe later this year, in a new miniseries that will see his powers spreading throughout the globe, but according to the character’s co-creator Paul Jenkins, he still has one untold story that would act as the final part of a trilogy for Marvel’s Superman.

Jenkins, who created Sentry alongside artist Jae Lee, spoke at the 2023 Dragon Con panel “Marvel’s Sentry: A Superhero Identity Crisis,” about the previous installments of the character's title he has written, as well as revealing his idea for the completion of a proposed trilogy.
    The Sentry #1 Main Cover

As Jenkins put it, hs third Sentry run would find the character reckoning with being, "kind of a god."
    Paul Jenkins Has One Sentry Story Left To Tell
    The Sentry #1 Cover

Paul Jenkins' appearance at the “Marvel’s Sentry: A Superhero Identity Crisis” panel at 2023 Dragon Con was full of insights about the character's origin, as well as thoughts on Sentry's place in the MCU. One of the most tantalizing things to come out of the panel, however, was Jenkins' discussion of his plans for a Sentry trilogy, with the final installment still untold:
    “The first (story) was all about the hero rediscovering his powers and asking, ‘Is this real?’ The second one was about self-discovery, figuring out who he is and what he’s going to do with these powers. And the third installment would have been about his status as this kind of god. What happens (to the Sentry) when he transcends humanity?”

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Well, at least we have it confirmed from Jenkins himself that Sentry's evolutionary yellow brick road inevitably ends in godhood.

And yet people snap at me all of the time whenever I suggest that Marvel is all too predictable in its bent.

Spectacular Member

I say let Jenkins finish his trilogy, and then just finish with the character.

As things are, I sincerely wish that the character was one-and-done after the original "hoax" series. Ever since Bendis' brought him back, there has been too much bad outweighing the good.

Amazing Member

yeah, i would be down for Jenkins' third story. the original series caught me hook, line, and sinker, so i'm in deep.

Spectacular Member

Shame that Marvel did not think this through. Jenkins could have written of Bob's ascent to Godhood, and the accidental bestowing of power onto the new Sentry that we're apparently getting anyway. Could have gone in a whole troubled God/disciple Shazam type direction.

Astonishing Member

The solicitation for issue 2 is out, and it suggests one of the Sentries will indeed go Cyborg Superman/3rd mini Scout/Void, and the cover suggests a confrontation with the Avengers. Covers can be lying liars, but that already happened in 2 out 3 Sentry minis.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    The solicitation for issue 2 is out, and it suggests one of the Sentries will indeed go Cyborg Superman/3rd mini Scout/Void, and the cover suggests a confrontation with the Avengers. Covers can be lying liars, but that already happened in 2 out 3 Sentry minis.
    Nah, we already know that the Sentry offspring white guy will be evil. Just look at the Ozymandias looking MOFO:

newsentrydesign3.jpg

And the Sentry offspring BIPOC saints will all try to lecture him because that's how modern US writers roll nowadays.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...wers-new-hands

My expectations for the series are getting lower and lower with each passing day.

Astonishing Member

It would have been nice if Jenny from the Lemire miniseries was the one becoming Sentress.

Better still, why not resurrect Watchdog? If you're gonna do the whole Superman family/Reign of Superman thing, you gotta have a Krypto equivalent. Or did they already target another pet for that job?

Quote Originally Posted by ENTRYS View Post
    Nah, we already know that the Sentry offspring white guy will be evil. Just look at the Ozymandias looking MOFO:

newsentrydesign3.jpg

And the Sentry offspring BIPOC saints will all try to lecture him because that's how modern US writers roll nowadays.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...wers-new-hands

My expectations for the series are getting lower and lower with each passing day.
    Ironically, this begs the questions, if the Sentry had originally been created as BIPOC, would he be nearly as popular or well-loved as he is now? And if he had been BIPOC all along, what would be the plot of this latest series given the penchants and perceived sensibilities of current writers? Finally, would the readership's enthusiasm be the same?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Ironically, this begs the questions, if the Sentry had originally been created as BIPOC, would he be nearly as popular or well-loved as he is now? And if he had been BIPOC all along, what would be the plot of this latest series given the penchants and perceived sensibilities of current writers? Finally, would the readership's enthusiasm be the same?
    In his first and third minis he's supposed to be a middle-aged guy with a mediocre life, with mental and substance abuse issues on top of that for the first. In that context he could happen to not be a white dude, but without knowing/remembering the full behind the scenes details of his creation, IIRC he was intended to be a forgotten Silver Age hero going by the Stan Lee hoax they marketed it with, and well the comics from those days can be way different than what they are now, or even at the beginning of the century when the first Sentry comic came out.
    Last edited by Wildling; 10-25-2023 at 02:22 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Better still, why not resurrect Watchdog? If you're gonna do the whole Superman family/Reign of Superman thing, you gotta have a Krypto equivalent. Or did they already target another pet for that job?
    Watchdog doesn't even need resurrection, he never died and should be somewhere in theory but in practice he's been memory/canon holed, just like Bob's robobutler CLOC, who in the infamous funeral issue said Sentry would return while looking HAL 9000 ominous, before going into the sunset.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    In his first and third minis he's supposed to be a middle-aged guy with a mediocre life, with mental and substance abuse issues on top of that for the first. In that context he could happen to not be a white dude, but without knowing/remembering the full behind the scenes details of his creation, IIRC he was intended to be a forgotten Silver Age hero going by the Stan Lee hoax they marketed it with, and well the comics from those days can be way different than what they are now, or even at the beginning of the century when the first Sentry comic came out.
    I think representation is important and I don't generally give race-swaps a second thought, but there is something about the visual of the Sentry with his flowing blond hair and massive stature that I think gets lost by changing his race. It'd be like giving Thor dark hair or something. There are some characters where their main visual component is their costume or something and you can change the characters physical characteristics while still having them keep their overall look. Also, Sentry is supposed to be this archetypal Silver Age icon and a majority of those characters were these kind of square-jawed white guys. I just feel like he's a character where the visual conveys a lot about him, so it's a thing where any radical alteration to his appearance takes something away from him.

I also don't believe for a second that Disney or Marvel as companies do anything for genuinely progressive or altruistic reasons, so stuff like this always strikes me as insincere and perfofmative.
    Last edited by Refrax5; 10-25-2023 at 02:36 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Guardian of Good View Post
    I sympathize A LOT with the bolded...
    Me too. As somebody with severe obsessive compulsive disorder and ADHD, I absolutely can relate to intrusive thoughts and generally having to be in a constant struggle against your own mind. Even with meds, it's a very debilitating and damaging thing and there have definitely been moments where I see myself in Bob.

That's part of what bugs me about Marvel's approach here. It seems more about obvious and performative representation because don't people that struggle with mental illness deserve representation, too? It's just not as marketable and isn't as good of PR. I always thought the Sentry was such a unique, strange character with so much potential that I can't bring myself to care about a Legacy character. Bob Reynolds is what makes Sentry interesting and relatable, not his costume.