Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    All race and gender represents in this instance is you choosing to reach for the lowest hanging fruit because you conveniently know you can disgustingly get away with it with zero consequences as long as you hurl it towards one specific group of people. You know that and you take advantage of it despite that you have zero proof that Buccellato was actually motivated by those factors. "It's happened to WW before" doesn't cut it. There's a difference between "I don't like how this character is written" and "This character is written like this because of misogyny". So I'd ask again, either provide some evidence that this in fact what's going on here, or admit that you just personally dislike how she is being written and move on. That would at least be honest and understandable, but apparently way too much to ask for.
    Yes i can. And i will continue to do it. Because there is more than enough evidence proving how sexist and anti gay the industry has been for the longest time. And like most prejudices. Many times they happen subconsciously. Which means the writers may not even know it. It may not be thereir real intention. But it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I was really hoping Godzilla and King Kong VS the Justice League would be a fun popcorn kind of read...but the plot structure was just really horrible. We start out with Clark and Lois on a date and it looks like Clark is going to propose when suddenly Godzilla appears and Superman is called into action. Okay, not a bad start; it sets things up and jumps into the action nicely...but then without any visual or notional cue it jumps to earlier in the day and we learn that Superman is working double time because he wants to take a vacation, we then get some scenes with the Legion of Doom and then more scenes of Clark's friends talking about him planning on popping the question...which is all well and fine but there's no tension because we already know that Clark's big moment gets interrupted.

If it was just played straight, with the opening being Flash and GL watching Superman zoom around the world trying to tie up loose ends before proposing, the ensuing scenes with the Legion of Doom and the Monsterverse creatures interspersed with the well wishes of the Justice League would have built up tension nicely, but by starting at the end it just feels like filler. I've honestly never seen such a simple editorial mistake tank a book like this.
    I HAVE seen books do weird stuff like that and yeah... it never worked well. The story just doesn't make sense properly unless you already read it once.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    Yes i can. And i will continue to do it. Because there is more than enough evidence proving how sexist and anti gay the industry has been for the longest time. And like most prejudices. Many times they happen subconsciously. Which means the writers may not even know it. It may not be thereir real intention. But it happens.
    Oh god now we're going into the "subconscious bigotry" territory. Sigh. This is farcical. It's long past time for people like you to be taken to task for the garbage you spew on a daily basis, and the fact that not only you're unable to provide any concrete evidence for the specific accusations you make, but you smugly proclaim you'd keep making them just because you can, says it all. Such a waste.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-20-2023 at 08:54 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I HAVE seen books do weird stuff like that and yeah... it never worked well. The story just doesn't make sense properly unless you already read it once.
    It just doesn't fit, it feels so out of sequence with the rest of the book and to no effect. Like, if showing the conclusion gave the rest of the book a feeling of dread then starting en media res would totally make sense...but this didn't do anything like that.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I was really hoping Godzilla and King Kong VS the Justice League would be a fun popcorn kind of read...but the plot structure was just really horrible. We start out with Clark and Lois on a date and it looks like Clark is going to propose when suddenly Godzilla appears and Superman is called into action. Okay, not a bad start; it sets things up and jumps into the action nicely...but then without any visual or notional cue it jumps to earlier in the day and we learn that Superman is working double time because he wants to take a vacation, we then get some scenes with the Legion of Doom and then more scenes of Clark's friends talking about him planning on popping the question...which is all well and fine but there's no tension because we already know that Clark's big moment gets interrupted.

If it was just played straight, with the opening being Flash and GL watching Superman zoom around the world trying to tie up loose ends before proposing, the ensuing scenes with the Legion of Doom and the Monsterverse creatures interspersed with the well wishes of the Justice League would have built up tension nicely, but by starting at the end it just feels like filler. I've honestly never seen such a simple editorial mistake tank a book like this.
    Sounds like a bad implementation of starting in media res and then flashing back to how we got to this point.

Oh god now we're going into the "subconscious bigotry" territory. Sigh. This is farcical. It's long past time for people like you to be taken to task for the garbage you spew on a daily basis, and the fact that not only you're unable to provide any concrete evidence for the specific accusations you make, but you smugly proclaim you'd keep making them just because you can, says it all. Such a waste.
    Keep defending the indefensible. I will continue to talk about DC being clearly sexist in the way they treat WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sounds like a bad implementation of starting in media res and then flashing back to how we got to this point.
    I've seen it done well, but not often. I can't think of any time they actually made the story better. either it's so short it might as well be a teaser panel, or it jumbles stuff up...

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Heh okay that Giganta joke was funny cause it brings to mind how size-shifter characters are always huge or small even during meetings.

Like how Atom-Smasher is always 30 feet or how Atom is always tiny during non-action group shots.

Keep defending the indefensible. I will continue to talk about DC being clearly sexist in the way they treat WW.
    Keep spewing your toxic garbage. By all means if you want to keep embarrassing yourself, then who am I to stop you.

Keep spewing your toxic garbage. By all means if you want to keep embarrassing yourself, then who am I to stop you.
    dc sexist ways got you real good it seems.

dc sexist ways got you real good it seems.
    You're so full of it, it's sad. You complain about bigotry, when you've been displaying that from the get go. The fact that you actually believe to have the moral high ground here is appalling.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Okay can you 2 knock it off?

This thread is not the place for this argument if there even is one.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Follows a long Toho tradition of teasing the monsters early, and then hiding them away until nearly the end.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Yeah it did make the end of the issue seem flat. We already got the big reveal so the rest was just set up. Plus we already know that the story is the Justice League fighting the most famous giant monsters ever, so we really don’t need an “attention getter”.

Ending the first issue with Godzilla emerging from the ocean would have been far better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Okay can you 2 knock it off?

This thread is not the place for this argument if there even is one.
    All I asked for was proof the author was motivated by sexism as he was being accused of. I don't believe accusations like that should be taken lightly and when they are thrown around like hot potato with no evidence, those who do so should be held accountable for it. But yes I don't believe this needs to go any further either since it's clear it won't actually go anywhere.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-21-2023 at 02:58 PM.