Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Sentry - Golden Guardian of Good Appreciation 2023

Meh... I see one wasn't created for this year and so as a fan I decided. Probably the most infamous character in the comicbook community for many reasons. Many people when they see the Sentry scream "sUpErmAn rIpOfF!" or "hE'S ovErpOwErEd!" without realizing that the Sentry is really what I call a tragic character if those critics would just stop, take their time and delve into the character's mythos, where they would see a mentally-ill man(Robert Reynolds) wanting to do good, and be the hero everyone wants but instead his mental instability holds him back and sometimes causing more damage than good. To me that does NOT sounds like an overpowered character or someone who is "perfect" but instead someone who is crying out for help. Sadly, I feel some writers have not been bothered to explore his mythos and used him as plot device but I love what Lemire did with the character. All in all I think the Sentry character would be a good representation for mentally-ill in the MCU. Hopefully the rumors of him appearing in Thunderbolts are true because the character would greatly benefit from it!

Anyways, this is an appreciation thread for fellow Sentry fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Guardian of Good View Post
    Hopefully the rumors of him appearing in Thunderbolts are true because the character would greatly benefit from it!
    Gonna have to disagree with you on that, chief. If he appears, I expect he'd be a flanderized villain and a Homelander rip-off. And I think that would bleed into the comics. The Thunderbolts could easily be the worst thing to ever happen to the character because a bad portrayal could forever define him in popular culture and alter the way he is depicted in the comics for the worse.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    Gonna have to disagree with you on that, chief. If he appears, I expect he'd be a flanderized villain and a Homelander rip-off. And I think that would bleed into the comics. The Thunderbolts could easily be the worst thing to ever happen to the character because a bad portrayal could forever define him in popular culture and alter the way he is depicted in the comics for the worse.
    This is true and worrying, especially the Homelander part. However, what does the character and us Sentry fans have to lose? I hope they play up the whole mentally-ill guy becomes a villain because he doesn't know what he/she is doing trope. But yea like you said it can also go very south for the character.

Astonishing Member

I was hoping this thread was created due to new reports about comics Sentry returning, since there's been no news after the Doctor Strange comics (where Strange showing respect for Bob regardless of being manipulated as a series villain again was very promising) and for better or worse I heard Cates was off Thor comics (which seemed to be holding the character's return "hostage") for the foreseeable future.

This is true and worrying, especially the Homelander part. However, what does the character and us Sentry fans have to lose? I hope they play up the whole mentally-ill guy becomes a villain because he doesn't know what he/she is doing trope. But yea like you said it can also go very south for the character.
    I still think a super soldier centric movie like this might be the most viable way to introduce Sentry live, and who really knows. Depending on the movie, Marvel movies no longer take over pop culture automatically (looking at Eternals and Quantumania compared to the wrapping Gunn Guardians trilogy). Just being a good movie could be more than enough.

Spectacular Member

I don't think that there is any way at all to tell a Sentry story through the medium of cinema, given the largely comedy-centric approach to the MCU.

The potential appearance in Thunderbolts will more than likely, as others have stated, be utterly disastrous.

I am of course, fully ready to eat my own words in the event that I am proven wrong.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Guardian View Post
    I don't think that there is any way at all to tell a Sentry story through the medium of cinema, given the largely comedy-centric approach to the MCU.

The potential appearance in Thunderbolts will more than likely, as others have stated, be utterly disastrous.

I am of course, fully ready to eat my own words in the event that I am proven wrong.
    The Thunderbolts movie (which I was already expecting only because of some confirmed actors) is already delayed due to the actors/writers strike so I'd advise you to not think much about it. All over again the long game is recommended for Sentry fans.

Or what if it’s good? I kinda like the basis for the story already being in Thunderbolts cause these are also for the most part characters who are trying to do good to atone for past mistakes. If they’re using Sentry as a parallel it shows at least some level of understanding of the character. Same with specifically tying to the SS program.

Yeah, I think Sentry has potential to be good in Thunderbolts, if they can handle the mental health angle respectfully. Steve Yeun is good, and I think he'd make a fine MCU version of Robert Reynolds, especially given the Asian American communities famously difficult relationship with mental health.

I don't expect a 100% faithful rendition of the character, but as long as the core of what makes Bob tick is respected, I'm down with it. The Void as the embodiment of his repressed, too long ignored demons.

Sentry in comics seems to be in limbo since his appearance in Strange, but I hope if Cates can't get back into things, that Mackay will use him in Moon Knight at some point.

Spectacular Member

It's definitely a tonal-tightrope with regards to the Thunderbolts film.

I have full faith in Yeun the actor. But as a sufferer of similar afflictions to Bob, I do not want to see his problems taken lightly, or played for laughs.

And please, please PLEASE let us avoid the mentally ill = dangerous trope. It's insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post

I still think a super soldier centric movie like this might be the most viable way to introduce Sentry live, and who really knows. Depending on the movie, Marvel movies no longer take over pop culture automatically (looking at Eternals and Quantumania compared to the wrapping Gunn Guardians trilogy). Just being a good movie could be more than enough.
    I don't need a Sentry appearance to "take over pop culture" but the movie to not only just be good but also to debunk the whole idea that the Sentry is "tOo pOwErFuL tO wRiTe iN sToRiEs" like some of these writers(and some fans in the comic community) believe, when I can list 5 non-Galactus characters way more powerful than the Sentry and have appeared in the MCU. Also I feel Sentry potentially appearing in the Thunderbolts movie will garner the character some fans. Finally I hope the film sets a STANDARD in how the Sentry's charater/mental illness is suppose to be portrayed especially to laymen(including writers).

I know this post may come off as me expecting a lot but as a Sentry fan we have nothing to lose really. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Guardian View Post

Yea the MCU comedy-centric theme can be annoying but... There have been many serious characters who have done well in the MCU. And the Sentry was not always 100% serious. His second volume under Jenkins was light-hearted, of course Sentry maybe the antagonist in the film but still the comedy stuff in the MCU has not stopped serious stiorytelling. Look at the Winter Soldier. No character is going to be 100% like their comic versions in the MCU. I think the Sentry will be good in the Thunderbolts.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Or what if it’s good? I kinda like the basis for the story already being in Thunderbolts cause these are also for the most part characters who are trying to do good to atone for past mistakes. If they’re using Sentry as a parallel it shows at least some level of understanding of the character. Same with specifically tying to the SS program.
    Marvel's writing the last few years has left much to be desired, I'm inclined to think this movie will be poorly written as well. I'd like to be wrong, but Marvel hasn't really given me reason to think otherwise.

It could play well with good writers, but Marvel has had poor writing in most films since Endgame. I hope it's a great movie that does Sentry and the T-Bolts justice, but I don't have much reason to think that it will.

It could play well with good writers, but Marvel has had poor writing in most films since Endgame. I hope it's a great movie that does Sentry and the T-Bolts justice, but I don't have much reason to think that it will.
    I just badly wanna see a trailer before I get to hyped or pass judgement.

I know not everyone will like a character, but Jesus Comicvine seems to hate the Sentry with a burning passion lol. Not to bring toxicity here.

I know not everyone will like a character, but Jesus Comicvine seems to hate the Sentry with a burning passion lol. Not to bring toxicity here.
    ComicVine is terrible.