Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526
    Spectacular Member

Absolute bag of toss. Later days, Marvel.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Captain Marvel is a flying brick whose last name is Danvers
    True, but it's only been fairly recently that anyone considered Carol as a Supergirl pastiche -- and boy did Marvel really go overboard in reimagining Carol in that light. Certainly, few, if anyone, viewed Mar-Vell as Superman, even though they shared several commonalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I did notice the Sentries showed a lot of the same common Sentry powers and Mallory showed the most speed by far, Fahrrad had nothing on her. When Ryan asked about what powers he got, I assumed he was an idiot and eventually wouldn't have an idea about what was going on.
    I read somewhere that Sentry has vast psionic powers as well as molecular manipulation abilities. Did anyone receive these powers?

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Man, Bob's continuity has always been all over the place. I've been rereading all the old Sentry stuff lately. Bendis retcons the origin of the Void and why everybody forgot Bob immediately as both being the result of Mastermind's mind-virus. Then Jenkins does the second Sentry mini and goes back to the idea that the Void has been there all along and is part of Robert (in fact, that mini states the Void is the real Bob). It also explicitly makes Robert a paranoid schizophrenic from the beginning, whereas in the original Sentry story (at least as I interpreted it), Bob only seemed crazy because nobody remembered him (and Stan Lee implied that his agoraphobia was part of making sure he forgot who he was by keeping him away from the outside world).

Then Bendis, who made it seem like the Void was the result of Mastermind messing with Bob's mind, implied that the Void was a Biblical figure that sent the plagues of Egypt.

So, while I love the Sentry and thing he's an incredibly unique and interesting character, his continuity has never made much sense. It's like retcons and contradictions stacked on top of each other. I guess it kind of fits a character with multiple personalities and scrambled memories that have been proven unreliable.
    Thank you for pointing this out. It's one of the things that made it difficult for me to invest in the Sentry in the early days. I never knew what or who we were getting from title to title, series to series. I get why some writers might be tempted to see him as a gestalt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I read somewhere that Sentry has vast psionic powers as well as molecular manipulation abilities. Did anyone receive these powers?
    So far Fahrrad was able to access all his friends minds at once when he acquired his powers, which overwhelmed him. Interestingly Bob was never the type to normally intrude on other people's minds, but the Void liked to mentally torture people on occasion. There's the infamous global mindwipe incident, when it comes to that. Since Fahrrad was a mutant, Professor X or the X-Men should have contacted him eventually, had he lived.