Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

As far as I can see, Hellfire Gala, as well as the subsequent X-Men, Immortal X-Men, and Jean Grey , all made the Kindle Store's top 200 on the night of their release. And with the exception of some x-books, few superhero comics can do that.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PotniaTheron View Post
    As far as I can see, Hellfire Gala, as well as the subsequent X-Men, Immortal X-Men, and Jean Grey , all made the Kindle Store's top 200 on the night of their release. And with the exception of some x-books, few superhero comics can do that.
    That's very impressive, thanks for sharing that info!

Spectacular Member

The following three screenshots are X-Men#26, Immoral X-Men#15 and Jean Grey#1. These screenshots were all taken on the night of their release (Between 11pm and 12pm on Wednesday in the US. X-men #26 and The Immortal X-Men #15 were released at the same time.).
    C98C1A79-929C-40CF-94A8-6D4C8A0CA5FD.jpg
    869CE311-71EC-4A3A-95F9-B5D4F7D3545D.jpg
    3D36F129-FF10-42A2-B9B6-6077DF304CFC.jpg
    Last edited by PotniaTheron; 09-08-2023 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PotniaTheron View Post
    The following three screenshots are X-Men#26, Immoral X-Men#15 and Jean Grey#1. These screenshots were all taken on the night of their release (Between 11pm and 12pm on Wednesday in the US. X-men #26 and The Immortal X-Men #15 were released at the same time.).
    C98C1A79-929C-40CF-94A8-6D4C8A0CA5FD.jpg
    869CE311-71EC-4A3A-95F9-B5D4F7D3545D.jpg
    3D36F129-FF10-42A2-B9B6-6077DF304CFC.jpg
    Very interesting info, thanks for posting! With Marvel's official app now offline, Amazon is the major source for digital so these charts paint a useful picture.

Here are Amazon's "Best Sellers in Comics & Graphic Novels" (updated frequently):
    https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...gbs/books/4366

#12 X-Men #26
    #13 Immortal X-Men #15
    #47 Ghost Rider/Wolverine: Weapons Of Vengeance Omega #1

(I just want to point out that Watchmen by Alan Moore is #51. That's the kind of longevity I'd love to see for some X-Men stories.)

Amazon's "Best Sellers in 45-Minute Comic & Graphic Novel Short Reads":
    https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ext/8624156011

#3 X-Men #26
    #4 Immortal X-Men #15
    #8 Ghost Rider/Wolverine: Weapons Of Vengeance Omega #1
    #20 Magneto #2
    #25 X-Men Red #15
    #29 Children of the Vault #2
    #31 X-Force #44
    #41 Iceman #2
    #43 Wolverine #36
    #70 X-Men Red #14
    #97 Immortal X-Men #14

(Interestingly a number of issues are ranked that haven't been released yet. Dark X-Men #2 is ranked #93 and Uncanny Avengers #2 is ranked #96 as well. These must be preorder/subscription numbers.)
    Last edited by JB; 09-08-2023 at 08:13 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

List is confusing to me a little because is it just purchases of that week time frame? I only ask because there is no way that they have sold more preorders for Dark X-Men #2 they they sold copies of Dark X-Men #1. How does the Amazon list work per se, not trolling just confused.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    List is confusing to me a little because is it just purchases of that week time frame? I only ask because there is no way that they have sold more preorders for Dark X-Men #2 they they sold copies of Dark X-Men #1. How does the Amazon list work per se, not trolling just confused.
    It's a good question and your guess is as good as mine lol. I'm not sure of the time frame that they use and I don't haven't found any fine print yet explaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    (I just want to point out that Watchmen by Alan Moore is #51. That's the kind of longevity I'd love to see for some X-Men stories.)
    House of M is a permanent entry in the top 100. Few other if any Marvel titles can claim that. Now it's obviously not an exclusive X-Men story though they definitely got most of the fallout.
    But it makes sense. Think back to Judgement Day or Sins of Sinister. They basically came as they went. Nobody cares about them anymore since even the books themselves have quickly moved on from them. That doesn't make them bad by the way but that's not the kind of story that can ever become a classic that people years later still look back on and that even casuals have heard of and know some details about.

