Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    It's a tired, old trope centered on the premise that god-level power drives all human beings -- or any sentient creature with analogous mental capacity -- insane. In the Sentry's case, I think he was already riven with a fragmented psyche BEFORE he took the pill. So, in addition to the drug boosting his physical characteristics to prodigious extremes, it also amplified his fragmented mind. Writers have touched on something similar with the Hulk and many other characters. It's steeped in the cynicism that all human beings are flawed, so you're only ever going to get an exponentially more unstable, albeit godlike being.
    What you say makes sense from the trope perspective, but I don't think it's the case for the Sentry. And I blame the writers for hiding important information in Sentry character bios.

Sentry didn't struggle or go crazy from too much power. He struggled due to the responsibility he had. That's pointed out in the Sentry character bio in the second Sentry series. It's stated that flying across the planet non-stop and saving various people was wearing him down. That's too much responsibility for anyone to handle. He is almost the only hero on Marvel Earth who has that kind of power and versatility. Imagine Spider-Man talking about power and responsibility. But Spider-Man can't stop a mugging at the end of the city because he doesn't have the power set. Sentry can stop a mugging on the other side of the planet. This is why he had CLOC, a robot servant, monitor crime and disasters and tell Sentry what to prioritize. In a fight against Sentry Iron Man hacks CLOC and Sentry receives all of the information at once – and breaks down because he can't make the call about who gets to live and who doesn't.

What I just wrote is in itself an amazing concept and something that should have been explored in Sentry comics. Sentry is someone with a lower set of morals. He's gonna rip you apart if you endanger others and there is no one on Earth who can stop him. You can do a lot of things with that. But that has been covered in a character bio and a few panels in various comics. It's just... missed opportunities left and right with this character and Marvel.

And I wouldn't even say that the super soldier serum elevated Sentrys mental illness. That's not only not necessary, but is also... less depressing than the alternative: His mind remained the way it is but his body changed to a point where drugs, toxins and ultimately also important medicine simply doesn't work on him. So now you have this mentally ill guy who is powerful to a point where nothing can harm him, but nothing can improve his mental state either. And schizophrenia is not a mental illness you can just let free roam. You need medications for it to keep it in check. It's a very, very complex illness and with the powers of a reality warper, you could do some really crazy stuff with it. But all Marvel does is manifest it in the form of the Void, over and over and over and over and over again. The character has been in comics for 23 years by now, on and off, and every single time we see him it has to do something with the Void.

If you ask me, then Sentry stories write themselves. I'm fairly confident I could write 100 Sentry comics without ever devolving into the Void themes for more than 3-4 panels. I do think that Void is an incredibly important and appealing part of the Sentry, but not when it's all there is. Sentry already has his own Rogues gallery which can be expanded on, he has potentially interesting supporting characters, has more than enough themes and personality surrounding him to easily carry everything on his own etc. But no, Marvel keeps going back to the Void and even worse, immediately killing the Sentry off. For an supposedly immortal character he has been more dead and a zombie than he has been alive. It's like a running gag at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Doubt we'll see him back for a couple years yet, to be honest. Cates was clearly going someplace and that seems to be out of the question now.
    What happened to that? Did Cates move on to another company and creator-owned characters? Haven't been following comics in a while now.

And knowing how Marvel comics like to tie themselves to the MCU, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw stuff on the Sentry as soon as the Thunderbolts trailers and we see the Sentry. But boy, am I concerned about that movie. The Sentry casting is... eeeh. (If the rumors are true.)
    Last edited by ENTRYS; 07-29-2023 at 10:34 AM.

Doubt we'll see him back for a couple years yet, to be honest. Cates was clearly going someplace and that seems to be out of the question now.
    Like I said if the Sentry really is in Thunderbolts, then we will see what happens around the time when a trailer is released for the film.

At this point, no one really knows for sure what happened with Cates. He's been mum on it. We know he went through a divorce and that's about it. There has been a LOT of rumors and innuendo giving his troubled personal history.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 07-30-2023 at 12:05 AM.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...-luigi-zagaria

Speaking of the devils future...