I would say the last story that truly has reached that status in the last decade is Secret Wars. But the problem with that is that it's the culmination of years of work in multiple books. There is no easily digestible form of it which is why you don't see it on any charts. Obviously not every story should even aim for that in the first place but I think it will be a very good while until we get a story again that actually manages to ascend to iconic status. If remember correctly the next Marvel event is apparently has been in development for years. We will see what that entails.

It's more of a pretty current snapshot of things. It's not as apparent in the top 100 but if you look at older books you can see them moving up or down thousands of places on a daily basis or even multiple times a day.
    "This is me being reasonable"

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/top-...eptember-2023/

This week's top 10. They also provided a list of comic stores involved.

Quote Originally Posted by MVComics View Post
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/top-...eptember-2023/

This week's top 10. They also provided a list of comic stores involved.
    Thanks for posting! I've always been interested in learning which stores were involved, particularly their regions. I don't see the shops in my area so I'll be digging into them this weekend to learn more.

Thanks for posting! I've always been interested in learning which stores were involved, particularly their regions. I don't see the shops in my area so I'll be digging into them this weekend to learn more.
    So the list of stores that use the ComicHub system, which provides us the monthly rankings, is missing some of the biggest stores/chains in the US.

Midtown Comics in NYC, arguably the most popular comic shop chain in the US, is excluded. It has 4 locations and a robust online store where you can preorder comics. Forbidden Planet in NYC is missing as well.
    Golden Apple Comics, Mega City, and Comics Vs Toys are missing and these are in Los Angeles. Golden Apple has a great online store and I've preordered variants through them.
    The Miami area is home to Korka Comics and its 3 locations. Those are missing, as well as Famous Faces & Funnies (my shop) and its two locations.

These are popular stores in huge cities with very diverse demographics. Unfortunately they are not represented in the monthly numbers.

So the list of stores that use the ComicHub system, which provides us the monthly rankings, is missing some of the biggest stores/chains in the US.

Midtown Comics in NYC, arguably the most popular comic shop chain in the US, is excluded. It has 4 locations and a robust online store where you can preorder comics. Forbidden Planet in NYC is missing as well.
    Golden Apple Comics, Mega City, and Comics Vs Toys are missing and these are in Los Angeles. Golden Apple has a great online store and I've preordered variants through them.
    The Miami area is home to Korka Comics and its 3 locations. Those are missing, as well as Famous Faces & Funnies (my shop) and its two locations.

These are popular stores in huge cities with very diverse demographics. Unfortunately they are not represented in the monthly numbers.
    Yeah when looking at the list of stores that they use it really made me realize those sales rankings mean nothing. The exclusion of probably the most well known shop in the country that also happens to be the one that handles both Marvel and DC print subscription services is a complete and utter joke.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Yeah when looking at the list of stores that they use it really made me realize those sales rankings mean nothing. The exclusion of probably the most well known shop in the country that also happens to be the one that handles both Marvel and DC print subscription services is a complete and utter joke.
    That's a great point and that's a lot of missing data. They ship internationally too.

I grew up in Queens and they opened their first shop in Times Square just before I started my first 9 to 5 in Manhattan. They opened early on Wednesdays and I would get off the subway at Times Square, run upstairs to get my books, then run back down to ride the train downtown to work. I'd say about a dozen subway lines stop there and the shop was always busy when I stepped inside. I wondered if they would be able to handle the exorbitant rents of midtown Manhattan but three additional store openings later they're doing just fine. Any sales data that doesn't include them is indeed laughable.

Astonishing Member

Wouldn't the major comic book companies give out their actual numbers. Marvel and DC know how many individual copies they sold.

Wouldn't the major comic book companies give out their actual numbers. Marvel and DC know how many individual copies they sold.
    yea! And they've said they would post theirs ONLY if their respective competition does. Hope that actually happens

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    yea! And they've said they would post theirs ONLY if their respective competition does. Hope that actually happens
    Wouldn’t count on it. Sales information is generally considered proprietary data and most company don’t release anymore of it than they have to by law. Even the ‘bestseller’ lists released by sites like Amazon or kindle or whoever, are more of a marketing tool than a sales disclosure (bestseller lists can have more factors in their algorithm than just ‘sales’. Like weighting ‘dates’ and sometimes geographic regions, etc…) I obviously don’t know their algorithms, just general practices in sales.