Yeah, I dunno about that one chief. I'm obviously gonna buy 5 copies of each issue and the TPB afterwards - and probably cover everything on Youtube again, but god damn, am I not hyped for that story.

"WHO WILL BE THE NEW SENTRY???"

Let me take a wild guess: an Asian guy because of Steven Yeun.

I'm just so tired of Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by ENTRYS View Post

Yeah, I dunno about that one chief. I'm obviously gonna buy 5 copies of each issue and the TPB afterwards - and probably cover everything on Youtube again, but god damn, am I not hyped for that story.

No, no. You mean: "I'm just so tired of MCU corporative synergy".

But is stil a little early to make any guess about this "new Sentry", right? Maybe Marvel will surprise everybody with something different and not an asian guy.

Because if I was a bad person I would thought than having an asiatic actor interpreting an asiatic Superman like character is just an strategy/excuse to sell the movie in China...

If I was a bad person .
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 08-09-2023 at 03:40 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I think you're right. I wouldn't mind a new Sentry as much if Bob hadn't gone out like a total chump to Knull and then had his corpse dragged around like a toy by Fisk's Thunderbolts. Guess that's the last we'll see of Robert Reynolds for the next few years at least.
    Last edited by Celtic1967; 08-09-2023 at 04:33 PM.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

I enjoyed this series the first time I read it, when it was Image's Dynamo 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I enjoyed this series the first time I read it, when it was Image's Dynamo 5.
    Not going to lie. I thought Shazam movie.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Not going to lie. I thought Shazam movie.
    Or Superfamily remix.

Or Reing of the Sentry.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Yeah. The cynics in us will see this as all about Steve Yeun.

I like Steve Yeun, but come on.

Yeah. The cynics in us will see this as all about Steve Yeun.

I like Steve Yeun, but come on.
    To be fair i did not read the article. My initial thought was "they look diverse... but i've been fooled with shadow before." then i read the five and the previous post and was like "that looks and feels kind of shazam movie" i don't even know what dynamo 5 actually is.

** correction quick google and i do know dynamo 5 and actually read it but at this time am now only getting flashes of memories." lol They were like siblings or something with clone dna, i only looked at an image but it's coming back to me. maybe not clones but definitely siblings and i think each had one of their fathers powers. lol so yeah subconsciously i was on point here. very shazam movie but dynamo 5 first.
    Last edited by jwatson; 08-09-2023 at 07:53 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

I myself had the idea for 'Sentries' years ago, so I don't even think thre's anything wrong with this direction. It's rooted in the charater's lore via scout already.

But *come on*, you know? We can all see where this will probably wind up, alongside likely undermining things that did make Bob unique as a character.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 08-09-2023 at 08:00 PM.

it could be good. Won't know until the story is released. just because it feels similar doesn't mean it can't add something different or additionally relevant.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    it could be good. Won't know until the story is released. just because it feels similar doesn't mean it can't add something different or additionally relevant.
    I haven't said it won't be good.

Just that a particular ending seems really, really, really likely.

Astonishing Member

I feel optimistic but don't necessarily think it has anything to do with Steve Yeun. If anything Marvel getting more Bob content out there makes me feel sure that the Thunderbolts role is closer to be more than a rumor, or at least that Sentry will still become live action if Marvel movies continue to stick around.

And I mean casting Wu Jing in the giant shark movie The Meg with Fast & Furious star Jason Statham made that movie make more money on opening weekend than the average Hollywood blockbuster in China, but Wu Jing is the biggest movie star in that country in the first place. Would Yeun make a similar difference in the first place in the rest of the world? I'm not convinced.

About the new comic I wonder if they will still keep Sentry's corpse around as a pinata to get power from. Strange's series I think did the best possible with that but it might be stretching far too thin now. I remember Osborn told Sentry he had the means to mass produce the Sentry serum to keep Sentry around and addicted, maybe writers still remember that.